Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 - Banding in DNG but banding gone after conversion to JPG?

Hi

I went for a field trip and took some pictures. As I use RAW+ in all my shootings, I have a set of DNG and JPG files on the sdcard.

When i inspected these DNG and JPG files on the computer screen using faststone viewer, it is apparent that some of the DNG files (not all, however, only a selected few) exhibit a certain degree of banding. Re the following image.
Attachment 71645

Here is a 100% crop of the DNG:
Attachment 71644

The JPG file is fine however, no sign of banding whatsoever. Re. the following image:
Attachment 71647

Puzzled why this is happening, i use Abobe Raw to convert the original DNG to JPG and sure enuf the final output JPG is totally clean, no banding whatsoever. The original DNG file under Adobe RAW is also totally clean and without banding and the conversion output is therefore also clean. It is only that when i view the DNG under fastsone viewer (and even when viewed on the K-7's 2.7" screen) that i am able to detect this banding.

I also loaded up pentax camera utility (lastest version) and use it to inspect the original DNG and on the screen, the banding on the DNG is still present but the minute i touch any of the picture settings (to change from say vibrant to mute, or any other settings), the banding on the screen is immediately gone!

I am not complaining (as the final output jpg is clean and the DNG just fine after a resave), but I would like to understand why this is happening.

Any ideas?

raider

Last edited by raider; 02-07-2012 at 06:35 AM.
09-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't use fastone viewer but I would suspect how the program renders RAW file thumbnails could be the issue. Since you have no problems with ACR, the issue would be isolated to fastone. Suggest you give Adobe Bridge a try.
09-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But why would K-7's LCD screen show this banding on the DNG file as well?
09-26-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The preview on the camera is a preview of a jpeg. It does not show the raw data, but the embedded jpeg. Check your in camera jpeg settings (specifically, *** quality). Your raw developer may be showing you a preview using the embedded jpeg as well. ACR doesn't.

09-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can't display a RAW file directly. A program must interpret it for you to see it.
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The preview on the camera is a preview of a jpeg. It does not show the raw data, but the embedded jpeg. Check your in camera jpeg settings (specifically, *** quality). Your raw developer may be showing you a preview using the embedded jpeg as well. ACR doesn't.
As enoeske said. Also, faststone may be developing a temporary image to show you.
09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
But why would K-7's LCD screen show this banding on the DNG file as well?
probably some defective pixels. have it checked to be sure.
09-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The in-camera jpeg setting is set to maximum at 4 stars.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
probably some defective pixels. have it checked to be sure.
I am inclined to think that it is not the LCD issue as the LCD is displaying the same banding as the DNG's preview on the computer screen. If it is defective pixels on the sensor, the raw file will have that kind of defects even after post-processing.

The thing is i never have this issue since the day i bought the k-7....not a main prob however, i am just curious to know why.

09-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How was the 1st image with the banding produced? Is that the JPEG out of the camera, and the bottom [3rd] image the JPG created from the DNG? Sorry for being 'thick' on that if that should have been clear.
09-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well the best I can figure is a 12 bit RAW file has 16x more data than an 8 bit Jpeg. I doubt the camera's LCD can fully show extremely fine detail or gradation, thus you're seeing the occasional moire. Should be gone when you zoom in.
09-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #10

Moire usually shows up on the lcd, as creampuff said, your final image won't have it, so don't worry about it. (if you zoom in you will notice the moire on your lcd should go away)
09-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
How was the 1st image with the banding produced? Is that the JPEG out of the camera, and the bottom [3rd] image the JPG created from the DNG? Sorry for being 'thick' on that if that should have been clear.
The 1st image is the actual screen of the DNG file as seen from faststone viewer. I use fastsone to open the DNG file and save it as an jpg file and resized to 800 x 600.

The 1st image is exactly how the image is displayed on my PC screen. As can be observed, there are slight "banding" on the sky.

The 3rd image is the JPG created from the DNG using adobe raw. Clean with no banding.

The JPG created by the K-7 as part of the RAW+ mode is also clean with no banding.
09-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
by the way, is this called banding or moire or ??
09-26-2010, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

its Posterization

Posterization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
09-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The in-camera jpeg setting is set to maximum at 4 stars.
It's unlikely that the jpeg previews for RAW use this setting, if it is even that. More likely it is faststones's temporary interpretation.
09-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

The 1st image is the actual screen of the DNG file as seen from faststone viewer. I use fastsone to open the DNG file and save it as an jpg file and resized to 800 x 600.
The 1st image is exactly how the image is displayed on my PC screen. As can be observed, there are slight "banding" on the sky.
The 3rd image is the JPG created from the DNG using adobe raw. Clean with no banding.
The JPG created by the K-7 as part of the RAW+ mode is also clean with no banding.
Ah, I see. It's the embedded JPG preview that Pentax RAWs include within them. I don't usually see them, as I use Lightroom and it makes its own previews out of the RAW.

What comes to mind is that to increase performance the embedded preview JPG is using 6-bit (or 7, or 5?) processing. [???] I'm currently on my work computer -- no digital photo processing software on it -- but did you do a comparison between the count of colors between the embedded JPG and the generated JPG?