Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Where is Pentax and what's next?

Sony has the A700 come out. Olympus will have the E-3 (tentative rumoured name) lanuched in October. Nikon has the D300 and D3. Canon has had the 40D and 1DS Mk III. Where is PENTAX? What's the next? ANY?? Still rely on the K10D and K100D? Do you think people will still choose these amongst the above? (I'm afraid NOT!)

09-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Wah wah wah wah wah -

corporations don't sit around waiting for their competitors to announce products, then quickly design a response - whatever Pentax has to announce, they will announce when the product is ready, and likely was planned months ago - based on their own schedule, not dictated by Canon, Nikon, Sony or Olympus!

Why is everyone so concerned over when the next announcement is? All the other announcements were upgrades to cameras that have been on the street over a year or more - Canon's cycle is 18month. The Oly is like 3 or 4 years old. Pentax's K10 is really less than a year old...

Chill out, be happy with what you have, and take some pictures
09-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
Wah wah wah wah wah -

corporations don't sit around waiting for their competitors to announce products, then quickly design a response - whatever Pentax has to announce, they will announce when the product is ready, and likely was planned months ago - based on their own schedule, not dictated by Canon, Nikon, Sony or Olympus!

Why is everyone so concerned over when the next announcement is? All the other announcements were upgrades to cameras that have been on the street over a year or more - Canon's cycle is 18month. The Oly is like 3 or 4 years old. Pentax's K10 is really less than a year old...

I couldn't agree more. K10D is 8 months old.

As opposed to new cameras, I would prefer they spend just a little time doing some useful software upgrades on the existing products, and , of course, NEW LENSES!!!!!
09-08-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I couldn't agree more. K10D is 8 months old.

As opposed to new cameras, I would prefer they spend just a little time doing some useful software upgrades on the existing products, and , of course, NEW LENSES!!!!!
Not really. The K10D was announced Sept. last year and only that shipment was delayed and delayed until fall Nov / early Dec in last year. So, it is one year old now.

Besides, software and firmware upgrade cannot help to enrich much further the feature set and performance of the cameras, they need to upgrade the hardware also.

All Olys have LiveView, The 40D has it too, D300 and A700 has a new sensor and the trend is for a 3" large LCD mon with VGA resolution. So, what's the differentiator for the K10D to keep it competitive? There is None actually, not even to mention the thing that has been already lagged behind like the only 16-segment matrix metering with the least accuracy and intelligence. As for the K100D Super, it is nothing really "super" to compete for the entry level market - Pentax need to have at least a 10MP new low level model in order to compete.

Body is more important than lenses in order to compete for new or even old customers. Usually people will either choose on a large brand name system or to choose the body they like first and then built the system slowly and gradually.

09-08-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
Wah wah wah wah wah -

But customers also won't sit around to wait for companies which don't launch new products :-) They just purchase the latest and the best products from those who upkeep the most updated stuff with the newest features.

QuoteQuote:

My 5D is two years old now but it has no competition at that price point range for a FF DSLR at 12.8MP and thus updating for it is not urgent actually.

Oly does update from time to time their DSLRs, more frequently than Pentax, just see their E-410 and 510 and now the upcoming "E-3".

And Nikon is fast. You may see Canon is a bit "slow" but you forget about they roll out the first of its kind products first, most of the time. Being first and lead the market ahead for months or even years, why they need to have a short product life cycle?

For Pentax who always running behind, they should be running faster to catch up!
09-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Do you think people will still choose these amongst the above? (I'm afraid NOT!)
Wrong. Yes people will still choose Pentax. I know I will. The K10D and the K100D are both fine cameras offered at a low price compared to many others, with plenty of excellent prime lenses. There is some debate on zooms in both number and quality but nothing that will keep someone from taking excellent photos. More are on the way to meet the needs of even the most discriminating professionals but newbies with limited budgets will be happy to take the 18-55mm and the 50-200mm budget zooms and take plenty of fine pictures with them.

It's not all about the technology of cameras. Sure it's great to talk about all the latest features but don't lose site of what we're all trying to achieve: Taking beautiful pictures.
09-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Pentax has never truly had to compete. They are a camera company that has always marched to a different beat. People who use their gear, also march to a different drum.

Pentax was 3 full years behind everyone when they entered the DSLR world. I look around and noticed that it really hasn't impacted their success much. Yeah, I shoot Canon and am quite happy with it. In fact, I have a 20D and don't really see any need to upgrade that great camera, simply because a 30D and now a 40D has come out. The simple truth is that the camera still makes awesomely great photographs that I can print at 8x10 or larger, and yes, they look absolutely stunning also. Why do I need to keep up with the Jones? Does more expensive equipment really make you a better photographer? I didn't think so.

