Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
I agree, after getting used to the 7D the "Quick Menu" is a really fast and convenient way to adjust a lot of settings.
To me, the K-7's Control Panel screen is just as good or better....since we're on the subject

Last edited by kittykat46; 10-12-2010 at 06:55 PM.
10-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Another point about the 7D, which may or may not be relevant to your shooting style.

On P Mode, AutoISO is basically broken on the 7D.
I just switch to a specific manual ISO setting, otherwise on AutoISO it goes really weird with the ISO and shutter speed the Program logic (whatever it is) sets.

E.g I got stuck once with P-mode selecting ISO 3200 and with very fast shutter speed when I set the lens at f/2.8........
10-13-2010, 03:05 AM   #108
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Another point about the 7D, which may or may not be relevant to your shooting style.

On P Mode, AutoISO is basically broken on the 7D.
I just switch to a specific manual ISO setting, otherwise on AutoISO it goes really weird with the ISO and shutter speed the Program logic (whatever it is) sets.

E.g I got stuck once with P-mode selecting ISO 3200 and with very fast shutter speed when I set the lens at f/2.8........
Basically broken? I'm having trouble believing this. You failed to mention the lighting in the environment..
10-13-2010, 03:32 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Basically broken? I'm having trouble believing this. You failed to mention the lighting in the environment..
Yup, I had trouble believing , too, that it could go so way out with a generally smooth package like the 7D.

Don't get me wrong, as I've stated in a previous post on this thread the 7D is a very good camera, but it has its wrinkles just like any other dSLR.

The lighting was bright indoors.
In the same situation, the K-7 on HyperP AutoISO metered at ISO 800, 1/50 sec on a DA40 at f/2.8
The 7D on Program metered at ISO 3200, 1/180 sec with a 17-55mm at f/2.8 @ 40mm

I wanted to shoot at handheld shutter speed at the lowest possible ISO, consistent with the aperture I set (for a portrait with blurred background)
The K-7 got it right, the 7D simply didn't cooperate now matter how I rotated the Program thumb wheel.
Only later I realised its been extensively discussed in Canon forums (which I seldom visit) e.g.
http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00XJTX
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&message=35108821&changemode=1

Also, its a personal thing I guess, I can't rotate the 7D's rear rotary thumb wheel without taking my eyes off the viewfinder, which interrupts my photography.
With K-7, almost everything I can adjust and still keep my eyes glued to the viewfinder.
Big difference.

For those who don't have the 7D, it looks like this :

Last edited by kittykat46; 10-13-2010 at 03:59 AM.
10-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #110
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Y

Also, its a personal thing I guess, I can't rotate the 7D's rear rotary thumb wheel without taking my eyes off the viewfinder, which interrupts my photography.
With K-7, almost everything I can adjust and still keep my eyes glued to the viewfinder.
Big difference.
I can't understand why...you can't just reach your thumb down and move it? Easy enough for me to do.
10-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd share here...

Just switched from a K20D to Canon 5D Mark II. I did it for the full frame (low light) and video capabilities. Just wanted to share my thoughts. Going to miss Pentax, and hope to get back to them one.

First off, the 5DM2 is an amazing camera. I've barely had it for a week and I'm still very much getting used to it.

One obvious difference is size. FF vs. APS-C, makes sense. It's also a larger mount so the lenses are bigger. But they are MUCH bigger. Makes me realize that the FA LTDs or all the LTDs for that matter are like a work of art. I have the 35L and 135L and they are mammoth compared to the 77LTD.

Canon lens also cost much more. 85L vs 77LTD is $1000 difference.

Build quality on the K20 also seems to be better.

The lack of a back thumb dial on the 5DM2 is going to take some getting used to. The K20 felt perfect in my hands. I think the K-7/K-5 is even smaller?

There are several small things like the button to switch lens, can't totally customize the quick control dial, I like the jpg colors better. Oh yea, and in body SR I took for granted.

