Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #91
Pentaxian

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the info. I like what I've seen with the Sigma 30mm as well.

John

10-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #92
Inactive Account

good luck!
10-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #93
Inactive Account

thanks breklundin, yeah a new k7 still expensive here in uk but seeing prices come down and few used ones coming up. I come from a 350d which i had when it first come out and its been great never let me down, but screen to small for me now and the one thing i hate the most is having to press button and then use the front wheel to change aperture, always pressing wrong button, i always shoot manual. like you say the pentax will be different but i like the idea of being able to use the older manual lenses, not a problem for me and better built ,my other option was the 50d. I fancy a change i only have 1 canon lens so its not a big kit change as i can sell 350d with it.
10-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zebrasas Quote
thanks breklundin, yeah a new k7 still expensive here in uk but seeing prices come down and few used ones coming up. I come from a 350d which i had when it first come out and its been great never let me down, but screen to small for me now and the one thing i hate the most is having to press button and then use the front wheel to change aperture, always pressing wrong button, i always shoot manual. like you say the pentax will be different but i like the idea of being able to use the older manual lenses, not a problem for me and better built ,my other option was the 50d. I fancy a change i only have 1 canon lens so its not a big kit change as i can sell 350d with it.
You're welcome...hope something I wrote was if use. I know what you mean about the smaller screen only in reverse. My 40D had a nice 3" LCD but the K20D is, as I recall, 2.7" which does not sound like a big difference but it really is, I think part of it is the screen's resolution is lower as well. But you will LOVE the K7's nice rear LCD.

And actually the 50D is not an awful option either. But here it's not dropping in price either, probably since the 60D is more like your 350D in that it is a total departure from the xxD series of Canon bodies. The last of that series that is in the "pro-sumer" kinda category is the 50D after that you only have the 7D....which right now is on my list when comes time to decide if I am staying or going away from Pentax if they fail to add tethering to the K-5 (we keep getting contradictory info there). Also, if you are considering staying with Canon do not discount the original 5D as well. It's a wonderful body but one of the weak points is it is NOT a sports camera at all. But it's FF so that is a nice thing for some and it can still be found in the sub-$900 range easily enough. Though you won't be able to use and EF-S lenses only EF mount lenses...and likely your current lense is an EF-S sooooo, ya end up with a new lense if you opt for a used 5D. To be honest if were it not for th 7D being such a super option right now, the original 5D would easily in the top three on my list of options...still for me the new K5 has 99% of what I would want in a body...but that missing 1% is tethering and I use it all the time so you could say that 1% represents 50% of my motivation to buy or not buy the new body.

Oh, if you do go K-7....you might wait if you can as the new DA 35mm/2.4 lense looks pretty nice...and it will be less expensive than the DA 40ltd. But the build is also all plastic, including the mount, if I remember reading things right. So the trade off will be what appears to be excellent IQ but a, to be honest here, cheap build materials vs. the wonderful build quality of the DA limited lenses. Also the new DA 35/2.4 is going to have an MSRP of about $370 so street price will be lower for sure. But double check the pricing as I could be misremembering...never assume anything I or anyone else suggests is 100% right, as they say "....always check/verify your references..." since something can change overnight or be flat out wrong.

And YES, shooting the old manual glass like the M42 mount stuff or newer has a certain charm to it. And the images are very interesting. But don't count on the lenses being inexpensive as even this time last year. For some lenses the price has at least doubled for some reason. I suspect the price of new glass being insane these days combined with the lack of modern analogs of those old chunks of glass. Try finding a nice 50/1.2 or 55/1.2 at a price mere mortals can afford...good luck and less than a year ago they were in the $200 range all the time. Today $500-$900 depending on how deep the pockets of the buyer are at the time.

It's a tough decision when switching, and I don't completely regret moving back to Pentax but, there are things I miss quite a bit which I had expected to recover when the K7 price dropped but turned out they left my much needed tethering out of the K7 as well so it became a non-starter for me because for my needs it was an even further step backward.

Best of luck and you will get wonderful advice from some of the people here, especially in the newbie part of the forum. Outside of there, well, there are some...ummmm...peckerheads but we can all be like that some days, right? hehehehehe...

