Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is a matter of personal preference, but I'm not a big fan of the ISO 100 on the Kx to the point that I lock it out. The shadow detail is great, but the highlights barely hold or don't hold at all without a lot more attention than I would have to give the K10d. The K10d is the ISO 100 champ for my taste.

10-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Reply to cutlerjay:

Yes, by definition, all the DA* lenses are weather-sealed. But not the DA Limiteds . . .
10-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #33
Inactive Account

I've been posting this for ages...but happy to tell anyone..once again and again..but that sensor in the K10D (and in my k200d) is in a different league from the one found in K-x (which I also have) when we talk about low iso IQ.

When I bought the K-x and put my mostly used lenses on it I was slightly disappointed...when I started to take pictures above iso1000 or 1600 or whatsoever I was really really satisfied...

As using both cameras (the K-x mostly with the da55-300 and at iso400 and above and the k200d with the da12-24 at iso 100-200) I cannot give you a good advice. Actually this is not only about sensors but cameras too.

For me the K-x pictures at lower iso setting are too "digital".. lacking the 3D effect my k200d produces at iso100-200. BUT! iso 4000 is still very much usable with the K-x and iso800 is really really helpful at bird in flight shots at 300mm.

Andras
10-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cutlerjay Quote
Hi, I'm thinking about changing cameras from my k-x to a k10d. first of all, the k-x has a lot of stuff built into it that I don't care for like video. That's just a waste of money for me. I also don't do much night photography either. mainly wildlife and scenery. I really like the fact that the k10d has the battery grip option. Any thoughts to whether I should change or not? What's the difference with picture quality between the two? is a ccd sensor better than a cmos?
thanks,
cutler
I often use both a K10 and a K-x on the same day.

The K-X focusses faster in low light, has better white balance and ofcourse better higher ISOs, but if you can keep only one body and shoot mostly at ISO 100 then the K10 (or a K200) is a good option.

I forgot: the K-X sensor shows less PF with my FA77, DA10-17 or M135/3.5 than the K10D.

Last edited by tomtor; 10-10-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: PF
10-11-2010, 06:03 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cutlerjay Quote
Hi, I'm thinking about changing cameras from my k-x to a k10d. first of all, the k-x has a lot of stuff built into it that I don't care for like video. That's just a waste of money for me. I also don't do much night photography either. mainly wildlife and scenery. I really like the fact that the k10d has the battery grip option. Any thoughts to whether I should change or not? What's the difference with picture quality between the two? is a ccd sensor better than a cmos?
thanks,
cutler
Se tiver interesse e propuser um bom preço, compro sua K-x
Abraços...
10-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
I've been posting this for ages...but happy to tell anyone..once again and again..but that sensor in the K10D (and in my k200d) is in a different league from the one found in K-x (which I also have) when we talk about low iso IQ.
I am with you... like stated before, same findings here...
10-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Well, I have zero experience with the k-x except for handling one in the store, which was enough to tell me that I should stick with my K10.

For those who say that the high ISO on the K10 is terrible, I have two things to say:

1. What is your reference point? I'd say it is fairly decent for a DSLR from 2006.

2. Most of the damage is done in the in-camera processing, not by the sensor. Notice the attached photo, shot raw on my K10, ISO 800, 2 stops under exposed, and then quick & dirty level corrected in post. I have spent no more than 30 seconds on this file outside the camera. There has been zero noise reduction applied to this shot. Yes, at 100% it is very noisy, but for a 5x7 it would be fine, and it would probably be okay for an 8x10.

(ignore the bright spot on the lower right hand corner. It is the reflection of a lamp on the window I was shooting through.)

Here I am a year later, And I have sold my K10 in favor of a K-x. My how times change!
10-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #38

all I have to say Is I love my K10D

10-25-2011, 12:13 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I moved from K-x to K20D.

I like this body a lot more. I like the pictures K20D produces and all the on-the-fly switches and two dials. Viewfinder is much better too.
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have both but I use my Kx more and the K10D is mainly a backup.

If you are not shooting in extreme environment, Kx has better AF speed and iso control.
10-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Here I am a year later, And I have sold my K10 in favor of a K-x. My how times change!
K-x is indeed a much more 'powerful' camera than K10, but just handling one wouldn't inspire confidence. I wish that in the future we can be free to interchange sensors with the body that we want. I'd love a K-x sensor in a K100D body and K10D Body.
10-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #42

Probably too late to affect the OP decision but I moved from the K10 to a KX for these reasons - better low light sensitivity, lower noise signature (significantly lower - dont be fooled - the k10 has a noisy sensor), lack of noise banding in low light images, lighter weight, easier to carry camera, big clear LCD information, lack of purple fringing caused by the 10mp sensor in the k10, better low light exposure metering, better exposure metering all round, useful LV focusing system for critical shots and improved resolution - once again, make no error here - the 12mp sensor in t he kx is virtually as good as the 12 mp sesnor in the Nikon d90.

But if you like the features of the k10 body, then rather get the k20 - better resolution, better fine controls to tailor the lens to the camera and better (but by one and half stops only) noise signature - still not the best around but at least 800 iso images are decent rather than riddled with noise as they are in the k10. Oh yes, add in the lack of micro lens induced PF that the k10 is known for.
10-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I've considered swapping my K-x for a K20 (if I found one at the right price... I might...) but to swap for a K10 seems a little 'too' backwards to me...
Money would be better spent on lenses in my opinion... Or saved for a K5 if you really want that 2nd control dial plus a whole host of other improvements...
10-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
K-x is indeed a much more 'powerful' camera than K10, but just handling one wouldn't inspire confidence. I wish that in the future we can be free to interchange sensors with the body that we want. I'd love a K-x sensor in a K100D body and K10D Body.
Odd - I prefer the deep grip of the k-x to the wide one of the k-10. I do miss the front dial though. I would rather have a front dial than the rear one, but it's not a big deal in practice.
10-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Odd - I prefer the deep grip of the k-x to the wide one of the k-10. I do miss the front dial though. I would rather have a front dial than the rear one, but it's not a big deal in practice.
I prefer K100D, but K10D is better than K-x for me for almost all lenses. The sculpted grip hurts my middle finger with heavy lenses mounted.