I guess in reading the forums over the years and writing this, no camera is perfect, but all cameras can take fantastic photos. I had the K10, K20, bought my sister a K2000, shot with an ME Super. Buy what you need, want, and can afford.

Even though I'm Canon for now, I'll still be reading these forums, hoping the K-5 is a beast, and pulling for Pentax
10-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #112
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I thought this forum was for helping people, I really don't see the point of this post. Unless the OP works for Canon.
How about moving it to the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. section.
10-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I thought this forum was for helping people, I really don't see the point of this post. Unless the OP works for Canon.
+1 I agree

10-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
+1 I agree
Hihi...Yes...the Canon Forum is That Way =>
10-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paolojackson Quote
Didn't want to start a new thread so I figured I'd share here...

Just switched from a K20D to Canon 5D Mark II. I did it for the full frame (low light) and video capabilities. Just wanted to share my thoughts. Going to miss Pentax, and hope to get back to them one.

First off, the 5DM2 is an amazing camera. I've barely had it for a week and I'm still very much getting used to it.

One obvious difference is size. FF vs. APS-C, makes sense. It's also a larger mount so the lenses are bigger. But they are MUCH bigger. Makes me realize that the FA LTDs or all the LTDs for that matter are like a work of art. I have the 35L and 135L and they are mammoth compared to the 77LTD.

Build quality on the K20 also seems to be better.

The lack of a back thumb dial on the 5DM2 is going to take some getting used to. The K20 felt perfect in my hands. I think the K-7/K-5 is even smaller?

There are several small things like the button to switch lens, can't totally customize the quick control dial, I like the jpg colors better. Oh yea, and in body SR I took for granted.

I guess in reading the forums over the years and writing this, no camera is perfect, but all cameras can take fantastic photos. I had the K10, K20, bought my sister a K2000, shot with an ME Super. Buy what you need, want, and can afford.

Even though I'm Canon for now, I'll still be reading these forums, hoping the K-5 is a beast, and pulling for Pentax
neat observations as I went the other way going from a 40D to a K20D and have never fully warmed to the button layout, top LCD panel operation and several other ergonomics issues. But given the state of my hands today I am unsure i can manage a heavier camera anymore. Still if the chance presents itself I AM going to have a fling with the 7D. And I have no problem taking full advantage of the Amazon 30-day return thing since there is no retail HoyaTax seller within a couple hundred miles of me.

Oh also, you mention the 85/1.2L II is ~$1000 (only the mk II version of the lense is $1000 more than the 77ltd) more than the 77ltd...yeah, but lets' be sure and point out that the 85L II is weather sealed AND a f1.2 lense...and extremely sharp when needed (say at f4 to around f9/f11, seems best at f5.6 as a rule which tells me F4 might be an ideal stop setting for nice portraits). Those things cost money. I like the images from both when in the right hands but would probably choose the 77ltd because I haven't much cared for wide open shots with the 85/1.2L II compared to the 77ltd even when the 85L/1.2 II was set to the same stop as the 77ltd. Of course I am not in anyway saying I would turn my nose up at a free 85L/1.2L II lense...hehehehe...Over on POTN they have a whole forum section dedicated to each and every lense that will mount on a Canon EF/EF-S body, including 3rd party glass which helps a ton when trying to wade through the volume of options. I have formed some interesting opinions of understanding of how to take good pictures between there and here using the best of each brand, and even more so, the lenses with less snob appeal. Often those with the "lesser" glass get far better results, maybe because they don't feel the solution to all things is throwing more money at the issue.

But they can have my 77ltd when it's pried from my dead cold fingers...which, ironically could happen any time between tonight and 5yrs from now if i am lucky. so get your bids in early.
10-14-2010, 02:30 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
It's not totally irrelevant. This is a Pentax forum but people are naturally curious how there gear stacks up vs the other options and like to feel reassured as to what choices they made. Knowing the difference between the two is valuable to some. I added what I have felt are some differences between the two brands I own in case others are curious.

