Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2007, 04:10 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Note: the following only reflect my use of the camera and probably doesn't apply to anyone else.

1/ Could be usefull but not that important, depending on the implementation.
I found LiveView is a handy feature which is particularly useful when shooting at high level or low level.

QuoteQuote:
2/Also nice but non essential. (BTW, the 40D doesn't have VGA resolution).
It becomes more and more useful for those complicated display for RGB and Luminance histograms with the picture etc. I always found that the 2.5" LCDs of my K100D and 5D somehow small when viewing complicated information like these.

Moreover, larger picture review is always nice, especially if there is finer VGA resolution.

QuoteQuote:
4/ I would put this point in #2 place, especially improvements in the AF-C algorithm (otherwise, 5 or 6 fps would be useless), just after cleaner high ISO images.
Yes, the AF-C algorithm, especially if used in conjunction with the continuous shooting mode, is having much room for improvement.

QuoteQuote:
I think Pentax has an excellent body/ergonomics in the K10 with a host of usefull features and an excellent "user knows best" approach to the whole thing. I really see it as being above competition when it comes to ergonomics.
Agreed. I can easily see that Pentax's engineers have put a lot of "heart" in building a more user friendly interface with better ergonomics for the shape of the bodies made by Pentax. But then when it comes to real performance inside, say, AF and AE, they are lagging behind. So, if they improve or debug these, their body will be more close to perfect.

The only thing keeping me from buying one to replace my Ds is the high ISO IQ which doesn't seem to be better than my Ds.

I use ISO 1600 a lot in shooting available light kids portraits (like the one I use as my avatar) and would greatly appreciate a 1 stop gain.[/QUOTE]

09-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skamaraju Quote
I feel Rice High loves Pentax so much that he wants it to better all other brands. Remember the Heroine of Ayn Rand's 'Fountainhead' novel?
But, the only problem is, if somebody is interested in buying Pentax and he comes to read Rice High, he would think he is safe with other brands rather than Pentax.
One way to look at his stuff is:
"damn with faint praise" though the praise a bit light even for this to apply
damn with faint praise: Information and Much More from Answers.com
Compliment so feebly that it amounts to no compliment at all, or even implies condemnation. For example, The reviewer damned the singer with faint praise, admiring her dress but not mentioning her voice. This idea was already expressed in Roman times by Favorinus (c. a.d. 110) but the actual expression comes from Alexander Pope's Epistle to Doctor Arbuthnot (1733): "Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer."
Just read his last post w/ this in mind..................
09-26-2007, 11:39 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
One way to look at his stuff is:
"damn with faint praise" though the praise a bit light even for this to apply
damn with faint praise: Information and Much More from Answers.com
Compliment so feebly that it amounts to no compliment at all, or even implies condemnation. For example, The reviewer damned the singer with faint praise, admiring her dress but not mentioning her voice. This idea was already expressed in Roman times by Favorinus (c. a.d. 110) but the actual expression comes from Alexander Pope's Epistle to Doctor Arbuthnot (1733): "Damn with faint praise, assent with civil leer, and, without sneering, teach the rest to sneer."
Just read his last post w/ this in mind..................
Good one, very interesting.

You don’t have to read particularly much of the RH blog, to find major holes in the arguments. People just gotta take the time, to look into matters. Maybe some will be discouraged, but you can’t let yourself be put off by random rant’ers on the Internet.
09-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #139

MY pro level pentax...

So I'm new to this group (HI) and I have to say, after reading this thread.... thank you one and all. The sentiments in this thread are the reason why I was able to recently purchase a pentax67 with 90mm, and 165mm glass for under a grand. Asahi makes some of the best glass in the business for their medium format units... I can't personally speak to their da/fa glass. This camera sold me on Pentax... this camera is over 20 years old and will still take photos as striking as any $5k camera. I guess my point is that if you really want "pro level" equipment, I think you should look back instead of forward. You'll find you can do it for a fraction of the price. And someday I may buy a dslr from pentax for convenience, and converter for my 67 lenses because i don't care how many fps it has, what matters is glass. And if you really need more megapixels... because you want pro level gear, then start saving up for the pentax 645 digital (is that full frame enough for people?).... it might cost you the same as a Honda Accord, but it does make the mark1 look like a disposable. Anyways, I realize that my beast of camera is not for everyone, but the point is.... you figure out what YOU need to take the photos YOU want to take... and buy it. I don't think Ansel Adams or Harry Callahan would of taken better photographs if they had live view, or million point af.

09-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bnack Quote
So I'm new to this group (HI) and I have to say, after reading this thread.... thank you one and all. The sentiments in this thread are the reason why I was able to recently purchase a pentax67 with 90mm, and 165mm glass for under a grand. Asahi makes some of the best glass in the business for their medium format units... I can't personally speak to their da/fa glass. This camera sold me on Pentax... this camera is over 20 years old and will still take photos as striking as any $5k camera. I guess my point is that if you really want "pro level" equipment, I think you should look back instead of forward. You'll find you can do it for a fraction of the price. And someday I may buy a dslr from pentax for convenience, and converter for my 67 lenses because i don't care how many fps it has, what matters is glass. And if you really need more megapixels... because you want pro level gear, then start saving up for the pentax 645 digital (is that full frame enough for people?).... it might cost you the same as a Honda Accord, but it does make the mark1 look like a disposable. Anyways, I realize that my beast of camera is not for everyone, but the point is.... you figure out what YOU need to take the photos YOU want to take... and buy it. I don't think Ansel Adams or Harry Callahan would of taken better photographs if they had live view, or million point af.
One of the reasons you can pick med. format up cheap now is some Pentax rep said, and I quote "The 645d is no longer a priority" unquote. There really is only one way to take this, rose colored glasses aside. Up until that time there was some (I believe) pent up waiting and holding of MF "stuff". Think that has been removed.... 67 or 645 stuff should be getting progressivly cheap from now on I suspect and accelerated as Nikon joins the FF club. Did also see a rumor they were thinking about going MF but that is sheer rumor at this point. Hey the Hassy is only $37,000 sans lens.....
Hasselblad H3D II DSLR Really Pushes the Limit
Pentax: 645 Digital ‘no longer priority’ news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums
Thank you very much HOYA.... and yep MF film cameras will be pretty darn cheap soon and good luck getting parts...