Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a DS owner I don't beleive any of this, it's all a set up done with mirrors...

12-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

i must admit to not printing large.. but viewed full size on my 20 inch wide screen lcd monitor at a resolution of 1680 x 1050 i am looking at an image nearly 36 inches wide..

viewed fullscreen automatically resampled and downsized by irfanview as the norm i am looking at an image about 16 inches wide and nearly 11 inches tall.. not exactly small.. a wide screen monitor fits the film 2 x 3 ratio very nicely just for interest..

i am not really a pixel peeper by nature but having fallen prey to LBA both i and my offsring have done rather a lot of it lately checking out the couple of dozen or so lenses we have aquired between us.. i have become rather good at picking out minute differences in sharpness and detail..

i dont need to print large to see the difference between one lens and another so i dont think i need to to see the difference between one camera and another..

its quite hard to find same place.. same time.. same frame comparison images from the k10 and the k100d.. the linked website has a whole bunch of em..

so far i/we are failing to see the theoretical extra detail.. the images are there for anybody to download and "peep" at.. the problem is it seems nobody actually wants to do that..

the first parkbench image is a bad example because the 100d image is quite clearly out of focus.. with all the other images they are pretty much on a par with several showing the 100d image to have more detail if anything..

the crops posted at the thread start dont have minute diffences.. they stand out like a saw thumb.. i can certainly see a "wow" factor there.. but i cant see it anywhere else.. at least not yet i cant..

i could blame the pentax kit lens.. it isnt very good.. i never had one in the first place.. my son ebayed his a week back.. our lens conclusion (results) might raise a few eybrows as well.. he he

soon the 100d will disappear i think.. if the k10 has a real competitor its probably the 100d not any N or C.. as the price drops there wont be any real place for the 100d and the 110 will do to fight off the new "only" six mega pixel D40..

trog
12-03-2006, 05:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Trog,
The K100 should have comparable sharpness to the K10, minus any resolution differences because all the Pentax K series digitals use a weaker AA filter than the *ist Dx series.

Sean, thanks for doing this, very impressive results. Coming from a DS, I too am very surprised and pleased by these results. I'm still going to be a RAW shooter, but I may shoot jpegs in situations I would not consider with the DS.

Cheers
-Alan
12-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

anyways having observed the lack of the kings ten mega pixel clothes its nice to know that our (possibly biased) conclusions are pretty much backed up by someone with a little more respect in the photographic world..

to quote from phil askeys recent k100d review..

"It's been a while since we reviewed a six megapixel digital SLR and looking at the images you do wonder "what's all the fuss about eight and ten megapixels", the K100D delivers nice crisp images with plenty of detail which are capable of being printed at large sizes without anyone making any comment about a lack of resolution. Indeed to a certain degree a six megapixel sensor is a better bet, it asks less of the lens, you end up with smaller files and have lower archival and processing requirements."

with a sigh of relief i can go back to trusting my own judgement.. something thats always in doubt when going against the herd as i often do.. he he

choosing the pentax k100d because of its 6 mega pixel factor as opposed to in spite of it wasnt far wrong after all..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 12-03-2006 at 02:35 PM.
12-03-2006, 02:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe you will find a lot more noise in the blue channel of a picture and the cloudy white balance shots show more purple cast which to my mind would be more toward blue, I could be wrong. For a more accurate comparison of noise should not both cameras be in the same AWB mode and both sets of pictures be reasonably the same color. Then they could be separated by channel and a comparison done at that level. My 2 cents.