Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #1

Loss of aperture control on K100D

Greets,
New member here. Just getting back into terrestrial photography (have been doing astrophotography ) after many years, and decided to upgrade my ME Super to a K100D, so that I might continue to use the old lenses if I desired.

All seemed to be working well, using the DA 18-55 lens, until I tried using some of my older manual lenses. I set the aperture ring menu to permitted, set the focus on the camera to manual as well as general manual mode, and could indeed take shots, but the aperture didn't move at all when I adjusted the ring. It appeared to be locked wide open.

Turned the camera off, took off the manual lens, tested the aperture lever on the lense and it functions to move the aperture, so I know the lens is fine. I then reinserted the lens and it started working. Great! However...

Now when I reattach my DA lens, I get no aperture control. The lens is permanently stopped down to minimum aperture. Nothing I have tried will allow it to function automatically. The aperture lever on the DA lens also works fine, controlling the aperture of the lens as it should, as long as it is off the camera.

Have I somehow damaged the body? Msised a setting? Any way to test?

Regards,

Gary

Last edited by teamgs; 09-25-2010 at 11:09 AM.
09-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Gary, welcome, and sorry to hear this issue has come up. I've not had that occur with my K100d Super and manual/18-55 II use, so sorry that I can't offer anything useful at the moment. I'll look over my gear this afternoon and let you know if I can offer anything further.

Glenn
09-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by teamgs Quote
Greets,
New member here. Just getting back into terrestrial photography (have been doing astrophotography ) after many years, and decided to upgrade my ME Super to a K100D, so that I might continue to use the old lenses if I desired.

All seemed to be working well, using the DA 18-55 lens, until I tried using some of my older manual lenses. I set the aperture ring menu to permitted, set the focus on the camera to manual as well as general manual mode, and could indeed take shots, but the aperture didn't move at all when I adjusted the ring. It appeared to be locked wide open.

Turned the camera off, took off the manual lens, tested the aperture lever on the lense and it functions to move the aperture, so I know the lens is fine. I then reinserted the lens and it started working. Great! However...

Now when I reattach my DA lens, I get no aperture control. The lens is permanently stopped down to minimum aperture. Nothing I have tried will allow it to function automatically. The aperture lever on the DA lens also works fine, controlling the aperture of the lens as it should, as long as it is off the camera.

Have I somehow damaged the body? Msised a setting? Any way to test?

Regards,

Gary
Gary, what's the old manual lens you used on your K100D and that firstly refused stopping down ?
09-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks all. I am not at my home right now and it has been so long since I used the old gear that I can't recall the model, but it is an off brand 80-200mm zoom, manual only. It attached to the body with no excessive effort and the lens is in great (almost new condition).

Any way to test if the camera's aperture control arm/lever is functioning with the lens off?

With the lens off and camera turned off, the apertur control lever (at least I assume that is what it is) is in the full 'up" position, which seems to allow the lens aperture to stay closed down. I would assume that it should be in the down position to start. I can manually move the lever down with no effort, but it is spring loaded, and just pops back up again. I don't know if it became disenaged from the aperture motor or what, as I am not familiar with the basics of the K100D.

Regards,

Gary

09-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
I was wonder how I would test to see if the camera is moving its diaphragm actuator lever when called for. I would assume that it would need to be done with the lens off the camera.

I tried setting the preview mode to "Optical Preview", then when I used the main switch to select it, hear a motor whirring, but the diaphragm actuator lever doesn't move.

The viewfinder always stays dark, due to the diaphragm being stopped down.

Gary