Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Future K7 firmware updates?

Now that the k5 is out, do you think the K7 will get any more firmware updates?

09-28-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No idea.
09-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I wouldn't count on it.

09-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #4
Inactive Account

No need for any. Mine works beautifully as-is.

09-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Now that the k5 is out, do you think the K7 will get any more firmware updates?
What would you like a K-7 firmware update to do?
09-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

all the updates I would want, which are possible with hardware change have been suggested since the *istD and none of them have made it yet into a camera, so I am not hopeful

aside from that, the camera does everything it was marketed to do, so, no I can't see any more updates unless someone finds a bug or two.
09-29-2010, 05:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As posted here above, I think the K7 updates are done unless someone comes up with a significant bug. It only makes sense that firmware development effort should be spent on the NEW camera. I'm sure they'll be monitoring field performance and feedback and making updates there as needed.

But I think the K7 is done. Great camera. It should keep me happy until the price on the K5 drops into my budget.

cheers

germar

09-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
As posted here above, I think the K7 updates are done unless someone comes up with a significant bug. ....
I have seen a bug, but it only happens when the battery is low.
the Av dial becomes incosistant, especially in the image review mode where it is totally eratic. I would have thought the I/O should work well below the battery fail detection not fail before the battery fail detection.

BUT this is a trade off on battery life/
09-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
REM
Forum Member

Would like a leveler calibration on the K-7. When people first started reporting that theirs was slightly off level while the K-7 was calling it correct, I checked and it was fine. Now it's about one notch off. No biggie, but smartphones nowadays have a calibration function, i dont see how hard it would be for a camera to have one.
09-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
all the updates I would want, which are possible with hardware change have been suggested since the *istD and none of them have made it yet into a camera, so I am not hopeful aside from that, the camera does everything it was marketed to do, so, no I can't see any more updates unless someone finds a bug or two.
Then there is the matter of Pentax Remote Assistant for K100D, K110D, and K100D Super. A zillion requests from us owners to fix that and all were ignored. I do have an *istD which is supported by R.A. An unsupported K100D with version 1.0 firmware sort of works, but once upgraded it ceases to communicate.

I love my Pentax DSLRs but have little faith in software bugs being fixed.
09-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by slinco Quote
No need for any. .
Why not? how'bout an update for 64 GB SDXC cards at least for video? Just a thought.
09-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I agree that firmware updates are unlikely, but not impossible. Pentax released an update (1.31) for the K10D just a few months ago. This was to fix a problem with some memory cards.

Don't look for any new functions, though, with one exception. If Pentax releases a new flash in the next year or two, and if that flash needs a firmware change in the camera in order to function, then I wouldn't be surprised if the firmware for the more recent cameras, like the K-7 and K-x would be updated. Possibly as far back as the K10D/K100D, depending on the complexity of the change.

In general, unless there's money in it for Pentax, or to fix a current model's bugs, Pentax does not have a great record of firmware releases.
09-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

even if pentax release a new flash, why would they go back and update cameras. Unless the flash is significantly shorter in duration, such that they can offer full sync speed on trailing edge trigger, as opposed to 1/2 full sync speed, I can't see it.

Maybe the K7 if the maximum opening time of the shutter is OK for 1/250th but the AF540FGZ is just too long a duration (possibility since it now overlaps a little the K10D shutter at full power) or if they could offer 1/250 at marginal power only, again assuming the shutter is open long enough
09-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

even if pentax release a new flash, why would they go back and update cameras.
in the hope that people with older cameras might want to buy a flash that works (maybe the new flash is not compatible with older cameras regardless of flash sync)
09-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

even if pentax release a new flash, why would they go back and update cameras. Unless the flash is significantly shorter in duration, such that they can offer full sync speed on trailing edge trigger, as opposed to 1/2 full sync speed, I can't see it.

Maybe the K7 if the maximum opening time of the shutter is OK for 1/250th but the AF540FGZ is just too long a duration (possibility since it now overlaps a little the K10D shutter at full power) or if they could offer 1/250 at marginal power only, again assuming the shutter is open long enough

They might decide to update very recent cameras, such as the K-7, because such recent buyers might be considered a market for the new flash, but not for a new camera. I don't think that, despite a lot of postings here, many Pentax owners buy every new body that comes along. How many own, or have owned, an *istD, a K10D, a K20D, a K-7 and are planning on buying a K-5? A few, but not many.

Pentax has to be aware that K-7 owners would be a potential market for a new flash (or even a new lens) that required new firmware.

OTOH, they might decide that those who wish to buy the new flash must first buy a new camera. Their marketing/accounting suits would have to decide which course of action would generate more revenue.

I'm not saying that they definitely would provide such a firmware update: just that there is a business case for it, that is missing or less important for camera feature updates. If they add support for a new flash, they might sell a few more flashes. If the add support for a new camera feature, they might sell fewer new cameras. Which one has a snowball's chance in h*** of happening?

Personally, I think that significant future updates are very unlikely.