Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #16

PSP X2 and Pentax RAW

I purchased X2 and while it does handle Pentax PEF no problem, with the DNG I only get black thumbnails and images. According to the docs it does handle DNG, so imagine it will be ok with a minor update.

Everything else is fine though, probably the best ever version of PSP, the Express bar is great, have all the tweaking options on one easy to use bar.

And it is a lot faster than X and X1 in my opinion.

Phil

09-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Phil (Matix)

So are you saying that in order to process Pentax DNG files within PSP X2, you'd have to open them up first in the
'Pentax Photo Laboratory' (Silkypix) software (supplied with the K10D) and then copy them over to PSP X2, or is there no way that you can currently edit Pentax DNG's in X2 ?.......Period !
Sorry for the slight confusion on my part, but unfortunately I haven't received the X2 upgrade yet !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 09-11-2007 at 03:45 PM.
09-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Now since I gave my DS to my son, I have to wait for them to support K100D Super. I bought upgrade at 40% off that was posted in Corel news group.

Coupon Code: UG40OFFSEP (that's uppercase letters UG, numbers 40, uppercase letters OFFSEP)

If you are out of the USA people got the code to work by loading the USA Corel site then order and go to your account and it will come up in Euro. Hope it works for you.
09-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
Just curious...Is Corel the image editor of choice for those people outside the USA? I've noticed lots of canadians using it.... If you have Corel, do you ALSO have photoshop?
I think some people use Corel as it is less expensive than Adobe products. Also, there may be some Pentax-like bravado in not using the dominant product everybody else uses and talks about as if everybody else uses it.

I use both. Adobe photoshop has more sophisticated, complex image editing and manipulation tools. Corel's workflow and user interface is light years better. Adobe PS still sticks to the arrogant software programmer's dictum of hiding tools and making data inaccessible at times, i.e. the ALT key and the secrets it hides. A friend who owns a graphic design, advertising and printing company uses Adobe products for just about all editing and layout, Corel for quick edits and all printing management: it works for them.

09-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Donald

Re your point:

QuoteQuote:
Corel's (PSP's) workflow and user interface is light years better (than Adobe PS).
....which (cost not withstanding) is precisely why I personally stuck to PSP v8.10 for so long. Quite how I will get on with the new X2 upgrade I shall have to wait and see ?

Best regards
Richard
09-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
Corel's workflow and user interface is light years better.
All except the browser, I have had PSP 8, 10, X1 and X2. They can't seem to make up thier mind. I liked the browser in V8, they changed it in V 10 to something terrible, which had the browser menu bar always on top. Version X1 went back th the Version 8 browser, but version X2 went with the version 10 browser.
09-13-2007, 06:01 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Lowell

I think these kinds of ridiculous alterations are best likened to the automotive industry, where fashion rules over substance virtually every time. Somehow either the designers or marketing-types feel compelled to offer their customers something 'new' and 'snazzy', because "that's what the customer wants and expects" and it makes users more "Productive"
(God, I HATE that word, so beloved of Micros**t software's advertising blurb !) The fact that these imbeciles generally never get around to asking REAL people what they actually DO and DON'T like about a particular product or piece of software never enters their tiny little heads ! Go figure.....
A prime example of this idiocy is to be found situated between the front seats of the current BMW 5 & 7 series. It's gloriously entitled the i-Drive and any driver who has ever tried using this insane piece of inappropriate technology whilst driving at the same time is probably a) certifiably dead in a morgue somewhere or b) is heading towards the central reservation barrier of a motorway near you as we speak !!

Best regards
Richard

09-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Paint Shop Pro. Three strikes and you're almost out!

I've just about given up on Paint Shop Pro, switching now almost entirely to Photoshop. Some things about PSP that are indeed better, such as the overall cosmetics, the user interface, the browser (any version), and several of the one-step automated fixes. However, many of the actual tools are simply far too harsh for subtle photo editing, meaning Photoshop is certainly better in some ways too.

Further, Paint Shop Pro's price advantage over Photoshop is somewhat diminished by Corel releasing full price upgrades for things which really should have been provided in minor updates.

Finally, that lessened price advantage is compounded by Corel not sufficiently supporting older versions. For example, while Adobe added full support for the K10D (and every other supported camera to date) in all versions of Photoshop purchased since April 2005 (almost 2.5 years ago), those who purchased Paint Shop Pro just last month will have to upgrade to the latest version (another extra expense) to gain support for the K10D.

stewart
09-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Anyone try using the HDR functions of PSP x2 and compare them to photomatix? I can get the PSP upgrade for $40, whereas photomatix is $100, but if it's a lot better, then maybe there's no other reason to upgrade...
09-14-2007, 01:18 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Im' using free photomatrix which means I can only use "tonal compression" mode which is good enough for me.
Yesterday I gave PSP X2 hdr function a quick test. It has only two controls: brightness and clarify. The most annoying thing is that merged image looks like it was viewed on an old LCD from an angle - dark areas become blue tint negatives. I'll have to try it some more.
BTW Paint Shop Pro is my graphic editor of choice since v6. It's suitable for quick fixes and is capable of more thorough editing. I once installed cracked PS CS2 and didn't like it's floating interface. Besides it would take hours and days of sitting behind computer to learn Photo Shop to a level I know Paint Shop Pro and I have enough of that (sitting behind computer) here in office.

Last edited by Matjazz; 09-14-2007 at 01:30 AM.
09-14-2007, 11:21 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for your input...I'm not sure I like the idea of my dark areas having blue hues. I wonder if there is anyway to get around this, like maybe doing white balancing adjustments after merging the different exposures? Since I've never done anything like this before (I'm very new to PP), I'm just thinking out loud...perhaps there's some layering that could be done to get rid of this blue hue?

One other thing I am inferring from your answer is that you're finding that photomatrix does not have that blue hue problem?

Thanks again for your help!
09-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Here you can see what I'm talking about:
PSP X2 on the left and Photomatrix on the right.

Did anybody notice K100D in splash screen?
09-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thank you so much for posting those!! I think I need to save up for photomatrix... without those, I might have tossed 50 bux away for something I probably would not be totally happy with!
09-27-2007, 03:03 PM   #29
Forum Member

Last week I downloaded PSP Photo X2 for the free trial. Overall I liked what I saw until I went into the layers mode with a 16bit Tiff. I go an error message indicating that the function was only available for 8-bit files.

I went back to the Corel web site but could find no definitive answer to the 8 vs 16 bit issue.

Perhaps someone will clarify this for me.

Thanks
09-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #30

Your best bet is to got to the Corel newsgroup there is a X2 group.