Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another K-x RTFM Thread: help me compare images

For a while now I have gone back to using my K20D instead of shooting with my new K-x. This is a disappointment to me, so today I sat down and tried to figure out why. Two reasons I cannot change but the third one maybe you can help me with.

1. the superior viewfinder
2. the superior ergonomics
3. the ability to compare captured images

OK, so I must have missed this, but how do I compare two images when magnified on the LCD? This is essential for me, since I must know I have a decent shot before moving on to capture another. On the K20D I just turn a dial but I cannot figure out how to do it on the K-x.

10-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image comparison in playback mode is possible on the Kx. If you press the down (flash) button, you can select "Image Comparison" where you can pick two photos to compare side by side. I'm guessing that's what you are looking for.
10-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
OK, so I must have missed this, but how do I compare two images when magnified on the LCD?
Ref: Page 214 in the K-x Manual, that explains it all pretty clearly. (.pdf version)

--
.R.
10-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
i just sold my K-X and got a k200d. i love the ergonomics and view finder of the k200d and see where you are coming from.

10-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Once you select the two images to compare, you turn the dial to zoom in. You can even move them around while magnified.
10-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I read the manual twice but somehow did not take in this page, as I thought it was something to do with the image processing modes. Hmmm... will try it. Thanks!
10-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Suggestion: download an electronic copy of the manual; easier to search
10-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
i just sold my K-X and got a k200d. i love the ergonomics and view finder of the k200d and see where you are coming from.
The viewfinder of the K200D and K-X are identical. The only advantage of the K200D is the weather sealing and option to get a battery grip. Image noise at ISO's over 800 are not good.

10-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, I tried this out. You really do need the manual page beside you to be aware of all the features. Perhaps this is something Pentax can improve with a Help function that gives an overlay telling you what button does what.

Anyway, I can tell you the engineers went overboard with this one! It's pretty easy to select a reference image on one side of the screen and then move through other images on the right, using any cropped portion of the shot at any possible magnification. Images can be directly deleted, though I find it easier to simply remember the number of the one you want to keep, and then batch delete the rest after comparison.

This is still a cumbersome procedure since it takes several buttons to get into the comparison and one has only half a screen of the image to view at once. The K20D is better in both regards. However, it is nice to have a split screen comparison and I actually find the Green button function (return to centre) very useful in this context.

I continue to be amazed by all the features hidden in the K-x firmware.