Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
bfo

QuoteOriginally posted by SkagitFly Quote
fantastic stuff!

I do a lot of fly fishing and I would find it hard to be one without being in awe of the raw beauty of the river, its rainbows, mist, light, water, and the various wildlife that keep you company

I think it would be prudent to keep most of my lenses weather proof since I live in a snow, wet, rainy, mountainous area most of the time. So I do a lot of hiking and winter mountaineering which presents excellent opportunities for great pictures
I do a lot of flyfishing and hunting. Never afraid to bring the K-7 along.

09-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #17

Original Poster
ooo you're in Norway?

care to share some pics or your exploits out on the river?

what's your set up if I may ask?
09-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I am very satisfied with K7 performance, well above the Kx (focus accuracy, ergonomy)
Never put it under rain or extreme conditions

One bad thing - the sensor broke after 10000 clicks (dark band on the left of all images) so I sent it out for warranty repairs 1 month ago. They moved fairly fast (received it on the 7th of September, ordered the parts from manufacturer and now status is "on repair') Maybe they'll put the new Exmor sensor on it

Anyway I preordered a D7000 so I can compare and if the Nikon (body and primes) deliver on my expectations, I think my Pentax will appear on the marketplace along with the kit lens and FA31.
09-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #19
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Silly question?

Hi, please excuse my question if it is a silly one, but how does the noise performance of the K-7 compare to that of the *istDs?

09-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
I am very satisfied with K7 performance, well above the Kx (focus accuracy, ergonomy)
I think my Pentax will appear on the marketplace along with the kit lens and FA31.
How much experience do you have with the K-x?
09-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
Hi, please excuse my question if it is a silly one, but how does the noise performance of the K-7 compare to that of the *istDs?
From what samples I've seen (never having owned the *istDs): better at high ISO, marginally worse at low ISO. But you're probably better off getting an opinion from someone who's spent time with both.
09-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #22

Original Poster
so the big complaints so far as I understand it are:

AF - some issues with fast moving objects, insects, birds, sports

ISO - assuming you're not doing concert venues for a job or are looking for a hardcore astronomy tool, should be OK for those of us who just like outdoor night star pics?

I think the price is unbeatable for this camera and it is suppose to be a solid rock

not sure how much the price might drop between now in x-mass but I can't imagine it would be found for under $600 body new

looking for more info and detailed raves and complaints or things to look out for, I'm pretty much sold on the K-7 due to its price and weather resistance

thanks again to all for your time in sharing your experience and insght

09-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Not sure about star shots. I don't do them, really, but there have been lots of complaints about "DFS."
09-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I think the price is unbeatable for this camera and it is suppose to be a solid rock
Same holds for K-x (with better High ISO and even lower price)
10-05-2010, 01:26 AM   #25
bfo

ooo you're in Norway?

care to share some pics or your exploits out on the river?

what's your set up if I may ask?
Yes, I'm in Norway. First: I'm not very advanced as a photographer. My setup:

Body: K-7
Lenses: Kit 18-55mm WR and 50-200 WR for outdoors. Tamron 28-75 mm f2.8 for indoors and when you know the weather woun't be a problem. Also have a M 50mm f1.7 and a M 200mm f4. Dont reallys use them much, but the 50mm is very good for non moving subjects (especially in low light/indoors) Manual focus is a pain in the ass if you plan to shoot anything moving (like kids....)

Optically the kit lenses are OK, but would love to have the DA* 60-250mm f4. Rather expensive tough, and also big and heavy to carry around. At least if your first priority is fishing.....

Wil try to upload a few photos later.

Last edited by bfo; 10-05-2010 at 01:37 AM.
10-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #26
bfo

so the big complaints so far as I understand it are:

AF - some issues with fast moving objects, insects, birds, sports

ISO - assuming you're not doing concert venues for a job or are looking for a hardcore astronomy tool, should be OK for those of us who just like outdoor night star pics?

not sure how much the price might drop between now in x-mass but I can't imagine it would be found for under $600 body new

looking for more info and detailed raves and complaints or things to look out for, I'm pretty much sold on the K-7 due to its price and weather resistance

thanks again to all for your time in sharing your experience and insght
The main complaints will depend on your current gear. If you come from a P&S camera (as I did) there's precious little to complain about in any way. Sure, some other brands offer better AF, and the high ISO of the K-7 isn't top notch. But I can't really see any better offer if ruggedness and weather sealing is high priority. At least not unless you plan to pay a lot more. As far as I know no other brand offer affordable WR lenses.
10-05-2010, 01:58 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Make sure to do a solid AF-accuracy verification when you'll get one... First two samples that i've got had AF gone south out of the box... beyond any possible adjustment... Third one I've got used and the previous owner had already sent it to get calibrated... so that one was spot on.
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
hmmm.... first time I've ever heard anything about this. Anyone else experience this?

-------------------------
First I have heard about it as well.

14,600 shutter actuations and no problems/complaints here. I will be picking up a 2nd K7 soon.
10-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Three part review I wrote when I got it:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I am planning on writing follow up really soon on occasion of hitting 10K shutter clicks mark.
10-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #29

Original Poster
again, wonderful information and thanks everyone for taking the time to share

this will be the advent of DSLRs for me from film and p&s

I am thoroughly excited. My father in law as a Nikon owner and loves them but or the price point I don't think the K7 can be beat for a rugged affordable lens/body

I am quite sure it will require some time to merely familiarize myself with the format before even considering how the camera shoots
10-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Three part review I wrote when I got it:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I am planning on writing follow up really soon on occasion of hitting 10K shutter clicks mark.
Boris great review, very helpful!

thx