Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade to K20D?

I've had a K-x since march, and really do love it, especially it's capabilities at high ISO. One thing I started noticing after toying with a D90 however (minus its awful button placement, IMO) is how handy those external buttons really are. I've become consistently bugged by having to scroll through the menu because of the lack of physical controls, and I also miss the top LCD screen. Do you think it's viable to pick up something like a used K20D, or should I just suck it up and focus my money on a new lens like the DA L 35? Thanks!

09-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As others have stated in these forums, cameras get cheaper as time goes by, but lenses tend to increase in price.

Example: I bought both my K200D and K20D used off of these forums - K200D for $600, the K20D a year later, for only $500.

Check the lense database and you'll see that most lenses show a marked increase in price since they first were released.

K-x from what I hear is a very nice camera and I almost wish I picked one up instead of the K20D. Almost!
09-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #3

k20d is the upgrade i did from the k-x... couldn't be happier (in fact i sold my k-x for more than the k20d and grip ran me used!)

i miss the high iso's (above 400) and the movie mode for my newborn baby's antics, other than that, it is the best (images kick kx's but at low iso imoho)
09-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Well, the very thing that keeps Me From buying the 'entry level' cameras is the lack of control options. The two e-dials and the top screen the largest of those factors. That, and the plasticy feel of the camera bodies. I'm sure the Kx is a fine camera and most who have them, love them but, for me, they just aren't Enough camera. That's the best way I can put it. As to replacing the Kx with a K20d? You call. If you're really growing to hate the Kx, go for it. In a few months however, you can probably grab a used K7 for around the same price that the K20d is right now. Lens? DA-L 35? I'd wait and see before making that decision. The jury hasn't even entered the courtroom on that one yet.

09-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
In a few months however, you can probably grab a used K7 for around the same price that the K20d is right now. Lens? DA-L 35? I'd wait and see before making that decision. The jury hasn't even entered the courtroom on that one yet.
Great advice, thank you! I'd have to wait a few months anyway, and I'd only get the DA L 35 assuming it got positive reviews.
09-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Depends on where you live ISO wise, 800 or above the Kx is superior. Less than 400 and not much comes close to the K20D / K-7. Hold off a month and the K20D will start flooding the market place for reasonable money.
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tomzee93 Quote
I've had a K-x since march, and really do love it, especially it's capabilities at high ISO. One thing I started noticing after toying with a D90 however (minus its awful button placement, IMO) is how handy those external buttons really are. I've become consistently bugged by having to scroll through the menu because of the lack of physical controls, and I also miss the top LCD screen. Do you think it's viable to pick up something like a used K20D, or should I just suck it up and focus my money on a new lens like the DA L 35? Thanks!
I have seen hundreds of threads started with a "should I buy this" question. But almost none of them state the user's requirements. For 30 years my career was matching functional requirements with technology solutions so I actually feel pretty qualified to address this problem.

People need to understand that asking which tool to use without a mention of what it's for is just creates a random thread of opinions, not answers, and puts them no closer to an actual solution. I would happy to help answer a dozen of these posts every day but its so pointless without requirements...other than the fun of being a Pentax fanboy.

This was not directed at you, Tomzee93, specifically but just as an example. If you could add what you need in addition to your kx then the responses may be on target. Obviously the wish for just more buttons and top screen needs no discussion.