Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #76
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Big G Quote
ARRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Yes it's a newly developed sensor!!!!! It's the same god damn new sensor that it's in the god damn EOS 7D!!! Canon didn't make one 18 MP sensor for the 7D then fabricate a completely new one for the 550D, did they!?

Man, I don't mean to be insulting, but you're really not that clever are you? I've really seen it all now, I'm absolutely done with this thread.

Haha, yay I win!

10-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Haha, yay I win!
Ummm, no. I don't think so. I think you've created the kind of post that diminishes this forum. That's losing.

Unless, of course, this was obviously just good-natured ribbing and I'm the only one to whom it's not obvious. Was there supposed to be a smiley there somewhere??
10-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #78
Inactive Account

Brand-war has no point at all...MAN MAKES THE MACHINE and NOT MACHINE MAKES THE MAN.

Personally I think everyone intersted in photography has the desire to try out different gear-the only limit we face is financial.

Andras
10-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #79
Inactive Account

going the other way

I am moving from canon to pentax and will buy the k7 and the 40mm ltd as a walk around lens, only got money for one decent lens, is this a good move? or do you more experience pentax users recomend another combo? havnt used a pentax since my k1000 and film of course.
zebrasas

10-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Haha, yay I win!
Win at an attempt to fill this thread full of BS? Yes, yes you win that prize.

Grats.
10-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
hey guys...come on...this is all for fun fer goodness sakes!! We all need to be brand agnostic. I know I flat don't care about the name on the front, well as long as it does not say Nikon...snickersnicker...

Really, every single body from the $500 up to the $40,000 bodies can take exceptional shots if we take the time to learn the characteristics and personality of that body and whatever lense combo we have...

There is that a good enough "Pollyanna" post for everyone? Well, it's as good as I am going to be but I will never admit to the post...someone must have hacked my account!!
10-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zebrasas Quote
I am moving from canon to pentax and will buy the k7 and the 40mm ltd as a walk around lens, only got money for one decent lens, is this a good move? or do you more experience pentax users recomend another combo? havnt used a pentax since my k1000 and film of course.
zebrasas
You might want to post this in the newbie forum here...prolly get some better responses. But, sure why not, nice lense and super body. Though right now I feel the K-7 is vastly over priced, at least here in the US. It's near to $900 on Amazon so I would look used as I have seen plenty of K7's with a battery grip for around the $900-$950 range and that is a fair price. No reason not to look for a used deal on the DA 40ltd either...

BTW, I cam back to Pentax from Canon about 18-months ago now...but I had to go with the K20D as the K-7 was just new and out of the budget...you will find some issues like AF-C being of marginal use on the K-7, it's better than my K20D but still not great. Live View is decent though. Depending on the body you are coming from, there will be other things you might miss but don't forget to look for the things that were not there with your Canon gear. Oh, and remember the DA 40ltd is NOT weather sealed (called WR in Pentax terms) that could be a spendy oversight!! Also you won't have tethering on the K-7...probably never. If you used it, well, it's not gonna be there for you but you can sort of work around it using the HDMI output and Live View on the body...

OK, hope that helps...you should not be unhappy with the K-7, it's a very nice chunk of gear! Plus now should be a good time to start looking for a used body, many will be looking to move up to the K-5 later this month so patience and watch prices...and if you buy used get a good extended warranty just in case.
10-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At Pentax the grass is actually green...get it green

I'm a 7D user, it's dam expensive to get all the lenses i want, there'll be no LBA with Canon

10-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went to a 7D back in may. The Glass May be more expensive, but USM motors don't fail like SDM motors seem to! and the AF function of the bodies can keep up to the USM motors! So you get more keepers of moving subjects, and with 8fps, you can also help ensure you get the keeper!

Ya better cameras don't make better photographers, but they can certainly help capture the moment.
10-06-2010, 05:47 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Unlike some modern shooters, i can and do understand how to manually focus a lens and fairly quick i might add and quick shift focus is wonderful
10-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by zebrasas Quote
zebrasas
I did the same thing, sold my 30d for a k-7. Big mistake, Pentax's lens choices are very lacking.
10-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #87
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it seems that continued wrangling on this issue has just about run it's course.
Could any adverse remarks etc be totally avoided and the discussion be continued in the vein that each is entitled to his/her opinions and preferences.

Any further comments of an unacceptable nature and the thread will be closed.

Thanks all for your cooperation.

On behalf of Mod Team.
10-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Really, every single body from the $500 up to the $40,000 bodies can take exceptional shots if we take the time to learn the characteristics and personality of that body and whatever lense combo we have...
I don't think the majority of people understand this. $500 to $40,000 hmm.. brought this link to mind..

Kidding

I think people should be more concerned about how a camera feels in the hand more than most things. After lugging around a 50D and 30mm prime for a few months I picked up my old K200D last night and it felt as heavy & quite unbalanced with a Tammy 17-50mm. The 50D just seems to fit my hand better, as did the 7D which was unfortunately a little out of my price range. I'd love to have the K7s quiet shutter though.
10-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I don't think the majority of people understand this. $500 to $40,000 hmm.. brought this link to mind..

Kidding

I think people should be more concerned about how a camera feels in the hand more than most things. After lugging around a 50D and 30mm prime for a few months I picked up my old K200D last night and it felt as heavy & quite unbalanced with a Tammy 17-50mm. The 50D just seems to fit my hand better, as did the 7D which was unfortunately a little out of my price range. I'd love to have the K7s quiet shutter though.
How do you like the tammy 17-50mm? I've considered it or a DA35mm for my K200D and KX. I use the DA*50-135mm so balance isn't a major concern.

BTW, love this set. Very retro...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cb750r/sets/72157624490788616/
10-07-2010, 05:29 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
How do you like the tammy 17-50mm? I've considered it or a DA35mm for my K200D and KX. I use the DA*50-135mm so balance isn't a major concern.

BTW, love this set. Very retro...
Pin Up - a set on Flickr
The Tammy 17-50 is a good lens, although pretty poorly built. It really depends on what range you like and if you prefer primes. The DA35 is one lens I really wish I could have owned. The Sigma 30mm is keeping me happy though.

Agreed, that's a cool series Grant.