Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #1

Connecting to a Mac

Hi
I am a K100D user and have joined the forum to get some advice. I seem to have acquired a problem that whenever I try to connect my camera to my MacBook the latter tells me that a "USB device is drawing too much power" and disabled that t particular USB connection. The same thing happens to whatever Mac I try to connect to, so I am assuming it is a camera rather than Mac a issue. I have been connecting happily for a year, until recently when this problem has developed. The camera batteries appear to be fully charged. Any ideas?
RDSG

10-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

I have moved your post to the DSLR forum - I thinl there is a better chance of a response to your particular problem in that forum than in Welcomes and Introductions.
10-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry it's your camera or USB connector. Have you tried a card reader?
10-02-2010, 08:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
No problems with a card reader and I have changed the USB connector. So by elimination I reckon it is the camera, but do not know what to do about it.

10-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is odd - I know the camera requires power for you to read the card in it via your computer, but it shouldn't draw power. I have a card reader mainly so I can get pictures off without using any camera battery.

I'd suggest you try it with the battery fully charged and just out of the charger if it uses to work - or better still, try a different battery.
10-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried a different USB cable? The cable may have developed a short on the pin that draws power.
10-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Have you tried a different USB cable? The cable may have developed a short on the pin that draws power.
If the OP doesn't have a spare USB cable I would say to check inside the connector on the cable itself and maybe even blow it out with compressed air or try and suck whatever could be in there out with a vacuum cleaner (if ya have a cannister type anyway just don't try a vacuum on lenses as it can actually suck dust into the lense...had an idiot friend do this once...I laughed at his previously dust free "L" lense that was filled with dust after he "cleaned the thing...actually I was glad it happened because at the time he mentioned he was going to try it I thought it was a decent idea....d'oh!! hehehehe) Oh, an old toothbrush can also be used to try and clean anything out from inside that connector which could be causing the shorted pin.