what do you love?

what do you hate?

how weather proofed is it, I will be mountaineering with it

greatly appreciated!

09-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our camera review section is what you need!

Pentax K-7 Reviews & Specifications

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could also look at any of the 500 threads about it :-)
09-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would defenatly buy it again, really love it.

And wheather sealing, is this example wheater sealed enough

Believe me when i say that the K7 has better weather sealing than the photographer

09-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SkagitFly Quote
The good the bad the ugly?

would you buy it again?

what do you love?

what do you hate?

how weather proofed is it, I will be mountaineering with it

greatly appreciated!
Yes, I'd buy it again. But now that the K-5 is out I don't think there's any reason to buy it over the K-5 except price.

Pros:
+Excellent ergonomics. Easily the most comfortable-to-hold dSLR* I've ever used.
+Wonderful build quality.
+Small/lightweight.
+Fast AF for a Pentax dSLR. Was the fastest (along with the K-x) until the most recent gen.
+Accurate AF, too.
+Very good colors. Typical Pentax.
+Quiet shutter.
+100% viewfinder coverage is a blessing.
+Video is pretty good, if you care about that. (I don't.)
+Excellent battery life.
+Very good, though not perfect, white balance.
+Looks pretty.

(*with the optional grip)

Cons:
-Limited high ISO capabilites (though not as bad as it's made out to be).
-More noise/grain at base ISO than I'd like (though it's very "filmic" noise).
-SR blur issue as documented by Falk. It's real, and it can be a problem in certain circumstances (though at web res it's usually not really noticeable). This is the biggest problem for me, actually.
-Sensor's dynamic range is a bit weak. Easy to blow out highlights/get unrecoverable shadows. Just means you have to be more careful when composing/metering. Second biggest problem.
09-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #6

Go buy one! Brough mine 3 weeks ago and have no regrets. Only reason not too would be to hold out for a K5, but k7 is a good price at the moment. Weather seals and build quality are reassuring but if you're planning on mountaineering you going to want some extra protection or at least some good insurance.

What you got in mind, what mountain?
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
thank you for the replies everyone

I agree the K-5 sounds better but at $1000+ or so I can spend that money on lens/accessories

I need the weather sealing for hiking/mountaineering

any recommendations for wide angle lenses for large landscapes etc? I'm trying to do all the research I can but I greatly appreciate a little direction as I do my homework

thanks again!!

09-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Skagitfly, the K-7 is a lovely cam, I have one and other than one particularly geeky niggle concerning something seriously obscure and irrellevant to 99.9999999% of the world called DFS I'd thoroughly recommend it. It's weatherproof and all that jazz, lots of features, solid as a rock, so it sounds perfect for you.

Wide angle, the question is really does that need to be weatherproof too. Maybe someone else can chime in about the 12-24mm and 15mm if they're weatherproof or not, that said the 15mm is a small lens so that might suit your trekking. Other choices are Sigma 10-20 rectilinear and Pentax 10-17 fisheye. I have both, both are fine for normal use, the fisheye warps everything so it was an interesting novelty which has since worn off.
09-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
fantastic stuff!

nice pics above by the way

that is exactly what I am looking for

I do a lot of fly fishing and I would find it hard to be one without being in awe of the raw beauty of the river, its rainbows, mist, light, water, and the various wildlife that keep you company

I think it would be prudent to keep most of my lenses weather proof since I live in a snow, wet, rainy, mountainous area most of the time. So I do a lot of hiking and winter mountaineering which presents excellent opportunities for great pictures

I'd love a K-5 but the K-7 will suit my needs just fine

look forward to more info

thanks for the warm reception everyone
09-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Make sure to do a solid AF-accuracy verification when you'll get one... First two samples that i've got had AF gone south out of the box... beyond any possible adjustment... Third one I've got used and the previous owner had already sent it to get calibrated... so that one was spot on.
09-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Make sure to do a solid AF-accuracy verification when you'll get one... First two samples that i've got had AF gone south out of the box... beyond any possible adjustment... Third one I've got used and the previous owner had already sent it to get calibrated... so that one was spot on.
hmmm.... first time I've ever heard anything about this. Anyone else experience this?

-------------------------

And for the record, I love my K-7 to death. Its a fantastic camera which has served me well thus far.
09-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K7 is tough as nails and would buy a second one if not eyeballing the K5.
It does well in the rain.
After getting in from the elements, I just pop open the flash and remove the grip and remove any accumulated water.
All the water is on outside of the seals, just don't want it sit there and grow algae.
09-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #13

Original Poster
could you explain how I might approach a solid verification process? I would greatly appreciate you taking the time to do so and thanks for the tip!!

I am thoroughly excited about the K-7 and have high hopes for it to record a great deal of family and place

as I write my 17 month old is walking across the room backwards hah wish I had my K-7

I am really grateful for the help and ease of discussion and candor. Thank you to those who possess the expertise to give good advice to a soon to be new Pentax owner, I shall reciprocate the gesture in the future when I have immersed myself in all things Pentax

hope everyone has an enjoyable evening
09-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yes, I'd buy it again. But now that the K-5 is out I don't think there's any reason to buy it over the K-5 except price.

Cons:
-Limited high ISO capabilites (though not as bad as it's made out to be).
-More noise/grain at base ISO than I'd like (though it's very "filmic" noise).
-SR blur issue as documented by Falk. It's real, and it can be a problem in certain circumstances (though at web res it's usually not really noticeable). This is the biggest problem for me, actually.
-Sensor's dynamic range is a bit weak. Easy to blow out highlights/get unrecoverable shadows. Just means you have to be more careful when composing/metering. Second biggest problem.
Gosh the K-7 and K-x have so many problems and still happy customers. Will the K-5 and K-r really be any better? Did the world stop turning with the release of these two camera's? Do Nikon/Canon camera's have no problems?

Four body's is a lot to select from, too much:
- K-5 = 1200 Euro
- K-7 = 840 Euro
- K-r = 620 Euro
- K-x = 430 Euro
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
Gosh the K-7 and K-x have so many problems and still happy customers. Will the K-5 and K-r really be any better? Did the world stop turning with the release of these two camera's? Do Nikon/Canon camera's have no problems?

Four body's is a lot to select from, too much:
- K-5 = 1200 Euro
- K-7 = 840 Euro
- K-r = 620 Euro
- K-x = 430 Euro
Every camera has pros and cons. The K-7 is a great camera, but it has flaws like any other.