Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote

As for the lack of an announcement; yeah, it would be nice to see something on the horizen, but it's not the end of the world. Most people who've asked me about camera gear don't have the slightest clue about these announcements and the vast majority don't follow photography news the way we do.

Also, I think Pentax may have actually learned a bit of a lesson from the K10D and Limited Lens announcements. Those were announced way too early and then potential customers grumbled about the seemingly endless delays. Perhaps this time they are waiting until they have a much better idea when the products will actually be able to reach the stores.

09-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Also, I think Pentax may have actually learned a bit of a lesson from the K10D and Limited Lens announcements. Those were announced way too early and then potential customers grumbled about the seemingly endless delays. Perhaps this time they are waiting until they have a much better idea when the products will actually be able to reach the stores.
Excellent point - especially with the lenses.
09-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #63
Inactive Account

i look at it this way... we haven't heard anything from pentax about a new product... that means one of two things.... 1. they have nothing, or 2. they have something really big... considering the big success of the k10d... im guessing they have something in the works... also, since they haven't made any announcements they still have time to work on what they have. the new nikons and canons are a done deal... pentax is still working and can only better there next product... i think the new bodies, yes bodies lol... are going to make some amazing cameras... but then again, we can only speculate, hence the many many threads already spread all over the forums debating on when it will be out, and what it will be like. but until then, and i am more than happy with my k10d... its one heck of a workhorse for the price! as for the bickering over which camera is better... this really reminds me back when my cousin and i used to argue over which was better, the super nintendo or the sega genesis... haha... anyway's we all know the sega was better. lol
09-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #64
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
The expensive glass that everyone longs for has always been hard to come by in Pentax mount. Or rather, it was hard to find the PENTAX versions. Sigmas, Tamrons, and Tokinas were much easier to obtain. And, since the Pentax lenses were generally more expensive than their Nikon or Canon equivalents, the third party manufacturers filled a definite need. I see one of Pentax's biggest problems being the lack of support from third party vendors.
Very true, it wasn't that easy to get the high-end glass before either. But at least in the days of the A and FA glass those lenses officially existed, i.e. were part of the current system. No more. The problem now is not just that you have to order high-end long lenses far in advance; the problem is that you can't get them because they actually don't exist. The best you can hope for is to buy someone else's A or FA (or third-party) ones used, as you won't get any new.

I completely agree that the lack of third-party support is a problem. Especially when they continue to make lenses not only for the "big two" but also for Sony, and yet not for Pentax!

09-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Apparently you care enough to criticise the guy instead of ignoring him
Couldn't care less m8... Only reason I am replying is because he constantly writes one "ground and pound" topic after another one, beeing compleatlly unfair underway... Imagine that you only source of information (as a potential new Pentax user) is RiceHigh and his blog&posts. Hell, it turns out that Pentax is the only shity camera manufacturer on the market... I am a new Pentax user, comming from a small country (Croatia), before K100&K10 there was no Pentax community... now we do have it, and it is very much alive, and growing stronger... People wouldnt buy Pentax gear if they were crap [or all of us are just a bunch of idiots not recogniseing third grade gear when holding it].
There are tons of things Pentax really needs to work on, thing that don't function as good as they should [auto wb, dust removal, bla bla bla]... Yes, 60-250 & 200mm &300 mm should come to the market ASAP bla bla bla, but there are also TONS of great stuff Pentax can offer wright now... Why should I ignore the source that claims to be objective, and yet the only thing we can read there is "new crappy performance from Pentax XY". Ricehigh has his blog, he can write what ever he wants there, his wright/thing/wish... dont'care... but this is probably the biggest pentax online community, and I dont plan to ignore him here...

Thank you

PS. This is a forum, and everibody is entitled to an oppinion... you choose to ignore him, well I dont plan to...
09-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
(snip) no true Pro grade or even upper market DSLR (don't tell me it is the K10D, the *truth* is just that it is NOT. (snip)

Well, I have to end this for tonight (and hopefully forever), so will simply add that you wouldn't know a professional camera if one introduced itself to you, RiceHigh. By your definition, my Mamiya 645 with it's relatively low shutter speeds, slow motor drive, limited lens availability, and general lack of automated features, would not be a professional camera in spite of images from it being good enough to make those from your full-frame EOS 5D look like they were delivered with a McDonald's Happy Meal for kids.

A professional camera is any camera used by a professional (the paid person behind the camera). In that regard, the Pentax K10D can be as professional as any other. Since your individual camera is not used by a professional, it is not a professional camera (regardless of it's price or features). Since my particular K10D is used in my paid profession, it is a professional camera.

stewart
09-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #67
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
PS. This is a forum, and everibody is entitled to an oppinion... you choose to ignore him, well I dont plan to...
Actually I don't choose to ignore him. I will tell him when I feel the criticisms he makes here are exaggerated or their accuracy doubtful... and similarly I will say when I think he has a point. The same courtesy I will extend to everyone else. My point was you clearly are concerned about his comments, and the way they will be received by potential buyers... and yet you say you couldn't care less. I would call that an obvious contradiction

But he is not the only source of information. Not for anyone, not a single person, unless they have some bizarre internet browser that only links to his site. There will always be another source of information, including the plenty of people here and elsewhere who will only say positive things.

