Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k10d or k-x?

Hi, I'm thinking about changing cameras from my k-x to a k10d. first of all, the k-x has a lot of stuff built into it that I don't care for like video. That's just a waste of money for me. I also don't do much night photography either. mainly wildlife and scenery. I really like the fact that the k10d has the battery grip option. Any thoughts to whether I should change or not? What's the difference with picture quality between the two? is a ccd sensor better than a cmos?
thanks,
cutler

10-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The k10d probably has better color rendition and noise control at ISO 100 (but worse at higher ISOs). If you prefer the advanced controls, I'd pick up a K10D. On the other hand, the K-x has a lot more of the newer (arguably gimmicky) features.
Pentax K-x & Pentax K10D - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure if I'll help your decision or not. I've only ever held a Kx once, just today when a good friend of mine got hers in the mail today. i was impressed wtih the high ISO I was able to shoot with. Only saw it on the sceen and not on a PC to actually see what the noise looked like, so I really cant' comment on my personal thoughts on picture quality. I have been shooting with a K10 for 4 years. Although I really do wish it had better low light capabilities...I love my K10. It's my first DSLR and have only ever shot with an entry level Canon years ago (Dotn' remember what one) I am able to get great images with my old K10. If being able to shoot in low light is NOT an issue for you, you can probably pick up a used K10 really cheap.

Also, I hear a lot of people complain about the slow AF. I use my K10 to shoot my boys playing football, wrestling and playing baseball, not to mention just runnign around in the yard and I've never missed a shot due to slow AF. I think no matter what camera you shoot with, it depends on the shooter and the right light to get a great image.
10-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
If you are comfortable with a much larger and heavier body, shoot in RAW format at low ISO, and have no worries about autofocus speed, then you might really enjoy the pentaprism, the more sophisticated controls, and the weatherproofing of the K10D. If you don't have DA* lenses, you might want to pick up at least one WR lens so that you can enjoy the sealed body properly . . .

10-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by cutlerjay Quote
mainly wildlife and scenery. I really like the fact that the k10d has the battery grip option. Any thoughts to whether I should change or not? What's the difference with picture quality between the two? is a ccd sensor better than a cmos?
thanks,
cutler
If you don't use higher ISO and don't think you need anything on the Kx, then I would say get yourself a K10D

I like the external controls of the higher end bodies better than the menus. Both work equally well but being able to look at the body and know more of the settings is nice. You can also change many more options while looking through the viewfinder instead of at a menu. The grip can give a nice feel to working with the camera when size and weight aren't a concern.

I would get a K10D if you want to try a more advanced body, it is a good value right now if it delivers what you need.
10-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a K10D and am having issues with it when using DA lenses so I need to get a new cam soon, probably the k-x or k-r. I will keep the K10D as a manual lens shooter because it is a fantastic camera. Like others have said, it is quite noisy at 800 and up but overall, a great cam.
10-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I use my K-x far more than my K10d, but each have their advantages. The K10d is not all that expensive used. I would not give up my K-x for a K10d, but unless your finances are really tight, you may not have to.

10-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks for your replies everybody. i think i'll probabally go with the k10d. I love the k-x, but the k10 has more of what i'm looking for. how waterproof is the k10d? safe enough to shoot in pouring rain?
thanks
10-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

With a weather-sealed lens the camera will most probably be able to handle that. There's an old youtube vid where a guy (forum member?) washes off his K20D in the shower just to prove that point. The K10 and K20 are pretty much the same bodies. I have been using the K10D for over two years now and I'm really satisfied. As mentioned above, the only downside is iso but I use it for club photography and get great pictures at 400 with some noise reduction so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
10-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cutlerjay Quote
thanks for your replies everybody. i think i'll probabally go with the k10d. I love the k-x, but the k10 has more of what i'm looking for. how waterproof is the k10d? safe enough to shoot in pouring rain?
thanks
I have shot quite a few photos in Japan on the K10D in pouring rain. I was wearing a poncho, the camera and lens (non WR) was completely in the open.

The guys on Canon and Nikon looked at me as if I was mad! They were scrambling to take pictures underneath umbrellas.
10-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The extra controls on the K10 are a really important thing for me. I had a Lumix bridge camera before the K10 and going through menus to get to functions was a real pain. For me, regardless of what mode I am in there are generally two things at least that I want to be able control without taking the camera from my eye. Camera manufacturers know this, which is why you have to buy middle to top range cameras to get two command dials.

I'd vote for the k10 on this basis, and it's also the reason I've never upgraded it - if Pentax are going to force me to buy their more expensive cameras to get the control I want, then I'm not going to replace it every model!
10-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The K10 is a really nice camera, but I've read so many complaints over the years about focus problems (back-focus, front-focus) and limited ISO sensitivity that I skipped that one. Have you considered a K20D? Same size, improved features, better high ISO performance, price shouldn't be too much different and seems one of the most reliable Pentaxes (very few K20D user complaints in the forums).
10-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not only are there few complaints about the K20D, used ones are harder to find than any other model out there. That speaks loudly. When you can find them, they are selling for about as much as a K7 used. The K20D is a keeper.
10-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I wouldn't be so sure about the K10D offering better imaging qualities at ISO 100... the K-x is fantastic at ISO 100, with so much clean detail in the shadows I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I first opened a file. Whatever sensor design improvements give the K-x such good high ISO performance certainly applied to the rest of the ISO range as well. Acutance is pretty fantastic on both, to my knowledge. Color rendition may be more of a personal preference thing... I love the colors from my K-x, whereas the K20D was iffy at times.

The K-x has the best sensor in any current Pentax (until the K-r and K-5 come to the scene), so if that's your most important criteria I'd go for it. The K10D advantages are in the body design, which can be pretty significant depending on your preferences and shooting environment (the sensor is no slouch at low ISO in the K10D, either). The 4.7 fps and faster AF are factors to consider as well... they used to matter to me but not so much anymore.
10-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I fell head first into a shallow, stony, river and cracked my head open. I went in at full tilt !

The lads I was with dragged me out, sat me on the bank, then someone went in and retrieved my K10 which was fitted with the kit lens.

I carried the mud covered camera back to my truck and found a bottle of clean water which I poured all over it, and I wiped it down with rag.

I got changed into some spare clothes, tried the K10 out and it worked, and it has done perfectly for the last 3 years.

I compete in 4x4 trials and between driving the sections I take pictures of the event, it's either mud or dust. It's the reason I bought a K10.