I also have a K10D. The 40D still isn't weather sealed. You cannot honestly say the small felt gaskets are in the same league as the K10D? Canon dropped the ball on that one. The K10D has a few features that no other camera has. Useful ones at that. Not sure why you knock the camera so much. I have used it and it takes wonderful photos.

Furthermore, why do you think that megapixels is everything? I know of a lot of photographers who are very happy with 6 megapixels. 8, 10, 12? Honestly, have you seen the different between an 8 and a 10 megapixel photo? Its not even worth mentioning. Oh look, my file is an extra 60 pixels longer...whoopie. You get the idea.

So. I don't think Pentax will die if they decide to sink money in more lenses, and keep the K10D around for an extra year. I have no clue why people feel they need to buy a new camera every year. We sure as hell did not do that in the film days. The technology in today’s modern digital cameras is such where you can easily live with a camera for a lot longer then when digital cameras first came out. Back then, you had to keep up because the advances were astounding with each new generation...that and the results sucked at first and we were all looking for something that could come close to our film photographs in terms of quality.
09-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Pentax can't win the race that Canon, Nikon, etc. are running. It's simply foolish to try. But why should they need to? I posted this pic over at the film slr forum, of my current favorite setup. I think it speaks for itself.

Last edited by Finn; 10-05-2007 at 05:39 AM.
09-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Not really. The K10D was announced Sept. last year and only that shipment was delayed and delayed until fall Nov / early Dec in last year. So, it is one year old now.

Besides, software and firmware upgrade cannot help to enrich much further the feature set and performance of the cameras, they need to upgrade the hardware also.

All Olys have LiveView, The 40D has it too, D300 and A700 has a new sensor and the trend is for a 3" large LCD mon with VGA resolution. So, what's the differentiator for the K10D to keep it competitive? There is None actually, not even to mention the thing that has been already lagged behind like the only 16-segment matrix metering with the least accuracy and intelligence. As for the K100D Super, it is nothing really "super" to compete for the entry level market - Pentax need to have at least a 10MP new low level model in order to compete.

Body is more important than lenses in order to compete for new or even old customers. Usually people will either choose on a large brand name system or to choose the body they like first and then built the system slowly and gradually.
If we are going to argue about age of a camera in terms of when it is announced, then the cameras are obsolete before ever shipped. Commercial availability is all that counts.

With respect to software upgrades, I disagree, there is still a lot to be done.

- allow different file name prefixes
- use green button function to calculate F stop for P-TTL flash
- allow for focal length overrides or entry for TC multiplication factor so that compensation for TC can be added in the shake reduction
- etc.....

Additionally, whjat got the K10 this far is the older lenses, but people will tire of them quickly, and there is not enough to further build a system. New lenses are a necessity. What allows the others to introduce bodies is that the lenses are already in production. Pentax is lagging behind.

What ever happened to HSM motors??????

There is an awful lot that the K10 wqas built to do that is not yet supported.
09-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
Pentax can't win the race that Canon, Nikon, etc. are running. It's simply foolish to try. But why should they need to? I posted this pic over at the film slr forum, of my current favorite setup. I think it speaks for itself.
Yep, nothing more need be said about that setup! Very nice indeed.
09-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #11

Sony has the A700 come out. Olympus will have the E-3 (tentative rumoured name) lanuched in October. Nikon has the D300 and D3. Canon has had the 40D and 1DS Mk III. Where is PENTAX? What's the next? ANY?? Still rely on the K10D and K100D? Do you think people will still choose these amongst the above? (I'm afraid NOT!)
Didn't you buy a Canon because you couldn't take good pictures with your Pentax like most of the other people on the forum can, so why do you care when Pentax will announce new cameras?
John
09-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jfrejo Quote
Didn't you buy a Canon because you couldn't take good pictures with your Pentax like most of the other people on the forum can, so why do you care when Pentax will announce new cameras?
John
Yeah, now that you mention it, he said he has a Canon 5D! That's a $2500 camera for goodness sakes! Why does he care what Pentax does or does not come up with? Isn't there a Canon forum for him to discuss the merits of the 5D on somewhere?
09-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Still rely on the K10D and K100D? Do you think people will still choose these amongst the above? (I'm afraid NOT!)
I'm afraid YES!!!
Can Canon/Nikon/Oly give me a alternative set up equivalent to my limiteds or image stablized solution to my short primes?

Oly's live view is a joke. So poorly implemented that I would never use it anyways.

Why would Pentax's new offering (or lack of) interest you anyways?

Enjoy your Canon and please forget about Pentax.
09-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #14

I just bought a K100D last week and the K10D's are flying like hotcakes out of dell for 600 or whatever ridiculous price it was. I don't think Pentax is having any problems selling right now. Simply, no one can compete with Pentax's prices. The ability to acquire cheap lenses further adds to the value.

As for the future? All i really want is a CMOS sensor for better high ISO noise on the K10D.
09-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Another OMG, where is Pentax thread???? **yawn**