10-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Just was watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain's: No Reservations, Season 6 Episode 22, this episode seems to be more about the making of an episode on site...the tech folks lots of photo talk too....but they are shooting most of their episodes with 7D's now...seriously it's what they are using, even over the 5D mkII used for that episode of House last year...that's pretty cool...

It's s funny episode because there is a bunch of discussion about the lenses being used...also they are using what looks to be another dedicated video cam but am not sure...either way this tells me a lot about the 7D next time anyone questions the build of the 7D...these episodes are filmed all over the planet in some of the worst environments around...

My decision seems to be much closer to made than it was 10-minutes ago.
10-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
[deleted]
they are shooting most of their episodes with 7D's now...seriously it's what they are using, even over the 5D mkII used for that episode of House last year...that's pretty cool...

[deleted]
Today I was using a 24mm tilt-shift lens with both the 7D and the 5DMKII. While the FF camera was functionally superior for the obvious reasons, the 7D was a lot easier to use. Though the viewfinder of the 7D is smaller, it is brighter and the screen is sharper.

LiveView has become a critical boost for shift tilt use and accuracy. The 7D LiveView is brighter and the feedback appears more useful--thus I have more confidence that the shots are going to work.

The differences were not overpowering enough for me to forego using the 5DMKII, but the ergonomic improvements make a compelling case for having both bodies. I would assume that the 5DMKIII will incorporate the 7D's improvements and go beyond. That's going to a seriously compelling tool.

M
10-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #97
Veteran Member

oh, ok...
10-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Hi guys,

Thought that you might like to see some high ISO photos using default settings with no additional noise reduction. The KX does a wonderful job as a concert camera.

No Means No - a set on Flickr

10-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Hi guys,

Thought that you might like to see some high ISO photos using default settings with no additional noise reduction. The KX does a wonderful job as a concert camera.

No Means No - a set on Flickr
The KX is a great camera for the money no doubt.

I have been getting more and more time on the 7d (K7 is at home with lenses waiting for K5 body swap) and using it in the same settings in Afghanistan.

A few more notes:

ISO is amazing up to 6400 and totally usable. No chroma noise until 12800 (expanded) I don't own a KX but the 7D looks about the same in all the pictures just with larger sizes. I use mine without noise reduction thanks to all the superior noise reduction skills I gained using K7.

Controls still are not up to K7 standards. I like Pentax controls better they are direct off the camera and in a logical speedy manor. This is something I think one needs to experience to appreciate. The only gripe with my K7 was in P sometimes you roll a dial and miss it for a few shots until you correct the setting with the green button. P is far more flexible on K7 imo.

Build. The 7d is precise but feels "lighter weight" or fragile compared to K7 that pentax is a tank.

Lenses. The 17-55 is very good and sharp. The 18-270 Tamron is surprisingly clear for the compromise super zoom that it is

Soft pictures. The 7d pumps out soft images at the "standard" picture setting with jpegs ooc. I was really worried about this until I adjusted sharpness in camera and WOW it is night and day. Now images are razor sharp and the image quality clearly surpasses my K7 under the same scenes and settings no contest. OOC images are soft at factory settings which was reflected in a lot of reviews. This thing pulls detail like crazy in pp and you wonder why it's soft ooc in the first place?

Speed. 8 FPS is damn fast. the K7 isn't really slow but the buffer fills way to fast. The 7d fires off about 100 before slowdown which is significantly more than K7 and this could be a sore spot on K5 (I shoot JPEG mostly)

JPEG's are smaller and more variable.

Weather resistance. I have two non resistant lenses that I'm rolling the dice with, no worries for rain as I can use a jacket to shield but dust will probably get then which is an excepted risk. L glass in the future if the regular lenses don't stack up. (Im in Afghanistan) Its turning to winter so the dust isn't as bad though I should note. In the end K7 WR keeps you confident and your camera out of the bag more often. I did get dust in my 60-250 DA* but my 16-50 seemed to hold up. So far the canon lenses are fine but i'm being very alert to when I zoom. The 7d body im not worried about its built very tight and though the seals are less and foam not rubber they way it's designed is more with channel sealing like a pelican case than rubber seals that the pentax uses.

