Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, it's the embedded JPG that gets shown by default on newer versions of the Pentax software (PDCU). This embedded JPG is highly compressed, so what you're seeing as banding are in fact the JPG compression artifacts. It had me puzzled for a while too, because this was not the behavior with previous versions of the PDCU.

The setting you need to change to get to see the actual DNG image is under: Options\Image Display tab\Main Image Window - Display Raw File option - this has to be set to RAW 100% instead of Simple Display.

Once you change this, you'll see why they had the default option set to show the embedded JPG - because it takes a lot of time to uncompress and process the DNG information.

09-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I realized now that you were seeing this behavior both with PDCU and through that faststone viewer - it's the same problem and you should look into the settings of the viewer. The 100% crop you see shows JPG artifacts. Banding looks different - it forms lines of pixels, not blocks of pixels.
09-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Yes, it's the embedded JPG that gets shown by default on newer versions of the Pentax software (PDCU). This embedded JPG is highly compressed, so what you're seeing as banding are in fact the JPG compression artifacts. It had me puzzled for a while too, because this was not the behavior with previous versions of the PDCU.

The setting you need to change to get to see the actual DNG image is under: Options\Image Display tab\Main Image Window - Display Raw File option - this has to be set to RAW 100% instead of Simple Display.

Once you change this, you'll see why they had the default option set to show the embedded JPG - because it takes a lot of time to uncompress and process the DNG information.
I think Laurentiu is spot on the issue you are experiencing.
09-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It had me puzzled for a while too, because this was not the behavior with previous versions of the PDCU.
Thanks guys for all the helpful explanations.

Laurentiu, when u said this puzzled you for a while....are u saying you experienced the same thing somewhat?

09-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Yes, it's the embedded JPG that gets shown by default on newer versions of the Pentax software (PDCU). This embedded JPG is highly compressed, so what you're seeing as banding are in fact the JPG compression artifacts.
The compression artifacts can produce posterization as originally pointed out by enoeske.

click on this page:

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings

and scroll down to the example sun and bird
this is a very good example showing how the JPG compression can produce posterization of the sky
(albeit an orange sunset sky)
09-27-2010, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Laurentiu, when u said this puzzled you for a while....are u saying you experienced the same thing somewhat?
The behavior of the PDCU (Pentax Digital Camera Utility) version that came with K10D was to show the actual image. When I got my K-7, I installed the PDCU version that came with it and my initial reaction was panic - I thought my K-7 was broken - then I looked closer and I realized it's JPG compression artifacts I was seeing, so I started searching through menus for a way to make it show me the actual image.
09-27-2010, 12:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ahhh okay. Thanks Laurentiu for your help.