I try not to do it very often.

And now, back to bashing Pentax.

09-27-2010, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Yeah, that would have been "smart ass'.
I try not to do it very often.

And now, back to bashing Pentax.
"ASS" is a four legged creature, a bit like a donkey.

Queens English and all that....
09-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Ok...that was what I had been suspecting, it is due to the DFS...so, on bodies like saaaaay, a K-5 where we can (maybe) turn it off then the delay will be a lot less? Leaving DFS to me if I choose to use a reference shot and do it myself in post? DFS is sorta magic to me and I only learned about it this year.
Yup. If you time your "long saving", you'll find it to typically be exactly the same time as whatever the exposure is.

e.g. after a 35 second bulb exposure, the camera will be unusable for another 35 seconds. Same for non-bulb exposures starting somewhere in the 3-6 second range.

Currently forced auto-DFS applies to the K20D and K-7, not sure about any of the x00 series and of the K-m/K-x.
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Yup. If you time your "long saving", you'll find it to typically be exactly the same time as whatever the exposure is.

e.g. after a 35 second bulb exposure, the camera will be unusable for another 35 seconds. Same for non-bulb exposures starting somewhere in the 3-6 second range.

Currently forced auto-DFS applies to the K20D and K-7, not sure about any of the x00 series and of the K-m/K-x.
EXACTLY what I found out...I did time it out of curiosity one day...I wanted to get some times to have a rough idea how long I would need to wait before the next shot...it was a fireworks night. So what i did was try longer exposures in hopes of getting multiple explosions then would grab a fresh mug of coffee...

I appreciate the explanations about the whole DFS and how it does affect the processing time by the camera in saving the image file. And also for confirming that a reference shot combined with the ability to disable the DFS could really improve the speed and let me grab more shots.

Nice info and thanks for the explanations!!

09-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
"ASS" is a four legged creature, a bit like a donkey.

Queens English and all that....
Pardon me, I type with an accent.
09-27-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Pardon me, I type with an accent.
You surely do from that part of the world, I flew into Baltimore a long time ago but never went any further south. One day we'll explore that part of the US.