09-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B051LjKo Quote
(snip) XXXX, it turns out that Pentax is the only XXXXX camera manufacturer on the market... (snip)

You may want to edit that sentence to make it slightly more user friendly. In other words, watch your language please. By the way, in case nobody else has said it, welcome to the forum.

stewart
09-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just so I am not accused of being one of the Pentax hammers...I chose the K10D after looking at the 30D and the 200D. I liked them all and really hemmed and hawed over the choice. I think that there are some people out there that can make each of these cameras sing and make beautiful shots. I don't look at the camera on flickr and pbase before I give comments about nice shots and galleries. I do see what people are shooting though. Personally, I liked the K10D because it was least expensive next to the D200. The Canon unfortunately was not weather sealed and 8 mps. While I know its not that big of a deal, I liked the idea of having 2 more. So, I am not a fascist Pentaxian but I am tired of all of the snowballs, tomatoes and rotten eggs being hurled at Pentax for perceived inadequacies. If you want the Nikon or Canon, go by it. If you make it sing, I'll still comment on what great shots you have. BTW, I thought the 5D was only hitting 3fps? Can it be a pro model with that slow a frame speed?
09-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
RiceHigh said:

The K10D may still "play" for another half year from now onwards for a product cycle of 1.5 year. However, the K100D is now close to the end of that cycle and it should be renewed completely (of course not just by a K100D Super which is nothing "super" at all in real).

The true problem with Pentax is that they lack a true entry level DSLR (by today's standard should be at least 10MP and should be more compact in size - targeted for those ladies and beginners) and no true Pro grade or even upper market DSLR (don't tell me it is the K10D, the *truth* is just that it is NOT. The truth is the K10D is focusing even slower than my MZ-30 at low light and is less accurate. Enough said.).

If Pentax can complete their line up, then they can compete, otherwise, their brand will be used only by a limited group of particular users, probably those old Pentaxians or a few those newcomers who found the K10D or K100D just right for them (for the price point and feature set etc.) and most of the new beginners or high demanding (pro or picky advanced amateur users) will not choose Pentax and go elsewhere. The reality is just as simple as that.
So let me get this straight to understand RiceHigh reality and *truth* indeed a lot of Sake must be drunk.

You are all over the place. I thought this was about the K10D not competing against the 40D and the D300. Now it is about Pentax not having a proper entry level camera? Which is it?

Even your argument for entry level cameras doesn't make any sense. They must be 10mp? What will 10mp bring to a beginner? Better pictures? Larger prints maybe. I am sure eventually Pentax will move their entry level cameras to a 10mp sensor but just think of all the HD space a beginner could save by only having 6mp files.

Bottoms up.
09-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Hmmmm...

I find myself in the bizarre position of being in agreement with RH.

To label the K10D as a Pro-level camera?

I don't believe even Pentax (the company) would make that statement.

From what I've seen, there is a relatively small group of photographers (as compared to Pro Canon and Nikon users) that make a living using Pentax equipment. The two that I've noticed (through this forum only) are fashion photographers - whose needs are quite different from many of us, and, apparently, in the completely controlled conditions of a studio, the 10D can do the job.

My guess is that for every fashion photographer, there are dozens or even hundreds of non-fashion photographers (sports/landscape/wildlife/photojournalism). I might be way out in left field here, but I don't think so.

It would be hard to argue that the 10D is not a great value for value-conscious consumers. Maybe even impossible - I know I wouldn't try it.

But let us not inflate its abilities to the levels of real Pro cameras.
09-10-2007, 04:55 PM   #72
Veteran Member

i live off photography money. i dont make much, but i make some...

i shoot weddings and portraits mainly. i shoot editorial whenever i get an assignment. did a portfolio for an MUA once: a 'commercial' looking portrait set....

but its weddings that i do most, and i get some good stuff with the K10D. Pro camera for now. When my business grows, I'll need pentax to have grown too or ill need to switch. however, the camera fits my current needs well. i love it.

mitch
09-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Tom this thread has nothing to do with whether the K10D is a Pro-Level camera or not.

The original post:

QuoteQuote:
RiceHigh said:

Sony has the A700 come out. Olympus will have the E-3 (tentative rumoured name) lanuched in October. Nikon has the D300 and D3. Canon has had the 40D and 1DS Mk III. Where is PENTAX? What's the next? ANY?? Still rely on the K10D and K100D? Do you think people will still choose these amongst the above? (I'm afraid NOT!)
From the looks of it this is really just a classic Pro-Troll thread. Some one pointed out Pentax is in Japan. They even gave the address. And how are we supposed to know what Pentax has coming nexted? When the next Pentax camera is ready Pentax will have a press release.
09-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #74
Veteran Member

"Tom this thread has nothing to do with whether the K10D is a Pro-Level camera or not."

I think he is addressing the fact that I said it was. I am not sure what feature it needs to make it "pro" but it looks and feels good and takes nice photos. I've already admitted that Pentax didn't market it as a pro camera. I'm quite pleased with it and so are the people who've looked at my photostream over 20,000 times at my flickr site many of whom have told me I could make money with some of my shots... It must do something right. I guess I just don't understand all of the hemming and hawing over this stuff...I'm not sure what the K10D doesn't have that pro cameras before it have had that makes it inferior. Years ago, pros shot with much less and seemed to get the job done. I guess I better go switch systems because my intention is to become good enough to make money with my camera. Thank God I haven't bought a ton of glass yet!
09-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #75
Veteran Member

People who equate pro camera / photographer with the realm of sports / journalism / landscape are very limited in their exposure and understanding of paid image creation.