Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
Yes, a number of people have said that and in the current climate it is a possability, but the 645D must have taken a lot of cash and R&D effort to put together and it seems to be selling like hot cakes. A lot of the components for that were from the K7 I understand. Maybe research for the 645D can be filtered down to a FF camera.

Maybe Pentax has recouped all the R&D costs in Japan and anything else is pure profit but I would be very supprised if the market for a MF camera is bigger than one for a FF in Europe and the US but I have been wrong before. Remember that Pentax originaly said it wouldn't sell the 645 in the US as it couldn't see the sales.

I would think it more likely that someone would up-grade to a FF body at £2000 that can take your existing glass, than to go to an MF body at £10000 that you would have to buy all new glas as well.

Bill
Medium format cameras have more profit per camera. Pentax makes more money off of the 645D than they probably do off of the K7. Particularly since most of the R and D for the 645D was done for the K7 and just transferred over. By spreading R and D costs over a couple of models, it makes it a lot easier to recoup costs. People don't expect updates of medium format cameras at the same frequency that they do for lower end cameras and so, I think Pentax will do very well with that, even with world wide sales of only 6 or 7000 a year.

10-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Medium format cameras have more profit per camera. Pentax makes more money off of the 645D than they probably do off of the K7. Particularly since most of the R and D for the 645D was done for the K7 and just transferred over. By spreading R and D costs over a couple of models, it makes it a lot easier to recoup costs. People don't expect updates of medium format cameras at the same frequency that they do for lower end cameras and so, I think Pentax will do very well with that, even with world wide sales of only 6 or 7000 a year.
Very true, I hadn't considered the update cycle.

Do you think Pentax will do a 6x7D? That sold very well alongside the 645.

Bill
10-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
So there is this guy on dpreview by the name of Ursinho who wrote an interesting report about his subjective observations of 2010 Photokina vice the 2008 which he also attended
philbaum, replying to your post directly w/o reading the thread first. So, this is my reaction to your post only.

I think Ursinho's observation was rather correct. FF wasn't the topic of 'Kina this year. E.g., Sony explained to the press that an A700 successor is in the works and nothing about an A900 successor is known yet.

But one must be careful about temporal snapshots. 2008 was a bold year, when US houses did still sell and 3 new enthusiast cameras with FF were launched (A900, 5Dmk2, D700). 2009: Big crisis, e.g., Pentax had one very bad quarter before the K-7 came out.

It's SLDs (µFT, NX and first of all, NEX & SLT) which is this year's topic, alongside artificially hyped 3D and social network connectivity. No new FFs announced for a reason (who makes a new sensor first?). But, FF may live on a longer cycle too and most likely, will have come back by 2011 or 2012.

The only question will be about the future of SLRs as a species, whatever be their size. FT SLRs are dead already and I'm sure, the FF flavour will survive longer than the APSC flavour. Also, I asked Sony why their NEX mount (E mount) seems to be large enough to accomodate an FF sensor. Answer: we didn't announce anything yet

The future of the $1500-$2000 segment will be an interesting watch. It will need innovation -- and probably larger sensors too, in order to survive. But not this year. This year, this segment remains unpopulated.

Last edited by falconeye; 10-01-2010 at 05:26 PM.