Grip. I don't care either way for size. People make a big deal about it and I suppose it's true with a K7 and a limited prime being compact but I used a 16-50 DA* on it most of the time and compact it was not. Actually the lens was funny large until I added the Grip frame. I loved the grip frame size and the ability to not worry about battery's for days. The 7d is just bigger but not unpleasant by any means im sure its a monster though with grip frame.

AF assist. The K7 has issues with large lenses cutting off the green assist beam which was annoying. The 7d uses a couple light flashed for AF assist and this works great other than I don't like using flash because it's obnoxious at times and the green light seemed more low key. Both work great in low light. The 1.10 firmware helped the k7. Both lock on fine but the 7d locks much much faster.

Green mode. The 7d won't let me disable flash, this is freaking annoying and I resort to CA (creative auto) of P so Green mode I just don't use. CA seems "newbie" for a camera that is supposedly "pro". It seems like they didn't want the "scene" modes associated with lower end and instead tacked on this weird "green" mode with sliders for depth of field etc. I basically don't use green (because of flash) I used green on k7 at times when I felt like shutting my brain off and just taking pictures and I hate flash. K7 has great controls, appreciate that.

I'm really looking forward to K5 and hope it bests the 7d although I doubt it's going to take the crown for AF or movie mode.

* the shutter on the K7 sounds refined and pleasant compared to the clanker that is in the 7d.

*I should add that exposure is a little different. 7d Overexposes where K7 underexposed. This is a benefit for the ISO because you can EV -1 to kill noise at say iso 12800. I am finding that I use -.7 or so on bright days to compensate.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-11-2010 at 09:16 PM.
10-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #100
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeRunge Quote

Soft pictures. The 7d pumps out soft images at the "standard" picture setting with jpegs ooc. I was really worried about this until I adjusted sharpness in camera and WOW it is night and day. Now images are razor sharp and the image quality clearly surpasses my K7 under the same scenes and settings no contest.
What settings are you using for sharpness and the others?

After about 2 weeks with my 7D I agree with your comments for the most part. Just some personal preference difference like the controls. I never used a K7 for a long time but I find the 7D controls far more intuitive where you have direct control over everything. I was used to the K200 where I had to go to a menu to adjust nearly everything. Also I love the shutter noise. It is so fast and precise compared to the K200 which was noisy and slow.
10-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #101
Veteran Member

I set up my user picture setting with +7 for sharpness (max) and am trying that out because I was always adjusting the sharpness slider in lightroom to @ 35-45. It makes a big difference in removing the "soft" look. I don't really mess with color as I prefer that in lightroom for the most part. Take some test shots with it in standard then in a user setting with it maxed it's a big difference. "soft" is probably good for portraits but I shoot a lot of landscapes and moving military gear so I prefer to see the rocks in the mountains or the markings on a plane.

I agree the controls are personal preference. I love the K7/5 control scheme.

Below are crops with -1 exposure compensation applied and more black applied. First is without sharpening second is with. Original added as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by LeeRunge; 10-12-2010 at 06:53 AM.
10-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #102
Raylon

I just took a picture of my TV on faithful, and the pixels were somewhat visible on the screen but not at all sharp. Then I did 7 sharpness and wow, I am blown away. I can clearly see the pixels. I can't wait to play around with that more later today...
10-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I just took a picture of my TV on faithful, and the pixels were somewhat visible on the screen but not at all sharp. Then I did 7 sharpness and wow, I am blown away. I can clearly see the pixels. I can't wait to play around with that more later today...
That was my reaction...it's like the resolution comes alive. I think the 7d overexposes some to compared to Pentax (or im used to Pentax underexposing).
10-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #104
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
What settings are you using for sharpness and the others?

After about 2 weeks with my 7D I agree with your comments for the most part. Just some personal preference difference like the controls. I never used a K7 for a long time but I find the 7D controls far more intuitive where you have direct control over everything. I was used to the K200 where I had to go to a menu to adjust nearly everything. Also I love the shutter noise. It is so fast and precise compared to the K200 which was noisy and slow.
I agree, after getting used to the 7D the "Quick Menu" is a really fast and convenient way to adjust a lot of settings.
10-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #105
Raylon

That original looks way overexposed. Mine does perfect at 0, no EC needed.