Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #1

K-7 Newbie and Shutter Speed-Need Help

I finally jumped in and bought a K-7 after a 5 year lack of taking pictures with an SLR. Trying to get used to all the technology trying to help me take pictures. It seems pretty logical except I can't figure out the Shutter speed functionality. I would like to use the Tv mode to give priority to shutter speed when shooting sports. I was under the impression from reading a few books that I could select my shutter speed and the camera would try to adjust other settings to still make a nice picture, or warn me when it can't. But then I can't seem to get the shutter speed to go below 1/1250 or so. If the camera is warning me that there is not enough light, I can't select a slower shutter. I can switch to manual and then select pretty much any speed I want but not in Tv. If I switch to auto, the shutter speed drops to much slower. I even turned off EV compensation. I have looked in the books, manual and searched online for tips on this particular topic, but I guess I'm the only one not getting it. Can anyone explain it to me? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

09-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

In manual mode you can set anything you want ― you have full control over camera.

In shutter priority mode camera does not allow you to set shutter speed faster than needed for appropriate exposure. I am sure that in your case at 1/2000 lens is at it's widest aperture and camera does not allow you to make shutter speed even faster because camera won't be able to open aperture more.
09-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Others will be more expert than I am, but I find the P mode most useful. I mostly vary the aperture, and my K-7 compensates with adjustments to shutter speed and sensitivity, but you should be able to do the same with the shutter speed I think.

Best of luck!
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In Tv mode you need either more light or set the camera to choose a higher ISO-range and then you can go faster then 1/1250th. In M-mode you can choose wath ever you like.

09-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Forum Member

Is your ISO set high (maybe 1600) or is it in auto? This would explain why in program mode your shutter speed drops.
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you are in Tv mode, the only parameter the camera changes is the aperture (which is also bounded by the max-min aperture of the lens) since the ISO is set at whatever you have. You can choose TAv mode it will allow ISO variable to float which is usually the setting you want for sports. That is, you determine the min-shutter, max-aperture, but don't care about ISO.
09-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
When you are in Tv mode, the only parameter the camera changes is the aperture (which is also bounded by the max-min aperture of the lens) since the ISO is set at whatever you have.
Don't forget, there's Auto ISO.
09-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Don't forget, there's Auto ISO.

Auto ISO is used only when you set the mode dial to TAv mode... just verified with K-7. All P, Av, Tv have ISO set at whatever it is and don't change unless of course you change it.

09-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Auto ISO is used only when you set the mode dial to TAv mode... just verified with K-7. All P, Av, Tv have ISO set at whatever it is and don't change unless of course you change it.
You're wrong. Auto ISO is available in all modes except Manual and Bulb. Press and hold ISO and then press green button on your K-7.
09-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Not only can I dial ANY shutter speed I want, I can do so in ALL modes that allow manual input of the shutter speed. That is regardless of Auto or Manual ISO and regardless of the ISO settings. Even with the Lens cap on (zero light). I do get exposure warnings but I Can still select the shutter speed. The OP stated that he CANNOT dial below 1/1250 in Tv mode. Did any of you even READ his post?

OP: Are you sure you don't have the mode dial stuck between two modes? That has happened to me in the past once or twice.

09-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #11

Original Poster
JeffJS is correct. I can not dial anything slower than 1/1250 in Tv mode. I can go faster all the way to 1/8000 even when it is flashing the low light warning. In another test I went to full manual and selected something slower like 1/60 and then switch to Tv mode. As soon as I move the dial to select another shutter speed, it jumps up to something faster and then I can't get back down again. I can also let the camera select other shutter speeds no problem. I have moved the mode dial many times and verified that the display shows shutter priority mode. I'm stumped.
Jeff
09-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter

My K7 does what it is supposed to in Tv, did you try resetting everything to factory pre-sets?.
09-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
You're wrong. Auto ISO is available in all modes except Manual and Bulb. Press and hold ISO and then press green button on your K-7.
You are right... I forgot that you can reset back to Auto ISO with ISO+green button.

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Not only can I dial ANY shutter speed I want, I can do so in ALL modes that allow manual input of the shutter speed. That is regardless of Auto or Manual ISO and regardless of the ISO settings. Even with the Lens cap on (zero light). I do get exposure warnings but I Can still select the shutter speed. The OP stated that he CANNOT dial below 1/1250 in Tv mode. Did any of you even READ his post?

OP: Are you sure you don't have the mode dial stuck between two modes? That has happened to me in the past once or twice.

JeffJS, you are correct, I misread OP's question; my bad.

Last edited by aleonx3; 09-30-2010 at 04:49 PM.
09-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Veteran Member

A few questions
a) How bright was the scene ?
b) Were you on Auto ISO ? I no, what was the ISO setting. If yes, what is the Auto ISO range setting ?
c) If on Auto ISO what was the Speed "flavour" you set - Slow, Normal , Fast ?

On Tv you usually have a very wide latituted on the Shutter speed you can set, on condition the other parameters such as ISO and aperture are within specification range to give you a correct exposure.

If the scene is in bright sunlight, for example, and I accidentally left the ISO at say, ISO 3200, its quite possible the minimum possible shutter speed is still quite high.