Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #16

I had a similar issue. Had my camera for a few month then the LCD stopped working, but I could still take pictures. Then one day it would turn on but none of the buttons or anything would work. I ended up sending it to Pentax for repairs, never heard anything from them while they had the camera. I did get it back within their estimated time frame though.

09-28-2010, 12:27 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ooh guys please :: is pentax really that bad ?? i just bought it and used it for a couple of days :: even didn't reach over 50 pictures :: !!! no way to send it back
09-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Some of the advice you've received is pretty silly, jumping to the 0.01% conclusion and ignoring the extremely likely 99.99% possibility that you are using inappropriate batteries.

My advice is stop fussing like an old woman and just buy some proper AA batteries.
09-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #19
Forum Member

A few things to try:

1. Buy some decent rechargable batteries
2. Before turning the camera on, half-unscrew the lens. For some reason this worked for me and allowed the camera to actually read the batteries.
3. Update the firmware - this is where the lens twist trick will help, as you can't update the firmware while the power is off.
4. Store the batteries out of the camera. I've been having problems with batteries draining after 3-4 weeks of non use. Others have said this could be due to a voltage leak but it doesn't bother me too much - if I'm not using the camera for a while I'll just take the batteries out.

09-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Some of the advice you've received is pretty silly, jumping to the 0.01% conclusion and ignoring the extremely likely 99.99% possibility that you are using inappropriate batteries.

My advice is stop fussing like an old woman and just buy some proper AA batteries.
don't blame me u don't know how hard i got this camera , so i quckly confuse with any post i read :: and by this weekend i'll go outside and search for the battries
09-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deltoidjohn Quote
A few things to try:

1. Buy some decent rechargable batteries
2. Before turning the camera on, half-unscrew the lens. For some reason this worked for me and allowed the camera to actually read the batteries.
3. Update the firmware - this is where the lens twist trick will help, as you can't update the firmware while the power is off.
4. Store the batteries out of the camera. I've been having problems with batteries draining after 3-4 weeks of non use. Others have said this could be due to a voltage leak but it doesn't bother me too much - if I'm not using the camera for a while I'll just take the batteries out.
thank u deltoidjohn for ur concern i tried about what u said but nothing happend, i will buy the battries like twist said and see what's gonna happen
09-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What country are you in? Why would it be so difficult to return back to Amazon, if the batteries aren't the problem?

09-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
What country are you in? Why would it be so difficult to return back to Amazon, if the batteries aren't the problem?
The OP is in Malaysia. Battery quality is a common problem in many places. At least that is what my daughter told me after she returned from extended visits to India and Thailand. She found that it was not unusual to buy what appeared to be a sealed pack of new batteries only to find the whole lot to be bad.

As for Pentax quality and the possibility that the camera is dead. Sadly, the general quality of new dSLR cameras is not up to the historic standards of what we have come to expect from the photo industry. According to Consumer Reports, a significant number of Canon (5%), Nikon (5%), Olympus (4%), and Sony (3%) dSLRs require replacement or warranty service. (They lacked sufficient data for Pentax, but indicated that the brand is no worse than its competition.) That is one in 20 cameras going out the door going back in as defective. Not good.

As such, it is important for new camera buyers to be aware of dealer return policy and camera warranty details before purchasing. The new buyer should also take care to thoroughly exercise their new toy to find any bugs or issues that might be present while the camera is still under warranty.

Steve
09-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks all of u guys for concering i really appreciate that :: i recived it from Saudi Arabia and am studing right now in malaysia so it is not easy to send it back :: i hope that the probelm is from the battries :: since am so busy these 2 days :: i will go out this weekend on friday and i will look for the type of the battries that the members told me about and hope i find it :: and anything new i will inform u guys :: my regards Sadeq
09-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Too late perhaps in this thread, but I would definitely suggest getting the non-rechargeable Lithium (Li) batteries--Eveready Ultimates, if they are available where you are. These batteries seem to last for thousands of shots in my K-x, and I would expect they have an impressive shelf life as well.

Adding any kind of rechargeable into the test introduces variables for the functioning of the charger, etc. I don't recommend it for this test, but I've bought the cheapest, off-brand Li photo batteries for other photo equipment, and never had one come to me dead on arrival, though there are differences in how long they last. On the other hand, I have received a number of DOA rechargeables and rechargeables that hold various levels of charge. It just takes one weak battery to keep the camera from working, and I think you are much less likely to get a bad Li battery than rechargeable.
09-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hi genev :: thanks for the concerning :: i wanna something that can give long time and don't end up quickly and also rechargable :: i think my best choice like the members said is sanyo
10-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks all of u guys yeah the problem was from the battries :: and i bought a new one