Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 06:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
For a micro SLR, is it so bad?

There was a shootout on "Micro-SLRs" recently in a fortnightly paper "TechnoHolik". I was aghast by what they had to say about our beloved K-x in comparison to the 4/3rds System. Read on...
SUPERTEST
MICRO SLRS: THE NEX GENERATION

With the arrival of Sonys NEX-5,the mini DSLR comes of age and the fight is on...

Olympus PEN E-PL 1

A chance to live the Olympus PEN dream for less cash is the lure here.

But the original digital PEN was based on exceptional build quality and desirability,some of which has been lost in the cost-cutting process.However,theres much to like.Its a touch more taxing to use than older PENs (and most others here),although hitting the Start/OK button brings up a menu allowing for reasonably speedy adjustments.As with previous PENs,autofocus can be slow and theres no AF tracking mode,so the E-PL 1 isnt the ideal tool for snapping unpredictably moving subjects (think pets and kids).In-body image stabilisation is a real bonus though,meaning that any lens you use,whether an official MFT lens or a different kind attached via an adapter,gets the advantage of anti-shake tech.

Verdict

Not as covetable as previous PEN cameras but the smallest,most fun edition so far

Panasonic Lumix G2

Impressive for a camera that apes a DSLR so well,the G2 has managed to dodge the ugly stick.

Hit the iAuto button and the cameras big brain kicks into life,smartly adjusting settings based on what it thinks you want to do.The touchscreen adds an extra veneer of usability.You can move the focus point around with a finger,or simply tap the screen to focus at that spot and take a photo as soon as possible.Speaking of autofocus,its quick.Despite the kit lens feeling fairly cheap and light,the G2 delivers fantastic shots with it bolted on.Noise doesnt start to become distracting until ISO 1600,and straight-fromcamera JPEGs have a vibrant pop and bags of detail.

Verdict

Whether stepping up or downsizing,the G2 makes taking great photos a breeze

Pentax K-x

The K-x is a bit different to the others here: its a proper DSLR,albeit a compact one.

That means it has a mirror box and proper optical viewfinder for framing shots,although theres also live view and HD video capture,both available via the 2.7 inch screen.The live view mode is primitive next to its rivals,with live view autofocus being incredibly slow.Even autofocusing through the viewfinder feels very sluggish.Thats a shame,because the K-x serves up impressive pictures and decent video.The kit lens is a solid performer (when it focusses in time),noise is controlled well and a range of photo filters lets you turn out arty Lomo-style shots without fuss.On balance its well beaten here,but that optical viewfinder could still sway the decision.

Verdict

A decent all-rounder,but the K-x feels like a bit of a relic next to the other models here

Samsung NX10

This is all about shrinking the DSLR without compromising on control.

With its APS-C sensor,the NX10 offers true DSLR-level photos from a compact body.The sensor is larger than the MFT models,and this is reflected in better light-capturing abilities and a shorter depth-of-field.Autofocus is probably the NX10s biggest weakness.Its noticeably slower than the G2 and Sony NEX-5 to lock onto a subject,and really labours in dim conditions,even with the AF assist lamp.The K-x is slower in live view mode,but aside from that the NX10 is the tardiest focusser on test.Photo and video quality is impressive though,matching the G2 and NEX-5,suggesting there could be better things in store for Samsung

Verdict

A solid first effort from Sammy,but lethargic autofocus blots the NX10

Sony NEX-5

Easily the most stylish camera here,the NEX-5 is also the smallest.

Inside a body the size of a compact theres an APS-C sensor,the same type used in a full DSLR.As with the Samsung NX10,this lets you achieve a smaller depth of field than with the equivalent lens on a Micro Four Thirds camera,which is especially handy for sharp subjects and blurred backgrounds.Its a clever clogs too,with a number of special shooting tricks including 3D (yes,really),Sweep Panorama,a seven-shot-persecond Burst mode and more.Hi-def video comes in the form of retina-pleasingly sharp 1080i footage.

Verdict

The stripped-back ethos wont please all,but the NEX-5 s shooting skills and image quality will.

What do you think, Guys????(Does the)K-x feels a relic, that too, when compared to these????

