Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
You can sell your FF lenses to get some 645 lenses.
Which would be an exercise of novelty. Now, you'd need to mess with an adapter and carry larger lenses around and gain nothing that you wouldn't already get with a FF 135 lens.

09-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Which would be an exercise of novelty. Now, you'd need to mess with an adapter and carry larger lenses around and gain nothing that you wouldn't already get with a FF 135 lens.
It was a joke.
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

It was a joke.
Sorry, I guess I had a "whoosh" moment
09-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
But what doesn't make sense about the idea of a Pentax FF dSLR is the current lens line-up (Also the fact that none of the legacy lenses are corrected, or optimized for use with a digital sensor).

Looking at the current line-up should tell you that a FF Pentax isn't coming, and won't be coming.
I am under no illusions that a FF cam is not on the cards in the short/medium term from Pentax. Nevertheless, your rationale is not necessarily compatible with the argument. Imagine the phase Pentax was going through in developing their first dSLR. How were they going to compete with the big boys with their lens dSLR development when R&D takes that much longer for Pentax to get a decent line of lenses going for their new line of cameras. Sure, they had the FA ltds and some FAs still selling, and even an FA-J was offered with a new digital body. Sounded like a recipe for disaster. Things like this do take time, and for a smaller company that wants to get it right (which is not always the case, cf. DA* SDM) then that kind of development can't be rushed. See below the problems with the MZ-D:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/Pentax-DSLRs/index.htm

And lots of links on this thread discussion the tough journey Pentax have had in the last 10 years:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27019-pentax-lens-history.html

Tough decisions from the Hoya/Pentax hierarchy...

09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Take this for what its worth... it was local shop talk... they said that Canon has been experimenting with a 36x36 sensor. I don't know how that makes sense, but the guy said it had something to do with making the image circle more uniform.

That mean anything to anyone?
09-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
I guess if that idea was good one, someone else in Pentax, Canikon or other manufacturer would think the same
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Take this for what its worth... it was local shop talk... they said that Canon has been experimenting with a 36x36 sensor. I don't know how that makes sense, but the guy said it had something to do with making the image circle more uniform.

That mean anything to anyone?
Yes, that means even with regular FF lenses 24x36 format is still a silly barrier, which Kodak introduced some decades ago, what I mean is a regular FF lens is capable of taking 36x36mm images. Too bad Canon has no MF lens legacy.

But Pentax 645 lenses are capable of taking ..........mm images. Opps sorry, my question is not answered yet about 645 lens image circle.

Last edited by cbaytan; 09-30-2010 at 01:49 PM.
09-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes that means even with regular FF lenses 24x36 format is still a silly barrier, which Kodak introduced some decades ago, what I mean is a regular FF lens is capable of taking 36x36mm images.
Would this really work for all FF lenses though? Some have rectangular baffles.
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Would this really work for all FF lenses though? Some have rectangular baffles.
I don't know how much baffles are effective on image circle, if so not every lens work 36x36 obviously.

09-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Me either. Was just a thought.
09-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #25

But Pentax 645 lenses are capable of taking ..........mm images. Opps sorry, my question is not answered yet about 645 lens image circle.
At least 56 41.5mm...