Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #1

Lossing time and date

Hi, I have a pentax k100d, everytime I change the battery, I lose the time and date. I never noticed that before. Any user who can confirm this is a normal behavior? Is it because I don't have the latest firmware? how do I know what firmware that I have?

Thank you very much.

09-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #2

This is not normal!

Maybe the battery for time&date in body is dead!
09-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It seems to happen randomly with me. I'm not sure if it's when I leave batteries out the camera for a longer period of time or what. It hasn't been enough of a nuisance to me yet and seems to have no long term effect.
09-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Inside your camera is a battery that keeps track of date, time, and other settings of the like. It's probably a watch battery.

It's gone dead. If it bothers you, you may be able to replace it or send it to Pentax to be replaced.

09-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
not really a nuisance but everytime I change battery, I have to set time and date. It's a bit annoying.

Wonder if it easy to change the cell by myselft?

Sending to pentax would cost money, sometimes just sending it cost 35$.

Thank for the reply
09-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have the same problem with my *istDs, and it's ridiculous. They probably used a small watch battery, but whereas my small point & shoot Canon has it easily accessible near the USB port that is impossible with my Pentax (and yours as well I suppose).

I've looked through the service manual, it doesn't even mention the battery (or I have missed it), but it seems to me that on the circuit board that is between the sensor and the LCD screen there is a small watch battery. You would have to disassemble large portions of the camera to get there, while risking to get electrocuted (and you have to unsolder a few wires on the *istDs to get there. Are they kidding?! (And my battery died on me a year or two ago, so the camera was about 4-5 years old at that time? If it would have taken 10 years, ok. But do they expect a DSLR to be out of use after 5 years?)
09-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I have the same problem with my *istDs,
same camera here. its UBER annoying when I go to sort my pics and I have pics I took earlier this year show up with pics I took yesterday b/c I forgot to check the date and time before I started shooting
09-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
HAHA!!

First, sad that nice little camara has little drawback like this. It's so ridiculous, they should have thought a way to change that easily.

Second, Glad to heard that I'm not alone

Third, Since I don't have date and time on my digicam. Sorting my zillions of picture sould be very difficult, I be shooting film instead with my Nikon.

Cheers!

Last edited by fanfaron; 09-29-2010 at 08:43 PM.
09-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If I have forgotten to set the date I try to reconstruct it via Lightroom. You can easily apply date to one photo there and all selected photos are then adjusted accordingly, so that's at least something. That way while I may not get the precise time at least the order should be alright.

It was uber annoying though when the battery died on me every 5 photos, because AA just suck, especially in the cold. (Ok, the eneloops are better, but still.)