Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x Auto 11 point focus? Any fan ?

Auto Focus is not really a game for the K-x, it is one of the my impressions over my camera after playing with it for almost 6 months...... It is not fast, does not have AF assist lamp, and you don't find the red dot on the viewfinder.... (part of the reason i m buying MF lense other than i hv short budget....)

Fine......it just happened this weekend that i had to take some pictures for my friend at a 100 miles bicycle event which means i hv to shoot him at a speed of 15 -20mph!!! At some point i almost think i m gonna take my P&S with me instead of my k-x.........

I decided to pair up with my DAL 55-300mm to take the shot, and i hope and i really hope it would keep up with the game. After playing with the AF option, i have found the AUTO 11 POINT FOCUS actually works !!! 90% of the SHOTS are IN FOCUS !!! I am shooting on the opposite side of the road and as he approaches from my right side, i tried to spin to the left and follow him on my viewfinder and shoot continuously....the object is always in focus beside some shot that is in focus but it is blurr becuase that my waist cant catch up with the speed of the biker (try to get a blur background using lower shutter speed ~ 1/40 sec)

I m happy with the result that the built in Auto 11 point and wonder if there is any other k-x user are happy with it !

09-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Forum Member

I don't yet have K-x (but I'm going to buy one). As far as I know from the reviews, AF "dies" in bad light conditions. In any other case over 85% of the images must be sharp and well adjusted. In case of poor lighting, 11-point autofocus can be adjusted for center-point focusing, which means that AF will be adjusted only on the center point of the viewfinder. You will of course loose all other points but it's better to have center-focused image rather than not to have focused image at all. Besides, you can use your built-in flash as an AF assist lamp (but you're gonna have to raise it manually in that case).
09-29-2010, 03:34 AM   #3

turning AF mode to AF-C (continuous) will make easy to track subject in motion.
LV has also track option if you prefer LV.
09-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
I don't yet have K-x (but I'm going to buy one). As far as I know from the reviews, AF "dies" in bad light conditions. In any other case over 85% of the images must be sharp and well adjusted. In case of poor lighting, 11-point autofocus can be adjusted for center-point focusing, which means that AF will be adjusted only on the center point of the viewfinder. You will of course loose all other points but it's better to have center-focused image rather than not to have focused image at all. Besides, you can use your built-in flash as an AF assist lamp (but you're gonna have to raise it manually in that case).

Thanks for the tips ! the reason i did not pick a point on the center or any point becuase i don't want my object at the center. While the biker is moving 15-20 mph, i do not hv the luxury to focus and reframe my object to where i want on my picture. So i just turn on the Auto 11 point and let it fire at will and hopefully it is smart enough to identify the biker which it did ! i fire around 7-8 shots per biker pass and most of them are taking the biker on focus, not the fence or the tree behind

Last edited by taiweitai; 05-25-2011 at 04:38 PM.
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by akanarya Quote
turning AF mode to AF-C (continuous) will make easy to track subject in motion.
LV has also track option if you prefer LV.
yup, Amen on that

AF.A is pretty much AF.S most of the time in my case..........AF.C is pretty reliable when i shoot moving objects