Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 12:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Grey lines/areas on downloaded images?

Once ive downloaded the images onto my computer, Ive spotted on just a handful of my pictures, some grey lines in the images, and the other day one-quarter of the image was lost. These grey sections have not appeared on the camera view screen before downloading.

Could it be something to do with my K7 processor?
Something about the way im downloading thats more susceptible to corruption? (I just use USB connection so far, have not *yet* picked up Lightroom)
JPEG more of a problem? I use more jpeg than RAW at the moment...

My K7 is still in warranty, so if its the former, I guess I'd like to know now!

09-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I would replace the card before replacing the camera. Try using the USB cable for download if you are using a reader, try using a reader if you are using the USB cable. In other words, eliminate all possible reasons for corrupted photos before sending the camera in.

09-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Reader? As in card reader?
I dont have one, but was going to get a backup card nonetheless.

Yeah, i definitely dont want to have to take the camera back in to be checked, that would mean im back to film for backup meanwhile!

after spotting this previously, I always meant to check all the downloaded images before deleting them off the camera - guess what i will definitely be doing next time!
09-26-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I picked up a USB card reader for around $5.00 at Fry's Electronics. You put the card in, and then plug it into the USB port. It's not much bigger than the card, and the USB cord is just long enough to plug in. Doesn't take up much space at all in the camera bag.

09-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Cheers, Ill keep an eye out for something, although probably not an ultra-cheap one for the reasons above. Am also thinking about getting rid of my old PC and getting a new mac...

Also was going to buy another SD card today, but my local shop was shut for family reasons.
10-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
OK, have tried using a card reader and straight USB from the camera, still had one pic with an error.

BUT
Strangely the image looked fine on the LCD screen, but was damaged exactly the same way and amount which ever way i tried to download it.

Ive since formatted the card to see if that makes a difference...
10-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The next direction of finger pointing for me would be the card. Corrupt storage media can, while they appear to work, cause some strange things to happen.

10-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
Once ive downloaded the images onto my computer, Ive spotted on just a handful of my pictures, some grey lines in the images, and the other day one-quarter of the image was lost. These grey sections have not appeared on the camera view screen before downloading.

Could it be something to do with my K7 processor?
Something about the way im downloading thats more susceptible to corruption? (I just use USB connection so far, have not *yet* picked up Lightroom)
JPEG more of a problem? I use more jpeg than RAW at the moment...

My K7 is still in warranty, so if its the former, I guess I'd like to know now!
If the file had (physically) data corrupted in the download (ie. media transfer), then it would fail to successfully load and display in your viewer app. Or your OS would surely squeal about it in no uncertain terms advising that your HD has a sickness that needs urgent medicine.

Addendum: just to clarify on this alleged 'corruption' issue, it's really a simple task to test the theory by hashing the original file on its media (CRC-32, MD5), and then do same on the copied file to other target media.
I keep 2 neat shellspace tools on my systems for that purpose, only need one though, pick either if you run Windows;
http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/ http://beeblebrox.org/

I suspect that your issue is likely a colourspace/rendering problem, or some other simple graphics decode~render requirement that's out of kilter - do you have your stuff set to sRGB, or RGB, or maybe AdobeRGB?
Sophisticated graphics programs we use these days can play mind games by adjusting system wide things to suit themselves.
OK for those who know all the ins and outs.

I read somewhere the former (sRGB) is usually the best, universal, for PC/Web content display, though others here with more experience and expertise in this area this could better advise, and apparently some online webspaces eg. Flickr, give horrid display results for other that sRGB.

Good luck. Obtaining the good USB Card reader won't hurt matters either, esp for transfer speed advantage.

Ps: don't confuse the crude graphics codecs in Pentax firmware or equate it equal to your brutish computer and its equally exotic full blown GUI OS and software. Nor I'd suggest to blame your K7 here, it's adequate for its required display tasks, and if otherwise stable then no problem.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-09-2010 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Extra comment.
10-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

All the above - good solid advice. I would add just one further quick test you may be able to make.

If you have access to an alternative laptop/desktop computer simply try d/loading a few files, just to eliminate existing computer/software probs.
10-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
i did a studio shoot on the weekend and shot completely in RAW and hadnt noticed any damaged images. maybe formatting the card worked... ill keep monitoring
10-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you only have one card?
10-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Maybe worth mentioning that the image that you see on the back of the camera is the thumbnail that is 'integrated' in the jpeg or raw image. Might well be perfect but the real image (jpeg or raw) can still be corrupted.
10-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Do you only have one card?

not any more
the card in question was a 16GB sandisk extreme, ive since bought a back up 8GB sandisk extreme... see how it goes, couldnt spot any failures on the weekends shots, but they were all in RAW.