No doubt this thread will be called K5 vs 7d shortly as people compare the two cameras. I doubt comments will be "move it to the canon section" if the K5 is outperforming the 7d.
10-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #117
Veteran Member

(...)
(...)
I used to think so as well, but it no longer seems to be the case. The 77mm is really more comparable to the 85mm f1.8, which is only around $350. The 35L that you own is comparable in price to the 31mm, and it's f1.4, weather-sealed and with USM focusing.
Pentax doesn't even have an alternative to the 135L.

Additionally, Canon has the very nice 70-200 f4 options (the 60-250mm is great, but pricey and with slow SDM AF), and the affordable 100-400mm and 400mm lenses which Pentax lacks.
10-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Nice to hear from others =)

Perhaps 77 LTD vs 85 L was an unfair comparison (maybe FA* 85 would have been better)...but to keep this from turning into a lens debate, I just want to re-emphasize that I believe no camera design is perfect and each have their strengths.

For myself, I like the layout and overall ergonomics of the K20 but it would be nicer to have a couple more under the thumb buttons. The control wheel on the Canon is great, but I'm still wish there was a back dial (and buttons).

We'll let the mods determine if this belongs in Pentax DSLR Discussion forum, but I think it gives people more information to help people make a decision when spending a pretty penny on kit.
10-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EricT Quote
I used to think so as well, but it no longer seems to be the case. The 77mm is really more comparable to the 85mm f1.8, which is only around $350. The 35L that you own is comparable in price to the 31mm, and it's f1.4, weather-sealed and with USM focusing.
Pentax doesn't even have an alternative to the 135L.

Additionally, Canon has the very nice 70-200 f4 options (the 60-250mm is great, but pricey and with slow SDM AF), and the affordable 100-400mm and 400mm lenses which Pentax lacks.
I'm sorry, I just don't consider the FA 77 f/1.8 comparable to the Canon EF 85 f/1.8.
The EF 85 is a very decent prime lens, but it just isn't up to the FA 77's rendering and resolution, especially in the centre.

I've used the FA 77 on a K-7 and the EF 85 on a 60D (never used it on the 7D).

I'll have to pull the Canon shots from my brother's PC later (the Canon gear is his), but I'm quite sure about what I saw.
10-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Nice to hear from others =)

Perhaps 77 LTD vs 85 L was an unfair comparison (maybe FA* 85 would have been better)...but to keep this from turning into a lens debate, I just want to re-emphasize that I believe no camera design is perfect and each have their strengths.

For myself, I like the layout and overall ergonomics of the K20 but it would be nicer to have a couple more under the thumb buttons. The control wheel on the Canon is great, but I'm still wish there was a back dial (and buttons).

We'll let the mods determine if this belongs in Pentax DSLR Discussion forum, but I think it gives people more information to help people make a decision when spending a pretty penny on kit.
Actually I would compare the images of the 77ltd and the 85L no problem. My point was not about rendering or the images but rather the reason the 85/1.2L II costs a grand more is the sealing and the huge max aperture.

But image for image I have confidence on the 77ltd against the either version of the 85/1.2L (remember there was an 85/1.2 before the current mk. II version) in addition to the 85/1.8 which is the least expensive version and still a darn fine lense as well...

One thing I have noticed in example shots I have seen around the web is the 85/1.2 takes a lot of practice to get the hang of shooting it wide open compared to using various versions of a 50/1.2 - 58/1.2 class lense (actually not sure if there are any 58/1.2 lenses just some CYA on my part...hehehehe). But the 85/1.2 shot wide open can lead to a loss of depth perception in a shot, as in the subject actually can become less isolated from the background even if the background is nice and fuzzy/bokeh-eeee...but just because a lense might have a large max aperture does not automagically mean great 3-d subject isolation, it takes time with the lense to get it right.