Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

Anxiously awaiting for a brown box with my K10D inside

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and thought I'd introduce myself and rave on a bit about the K10D. I am coming from the Canon camp, shot with a 20D, which I sold along with all my Canon gear, to switch to Pentax. I shoot mainly portraits, events, and landscapes, so the features of the K10D ought to suit me well. What motivated me to switch to Pentax was my Optio A30--I was just so impressed with the features and design that I researched further about the Pentax DSLRs and found the K10D. I love the idea of anti-shake built into the body and a weather sealed construction plus the ability to use old screw mount lenses with the body.

I've already received my lenses, a FA 35mm f/2 and a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, and from what I've read, the sharpness, contrast, and color rendition are said to be amazing. So far, the 50mm does have a buttery feel to the focusing ring, and I was surprised to see a manual aperture ring on the 35mm. This would work great with non AF manual extension tubes. Not sure if all Pentax FA and DA lenses have this?

Tomorrow, I'll also be receiving a focusing screen and magnifying eyepiece from ebay seller jinfinance, and I'll report back. Well I guess that's all for now. Until tomorrow, cheers!

09-07-2007, 03:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA lenses have no aperture ring and that's controlled with the thumb wheels on the camera (same for the few FA J series). The earlier lenses FA, F and so on all have aperture rings but unless you are using extension tubes or a teleconverter then you'll use the thumb wheel almost all the time.

The 35mm f2 is a smokin' lens and it will be interesting to hear what you think about the new system vs your experience with Canon

Welcome to one of the best kept secrets in photography. Hopefully you'll get used to the new camera fairly quickly and start posting some great pictures.
09-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the family. The K10D is a great camera. I am a little biased. Bought mine in Nov. Getting the K10D is only part of the wait. It takes forever to charge the lithium battery. 4-5 hours is normal. It is a great camera. I have switched a lot of Canon owners to Pentax. The menus should be similar between the A30 and K10D. Enjoy the new camera.
thanks
barondla
09-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I prefer the Canon p&s models. I now have a fair amount of experience with them including quite a few of the new models. I would have to say that Canon is a very cheap high quality p&s camera. *I* think it's the best deal going.

For myself, I still have the A520, it slips in my pocket and takes damn nice photos in auto.. It goes to parties, family functions and vacations. Always an easy camera to do exactly what the name implies and still get great results.. POINT AND SHOOT!

Forgot to mention.. The K10D rocks! It eats up new Pentax glass and shines with the old stuff. Truly a bargain workhorse. Sort of like a Chevy 350...

Last edited by Tom M; 09-07-2007 at 06:38 PM.
09-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I received the K10D yesterday but didn’t have a chance to test it out until today. The first thing I noticed was the body was heavier than I was used to. The body feels solid, and I noticed the weather sealing when inserting the battery.

I dove headfirst into the instruction manual and felt a great sense of joy seeing all the features built into the camera. The most commonly used menu items are easily accessible as buttons on the body i.e. the RAW, Fn, Green button. Let’s not forget the custom functions as well. There are so many usable features on this camera. The RGB histogram and in-camera RAW processing are more features I love.

The first image I shot was with a 35mm f2, and Peter you are spot on. The lens is incredibly sharp, razor sharp, and contrasty. The Shake-Reduction kicked in and a sharp image came out at 1/15! I then tried to use a 50mm m42 screw mount with adapter, which at first did not work. I looked everywhere in the manual, online, for the error "F–-", but could not find any information. It turns out I had to turn off the custom function Using Aperture Ring to 2 Permitted.

The only thing I don’t understand so far is why Pentax took the EV bar out of Hyper-Manual Mode?

Overall, I am in awe at how much camera Pentax packed into the K10D. The build quality, features, buttons, and lenses really make this camera what it is.

-imt
09-09-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks an often asked question. How do get my M42's to work on these cameras. Pentax should clearly put it on page 4 and not cryptically buried in the manual. But you can leave that setting alone and not change it now. Sorry I could have saved you the trouble of searching, an oversight...

That 35mm is great and decided on that route vs the 31mm which is said to be one of the best Primes ever built by any brand ever but my LBA budget is a little too limited for that level. Many have tested both and said the 35mm is darn close to being equal to the 31mm. As time passes the SR will be your best friend, Just make sure you remember to turn it off when using a tripod or when panning.