Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
90 degree view finder

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone. I am new here, just registered lastnight in fact. I bought a Pentax *ist dl in May of this year and am having a blast with it. I like taking pictures of wildflowers and am wanting to get to where I can take photos at ground level. I did a search for info on a 90 degree view finder but didn't find anything. Has anyone ever used on and what did they think of it?

Thanks
Jim

09-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax makes a right angle viewfinder that sells for around $350. I have one made by Seagull (got it through Amazon for around $80; might also be found on Ebay for a bit less from overseas). My kness and back are a bit worse for wear so I find it useful when getting down low.
09-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

The Pentax Right angle finder A is expensive at about $400 new.

My suggestion is to look for the Olympus Variomagni and make sure its the OM version and not the newer one for their 4/3 system. These are almost as good as the Pentax one and a lot better than the Seagul, etc. ones you can find on Ebay.

The old OM version can be found cheap. I just this last week picked up one new in the box for $75 including shipping.
09-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have not used an angle finder but I need one too. Anyway, Kenko anounced a new one to be released on August but I am still waiting for some information. It's the "KF-001" and according to "http://pentaxlife.com/kenko-angle-finder-kf-001" it fits all PENTAX digital SLRs. Again, I have not further information.

Thanks for the hint on the Olympus.

J.

09-07-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Don't look at the Canon angle finder C. Either adapters will not fit the Pentax viewfinder.

I did get a Pentax 2X Magnifier FB instead for 99 Canadian dollars. It does flip out of the way when not in use. The only problem with this is that it is not an angle finder.

Pentax | Magnifier FB | 30990 | B&H Photo Video
09-08-2007, 03:04 AM   #6

Seagull one works fine for me

I purchased one from Hong Kong, a Seagull brand one, it works just fine, has 1:1 and 2:1 capability for viewing and for the price, $25 US it works for me. No complaints.

This was the one I got.

1-2X Right angle Veiwfinder for Canon, Nikon, Pentax... - (eBay item 120105090839 end time Apr-04-07 20:23:41 PDT)

Phil
09-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I purchased the very same Seagull right-angle viewfinder at amazon.com for $50...

Amazon.com: Seagull 1x Right Angle Finder for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Fuji, Olympus and Leica SLR cameras: Electronics

stewart

09-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone looked at modifying an older pentax finder.

Years ago I picked up a pentax 90 degree finder (with 1.5x magnification and diopter adjustment) in a pawn shop for $30 to use with my KX.

In looking closely at it, it would seem that the modification to adapt it to fit either my *istD or K10D would be relitively simple. There are only 3 screws that hold the slide, which fits into the eyeshield groove of the camera body, to the viewer.

I would think making a new slide (either from a replacement eye shield, or from scratch) would be simple. For example by canalizing the viewfinder cover, which already has the slides incorporated

Comments??

EDIT

Hold the comments.

Used the slip on eyepiece cover, removed old clip on shown below, drilled matching holes into eyepiece cover, and screwed in place

Works great on both K10 and *istD

sorry for the quality, but hard to get good shot of all black parts and show any detail

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 03-28-2011 at 11:30 AM.
09-15-2007, 01:34 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
i have an pentax 90 degree view finder in mint condition with orig leather pentax case for the older style slr i was hoping it might fit the k100d or the k10d ?
09-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shane Quote
i have an pentax 90 degree view finder in mint condition with orig leather pentax case for the older style slr i was hoping it might fit the k100d or the k10d ?
Shane

Your finder sounds like the same one I modified in my last post.

The modification is really simple, just sacrafice one plastic eyepiece cover, dismount the existing clip from the view finder, and use it as a template for the holes to drill in the eye piece cover.

You will need to countersink the holes in order to allow the screws to grip the threads.

I used a 1/16 inch drill for the main holes and 1/8 inch drill for the countersink

Total time for the modification is about 10 minutes, but use a drill press, or a dremell tool in a stand to be accurate.
09-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #11

ill have to give that a go, i recon but i might find another older style veiw finder as this one is in great nick and is a part of a nice mg/me super kit that i would like to keep it with. if i can find one ill just follow your lead
01-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Anyone have any luck with Opteka Pro or LIS right-angle viewfinders? I'm torn between the Seagull ($60 on Amazon) vs the Opteka Pro ($50 on Amazon) vs the LIS ($45 on Amazon). Seagull seems a safe bet from everyone's posts. Just curious, though.
03-09-2010, 03:29 AM   #13

I just tried out my new universal one (E-bay from Honk Kong £29).
1X-3.2X Right Angle Finder For Nikon Canon Sony Pentax on eBay (end time 17-Mar-10 03:42:01 GMT)
Not perfect - I had to refocus the eyepiece after switching magnifications - but it seems much brighter than the standard view and certainly helps with the low level shots.
03-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

slightly bent

I got an old-type genuine Pentax angled finder with leather case on eBay for maybe US$25 about 18 months ago. It did not fit on the K20D eyepiece -- the metal tabs were sized for a slightly smaller eyepiece. I pulled out my trusty needle-nose pliers and bent those tabs out just a little. And now it fits. And I rarely use it, nor the cheap 90 degree mirror assembly I got for 49mm-threaded lenses to shoot sideways, discreetly. The latter is tacky. The angled finder is just uncomfortable and inconvenient and unneeded in most situations, and clumsy when it *is* useful. But I'll keep it. I'm like that.
03-09-2010, 04:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since my first post on this subject, I have gone back and modified the origonal pentax clips to fit the DSLRs.

My right angle finder only gets used when I use long lenseswith the camera set very close to the ground, or when a camera is on a copy stand.

While little used, when needed it really is a necessity the shots are usually impossible or impractical without it.