Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
Raylon

Went from a K200D to a 7D this past week. I doubt you will have any regrets. The performance on this camera is amazing and the customizability is endless. I can't wait to fully exploit the features of this camera. Next on my list to get is a 70-200 f/2.8. From everything I read, it is an amazing piece of glass.

10-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #17

I think it is a very fine camera and have spent some time with it and the EF50 1.4 and EF851.8 which are both great lenses.
If you have a good opportunity perhaps this is the right move based on your needs?
For me im not so sure....

First it was fast but not as fast as i expected and in fact indoors it missed focus as much as my K10 would. This is not to say it is imperfect as perhaps the conditions were imperfect or the lens was needing calibration?
My point is unless you have a specific need even after looking at the shots the result other than resolution was comparable to my K10D at full size on a monitor.
(Prints may differ)
I realize at high ISO the 7D is much better than a K10 or maybe even a K7 however the K5 will likely fare just as well and if any person was invested in Pentax glass a jump may be a costly move.

I only propose people think long and hard about these moves and make sure the real need is greater than the want.
What the 7D did not do was bestow superhuman photographic skills upon me. The images will look as good/bad as you make them. (provided your current cam is not defective or anything)

So it may be a good opportunity or perhaps the end result will be strangely similar?

I am not suggesting you stay with Pentax for brand loyalty but I have not yet been convinced that any brand can change your images in a tangible way,especially from a creativity sense..

Just an alternate view and that is all

Cheers
Roger
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by prodigy21 Quote
Guys ive lurked around these forums for a long time and have been shooting with a K-7. I recently was able to use my friends 7D and i loved the AF system in there. He told me i could trade in an old broken canon P&S i had for refurbished 7D from canon for around 1200. Im really thinking of going the route. Canon lens's is something ive looked at and think this would be a good move. Thoughts?
I have the 7D and 3 lenses right now 8-16, 15-85 and 70-200 2.8II and will be adding the 16-35 and 24-70 in the future i'm only going to say this once....QUOTE me as much as you want, if the K 5 had been there before the K7 i would not have gone back to Canon because Canon systems are VERY EXPENSIVE and personally Pentax with their glass even though considered old (speaking of their LTD line) gets me similar images that i can live with. IF this is your hobby Canon will get VERY EXPENSIVE SO THINK CAREFULLY ESPECIALLY IF THIS IS JUST A HOBBY FOR YOU, if Pentax gets you the image you want why pay 3X $$$

Work on your skill and knowledge then only then if you find that isn't getting you X,Y or Z image then consider a move and no i'm not a fanboy neither are the Pentaxians here who keep posting wonderful images and informative experienced knowledge.
10-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just another vote in the + direction.

If you like the 7D better and it does what you want, go for it. Life is too short to spend it with other than what you want.

Steve

(Assuming you have the bucks to get what you want )

10-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Forum Member

I just bought a 7D around 3 weeks ago. The 7D's AF allows me to take shots that my Pentax system would have not allowed me to take either due to slow focus or not being able at all to focus (I do mostly indoor events and pictures of my 2 year old daughter).

I'm still keeping my Pentax gear in the hope that when AF will be up to par I will buy another Pentax body. I think that the Pentax system of changing white balance settings (by applying/previewing changes to your last shot) is something really helpful that neither Canon nor Nikon possess.
10-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Canon definitely has a leg up on Pentax when it comes to sport, although you better be prepared for the upper end lenses if you want improvement over what you have now. Every so often I look at the prices of the upper end Canon lenses -- say the 70-200 f2.8 IS, just so that I can remember how "reasonable" the prices I got lenses for really were.

Remember that you are not buying a body, you are buying into a system. Look at what lenses, accessories you would get and see if you are willing to go for it.
10-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Remember that you are not buying a body, you are buying into a system. Look at what lenses, accessories you would get and see if you are willing to go for it.
This is very true. I would look at what lenses you're willing to buy before deciding on which system to switch to. The Canon 17-55 2.8 IS is a very good lens and probably the best APS-C normal zoom on the market. If you plan on buying FF glass I would wait on the Nikon D7000 as Nikkor's 24-70 2.8 is better than Canon's. Nikon's lineup is more geared towards FF in general so you would have a clear upgrade path in the future.

Also note that if you plan on buying glass without IS/VR just keep in mind that you'll be losing in body SR. Since SR mostly works behind the scenes, it's easy to forget it's there. But, without it, you might find that some shutter speeds you never thought twice about using are suddenly blurry. Since you need the 7D for AF speed, and therefore action shots, this probably won't be relevant but it's something to consider nevertheless.

In any event, 1,200 for a 7D is a good deal, and the 7D is a great camera. I'd say go for it--even if you end up not liking it you can sell it to get your money back. If the 7D fills your needs and the K-7 doesn't there's really no reason not to.

10-02-2010, 04:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

TBH I'd wait for K-5 reviews, it certainly looks promising. But if the K-5 still couldn't catch up with Canon then yeah, go for it.

Personally the 7D confused me and it's just too heavy and big.
10-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #24
Forum Member

I also started out with the K10 then moved up to the K7 along with some nice DA* lenses.
But I realized that my main interests was shooting my kids at sports.
The K7 with the DA*60-250 f4 was ok, but the 7D with the 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII is superb.

I did reasonable amount of side by side testing with the K7 & 7D before I had to offload the Pentax gear.
The results did give me more appreciation of the Pentax system.
If Pentax had ring USM and a much faster AF module I probably would not have left.

Having just shot 2 school sports carnivals my kids were in I can truly appreciate the faster AF system of the 7D + lens combo.

Although I must add it does miss some shots in sequence from time to time.

I'm no longer a Pentax shooter but I do appreciate the system, and still frequent this forum just to catch up on the goss.

Cheers
10-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If you like it, buy it. No need to tell us about it.
10-03-2010, 02:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by prodigy21 Quote
Im really thinking of going the route. Canon lens's is something ive looked at and think this would be a good move. Thoughts?
By all means I see no reason not to buy into Canon system. Whatever you choose is not a religion, so that if you are dissatisfied with Pentax, you can buy Canon or if you grow dissatisfied with Canon you can switch to Nikon or go back to Pentax or whatever. Your tools should not inhibit your photography.
10-03-2010, 02:58 AM   #27
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
......Adorama is a great store, I prefer it over any other actually.
Thank you - that's really good to hear!

BTW I'm only an email away for advice and/or after-sales support with any order from Adorama Camera: HelenO@adorama.com
10-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With the release of the K-5 just around the corner, I cannot see the sense in switching systems at this time. For all we know, the K-5's AF will be very close to that of the 7D. And from what I have seen so far, the IQ of the K-5 will be superior by a substantial margin.

Rob
10-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #29

I shoot aviation, (a Canon & Nikon world) my friends and partners thought doing aviation with Pentax was impossible but........they were wrong, Iīve had good results in the websites, high quality printings and a few published pictures with my K10 & k7 and lenses kit.
After I tried a 7D.....yes itīs amazing I admit, but I just canīt quit Pentax feeling and roughness. Sometimes I feel like Canon is made by ingeneers and Pentax made by photographers ( just a personal feeling, I respect all brands)
Go for your best and enjoy any brand, after a while youīll evaluate.

Having fun is the most important.
10-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Good to see all the Canon shooters coming out of the woodwork.