09-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What the hell do those idiots mean by sluggish optical viewfinder? I guess the don't understand that the image on a LCD whether it be the back or EVG is history. Holy hell, the NEX has shooting skills.

Frankie
09-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amidtb994 Quote
Even autofocusing through the viewfinder feels very sluggish
That's ridiculous, it would beat any of the mirrorless competitor in this round up, especially when tracking. OVF is still king for that kind of task.
09-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
JHD
Veteran Member

Laughable! This is what happens when a moron finds a keyboard. Maybe freedom of speech wasn't such a great idea after all?

09-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Obviously this reviewer is pointing his article at those who are intrigued by the "gee whiz, this is small and looks like an i-phoney shaped camera" and takes into no account for image quality. I think the Oly Pen and the GF-1 are pretty cool, but side by side image comparisons versus the K-x dont even compare enough to be in the same class. After having spent an evenig with a GF1 (a friend's) and playing around with the Sony NEX recently, I think I shall and always will ....pass.

Jason
09-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-x is the thing for LOMO-users who want to go digital! That's a new group of users.
09-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Help, we're surrounded by Idiots

I don't get what these guys are playing at.

They are comparing a still camera which takes video to video cameras that take stills.

That is all any Electronic viewing camera is.

while the K-x may not be the best in this group at video, it is strictly because video is an add on not a principle design feature.
09-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This is a gadget review, not a photo review. Enough thought to write a paragraph or two per device. Results are just what would be expected.

Unfortunately, gadget reviews inform much of Pentax's target audience. That means Pentax needs to:

* Follow the lead and appeal to gadgeteers (funky colors, easy everything, integration with the social networking site of the year, add rich presence and geo-location, etc.) or

* Market hard to gadgeteers to tell the DSLR/Pentax story or

* Put little emphasis on that market and target budding photo enthusiasts - perhaps a much smaller target.

I don't envy the Pentax staff making those decisions.

09-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Inactive Account

disregard this trash.
09-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by amidtb994 Quote
Sony NEX-5
Isn't an SLR. So......

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

"This review has been sponsored by Sony."

I like the NEX-5 and other EVIL cameras, but hell, EVERYONE complains about how horrible the NEX-5 is to use, except for this reviewer. He could also have mentioned that Pentax as well has such a sensor.

I think I've tried the GF2 (not sure, they have so many models...) and it was FAST. I mean the AF. I'd say about as fast as my *istDs if not faster. The E-P1 however was slow. Really, really, REALLY slow. Like slow-motion slow. Couldn't try the NEX-5 though. Anyway, I can see the NEX-5 being fast (it's supposed to be so anyway), and the K-x is a AA camera, which killed the AF performance of my *istDs (with the power brick it's much faster). Thus yeah, the NEX-5 might be faster than the K-x.
10-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Tried the Nex5 & E-PL1 b4. I can see why most people would prefer these 2 over the K-x from consumer pov. The issue with this review is that it was judged against the latest breeds which are more attractive to the general public. The K-x is neither high performance nor trendy enough. In that sense, relic is not at all difficult to understand. B4 defending, perhaps trying to see what other manufacturers have done right. Pentax is shrinking not for no reason.
10-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know anything about the other cameras, but I do know I can use all my 30 year old K lenses on my K x, can they say the same?
10-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is a funny review. Maybe I am old fashioned, but to me, the point of a camera is to take still photos and whatever it does more is just gravy. With that in mind, the Kx and Nex cameras are a step above the others mentioned. That is Sony sensor is just excellent.

I wonder if the reviewer was making more of a reference to pentamirror versus pentaprism when he said the optical viewfinder was "sluggish." Dimmer might have been a better word, unless he finds himself running into walls because his two optical viewfinders are always sluggish.
10-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

We cannot really complain that this reviewer is misinformed, but should rather complain that Pentax does a bad job informing people in that market segment of the merits of the K-x. Like it or not, it does have to compete with these small go-anywhere do-anything cameras. And not just because kidz buy them... hardcore photogs who want a portable unobtrusive setup also buy them. Just look at the top-of-the-line journals and websites and you'll see the little EVIL cameras being discussed as useful tools.

IMO the K-x can compete with these other brands. But who would know it? If it's only the well-researched few then 95% of the market has been lost. Because most people buy a gadget on impulse and because it will impress their friends.