Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Any evidence about new flash coming shortly?

09-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
They might decide to update very recent cameras, such as the K-7, because such recent buyers might be considered a market for the new flash, but not for a new camera. I don't think that, despite a lot of postings here, many Pentax owners buy every new body that comes along. How many own, or have owned, an *istD, a K10D, a K20D, a K-7 and are planning on buying a K-5? A few, but not many.
careful here, I still have an *istD, K10D, and K7D and use them regularly. The only reason I skipped the K20D is that it came out only 8 months after the K10D, and shared the same body, metering (which is not great) etc. I did not see it as a significant upgrade. The K10D over *istD was, as was the K7D over K10D. I will probably pass on the K5D for the moment though
QuoteQuote:

Pentax has to be aware that K-7 owners would be a potential market for a new flash (or even a new lens) that required new firmware.
only if the flash does something new, I already have an AF540FGZ
QuoteQuote:

OTOH, they might decide that those who wish to buy the new flash must first buy a new camera. Their marketing/accounting suits would have to decide which course of action would generate more revenue.
there would need to be a definitive change in capability of camera and flash to force this, and it would probably dictate my next purchase also
QuoteQuote:
I'm not saying that they definitely would provide such a firmware update: just that there is a business case for it, that is missing or less important for camera feature updates. If they add support for a new flash, they might sell a few more flashes. If the add support for a new camera feature, they might sell fewer new cameras. Which one has a snowball's chance in h*** of happening?

Personally, I think that significant future updates are very unlikely.
I would agree with the last point. I see no update to firmware for a significant performance change in flashes, that would come packaged with a new body.

along those lines, for me, the biggest improvements in flash performance pentax could make, and which would require a new body are,
- a much shorter flash duration for the same GN. this would allow higher shutter speed for trailing curtain sync, be better to "freeze" the action, and open the way for a higher overall camera sync speed
- re-introduction of TTL flash as an option for flash metering with legacy lenses
- along with the re-introduction of TTL, the ability to slave like older nikon TTL flashes, which sense the camera flash duration and terminate the slaves at the same time,
- let the camera select sync limits based upon the flash installed
- let the camera use the AF500FTZ in TTL mode (like the *istD)

Package all that up into the K3? along with a projection of further reduced noise levels and higher ISO in a 14-16 MP ASP-C chip, and you have me going out to get both flash and camera
09-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would like to have also video mode on full HD 1920x1080 25p on the K-7 so I can mix more easily my K-7 and K-5 video output together.