Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
An interesting conversation at local camera store

I dropped into my local camera store this morning to see if they had gotten any more used lenses in. Bangor Maine has a population of only 45,000 people and this is the only camera shop in a 150 mile radius that carries DSLR cameras. Of course Nikon and Canon are the only brands in stock. Up until this morning when I have asked to see used Pentax lenses the reception has been less than enthusiastic.

Today was different. The owner started to ask me questions about my K10D. She then made several interesting statements. The first was that she had a bounce of old Pentax lenses in storage and she would go through them and let me know what she has. She also asked if the old screw mount lenses would be of interest. The next comment was there are a lot of people with old Pentax lenses sitting in their attic and she is starting to think they might be interested in buying a digital camera that those lenses would work on. She also said that Pentax would want to much of a commitment out of her to become a full ine dealer but she is thinking about buying a couple of the "NEW" k10D's and selling them at cost to promote selling her old lenses and satisfying her customer base that have old Pentax lenses.

She also indicated the reviews she has been reading on the "NEW" Pentax are very positive. She was of course referring to the K10D. This change in attitude is quite amazing. For a small shop owner in a very small trading area to consider adding a third brand of camera to their inventory speaks worlds of how far Pentax has come in the last year.

Regards,

Ken

09-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Forum Member

When I bought my first SLR (10 yrs ago), my camera shop, like yours, was the ony one around. They had several display cases stocked full of Nikon and Pentax cameras and glass. Had a separate case with preowned equip. Last time I was in there, they had a small case with some Canon p&s, and one Samsung DSLR (can't remember wish one). Nothing else. No lenses, very little as far as accessories.
I don't know where everyone else around this town are getting their cameras. But my only choice these days is online.
09-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Better have you look at those lenses before she decides to put 'em on sale Ken. There might be a treasure in them dar hills.
09-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I live in a city where the nearest city is a 2 hour drive away. There is only one camera store in town. The owner is an avowed Nikon user. He told me a few months ago that he cannot keep the Pentax cameras on the shelf. Pentax is now outselling Nikon and Canon in the local area. I only wish he would deal in used lenses though.

09-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A little OT...

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Bangor Maine has a population of only 45,000 people and this is the only camera shop in a 150 mile radius that carries DSLR cameras.
The country Greenland has a population of 56.000 people in total so 45.000 sounds like a lot

Nuuk, the Greenlandic Capital, with a population of 15.000 has two camerastores that both carries Pentax

That said, It was a good story to read, seems pentax are moving in the right direction again.
09-08-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's good to hear, but at the same time you can use all those old screw mount lenses on any DSLR. Nikon is the only manufacturer that really restricts their use (you won't get infinity focus anyway) but Canon, Oly, and Sigma take those lenses exactly like your and my Pentax.

Canons and Olys even take Pentax K lenses with an easily-available adapter.
09-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

She also said that Pentax would want to much of a commitment out of her to become a full ine dealer
Very positive and interesting. However does that what I quote above strike anyone else as Pentax shooting themselves in the foot? Quite "anti-Pentaxian" promotionally IMNSHO. If they want to promote "grass-roots" type adoption, they need to realize they have to make things easier for the small shops.
09-08-2007, 11:02 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Better have you look at those lenses before she decides to put 'em on sale Ken. There might be a treasure in them dar hills.
I agree with you JC. I would hold on to those lenses if I had them.

09-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Used lens

I dropped into the Used dealer a couple of days ago to see what lens they had on the shelf. On all past occasions there was a selection of up to 15 used Pentax lens, also Sigmas, tamrons etc that would fit a Pentax both screw and K fitting.
This time, there was 1 lens only,it was total rubbish to be honest (80-200 $5). When I say 1 I mean, for all makes and models. 1 Only.
Good used lens are becoming very hot property, particularly in the Pentax field.
09-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #10

She also said that Pentax would want to much of a commitment out of her to become a full ine dealer but she is thinking about buying a couple of the "NEW" k10D's and selling them at cost to promote selling her old lenses and satisfying her customer base that have old Pentax lenses.
That's good to hear she's interested in supporting some Pentax stuff. You may recommend to get her to order in a few K100Ds as well for those that don't need a K10D.

While everybody is sharing their camera store stories, I live in a city of roughly 8000 people (double that for outlaying towns nearby). The only camera store in the area shut down about 8 months ago. The only option now is department stores or online. Obviously the department stores don't carry lenses or used equipment. Pretty sad sight.
09-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Good used lens are becoming very hot property, particularly in the Pentax field.
Tell me about it. It's getting hard to find good deals on eBay.

Looks like people are noticing Pentax more and more, in spite of all the negativity RH posts on his new thread. Apparently, Pentax doesn't need to introduce a new body, only new lenses.

Ken: Once you're done sifting through her lenses, perhaps you could buy and sell those lenses you don't want for a profit in these forums. I'd think most of us would be interested.