Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone used the Dicapac underwater bags?

Hi,

Ever since I bought my film Pentax Zoom 90 WR I'm having a lot of fun in the water. Now, I want to take it a step further. I've been reading about underwater photography for a while and wow! it gets expensive fast.
I think it is not something to be done very frequently and not too deep. I've never done scuba diving (but I'd love to someday). Snorkeling at the most, but most likely swimming pools.
Anyways, One product I've seen good reviews on is the Dicapac SLR bag.
Has anyone used it? I don't think I'd trust my DSLR in that just yet, but one of my several film bodies can have fun in it.
Another advantage is that I can take my DSLR out with the scouts and not worry about rain, mud or crossing a river....
Any comments on this?

Thanks,

09-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sent my son snorkeling a couple of years ago with a point and shoot and a Dicapac underwater bag. The lens port did not line up well with the lens, and after a couple of uses, water did get in to the bag and the camera has not been the same since. I have to blame that on my impatient 17 year old to some extent, but the message is clear. The success of the bag depends on being very diligent in its use. I wouldn't trust a $1400 DSLR to one.
09-29-2010, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Around $200

Outex

Thank you
Russell
09-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Around $200

Outex

Thank you
Russell
That looks truly awesome. It's now added to my wish list!

09-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used it for snorkeling in Sharm el Shikh, Egypt and in my home country Albania (in rough seas).

I used it only with a p&s though (fuji f20). So far I'm very pleased with it as long as you accept the limitations:

LCD is really unusable so composing the shot is impossible. I just shoot in the general area, and take lots of pics.

It does get dark very fast underwater. Even a couple of meters under the surface everything losses contrast and becomes green. Coral reefs and coral fish near the surface look beautiful.
09-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Around $200

Outex

Thank you
Russell
Man that looks awesome, thanks also.
09-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link. looks very promising for underwater shots.
09-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I see an advantage in the Dicapac as I have several different bodies/lenses combos, both digital and film. Also, how does the Outex handles if the front element rotates when focusing?
My head is spinning on this

Thanks,