Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 01:21 AM   #1

Flash unit for K100D Super

Hi Pentax People,

Can anyone suggest a good flash unit for my K100D Super?

Tilting & swivelling head, along with fully automated camera control (P-TTL..?) are things I'm looking for, as are Slave triggering for future set-ups.

All I can find on the net are either really cheap units (around $100) that I suspect are not fully automated, or the Pentax AF360 ($300) & Sigma EF530 ($270).

Is the Sigma better than the Pentax unit?
Any suggestions as to which flash would be good for my camera and needs?

What exactly is 'P-TTL' and how does it relate to a flash unit?

Where else on this forum should I post this thread to maximise replies?

Thanks - Dave

09-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #2

Look for the Metz 48 AF-1 Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 flash review @ PHOTO-TIPS-ONLINE.com
Using it on my K100D and love it!
It's one of the best flash units for it's money.
10-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Basically...the flash fires a preflash to measure the distance of the subject and relay that info through the lens (TTL) to the camera taking lens info as well to produce a balanced natural (2nd main) flash. The problem is that the Pentax system has been reported by some to not be consistant when using Pentax p-TTL flash units...but others report this system to be fine. I have a Vivitar flash with this setup and I ended up using my manual flash options at a wedding....but that is the Viitar flash....other's have used Metz flashes with alleged better results. Sigma flashes also have had thier share of good and bad reviews...just get what you can afford and go from there....all automated flash units will work fine (IMHO) to some exent providing the flash unit is free from defects. You just gotta get one and use it and judge for yourself..... as far as posting on this forum....start with the equipment you have and ask questions about it. There are forums for all types of individual types of equipment. If you want a starting point....go with lenses first, then your DSLR body, then your flash. Check out all the forums and just ask questions and/or post your experience on things you find interesting.

QuoteOriginally posted by DafTekno Quote
Hi Pentax People,

Can anyone suggest a good flash unit for my K100D Super?

Tilting & swivelling head, along with fully automated camera control (P-TTL..?) are things I'm looking for, as are Slave triggering for future set-ups.

All I can find on the net are either really cheap units (around $100) that I suspect are not fully automated, or the Pentax AF360 ($300) & Sigma EF530 ($270).

Is the Sigma better than the Pentax unit?
Any suggestions as to which flash would be good for my camera and needs?

What exactly is 'P-TTL' and how does it relate to a flash unit?

Where else on this forum should I post this thread to maximise replies?

Thanks - Dave

Last edited by res3567; 10-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.