Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

New to Pentax with K10d in hand

hi people, i am a new member of the Pentax community. can anyone recommend a good lens for my K10D? has to be good value for money because i am a student. what can i expect to pay for one and does any one have one for sale? Al my email is kigrimsby@aol.com thanks

10-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are many good lenses, only some of which will be good for you. It all depends on what you want and what you're willing to do to get there.

First questions: answer these and you'll get much better responses. How important is autofocus for you? How important is auto-exposure for you? How important is size and weight to you? How important is a fast aperture lens to you? And, last but perhaps most important, what kind of focal lengths do you use?

Not knowing anything about what you want, the kit lens--DA 18-55/3.5-5.6, in all of its varieties--is a good general purpose, low cost lens. I'd expect to pay $35-50 for one. Because of the number of them in the market, they're the best bang-for-buck lens available with autofocus. Check the "Photographic Equipment for Sale" forum here to see if anyone has something available for you.
10-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

As JonPB said, tell us what you want to do and we'll help get you set up. Without knowing, we'll spend you into the poorhouse.

Welcome to the forums!

10-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
As JonPB said, tell us what you want to do and we'll help get you set up. Without knowing, we'll spend you into the poorhouse.

Welcome to the forums!

*appalled look* We wouldn't do that! ......er wait....

*counts how many lenses I've bought & sold since I started hanging out with these people*

Okay. Maybe we would. But we'd only spend you into the poorhouse with the best of intentions!!

10-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In the UK there are still some bargains to be had. On Saturday at a local car boot sale I walked away from -
A tidy Zenit with a very very tidy Helios 44-2, a Hanimex28-80 zoom and a bag for £10
Another Zenit, broken, with a Soligor 135, a 80-200 zoom of some sort, and a bag with some old flash guns and filters, also for £10.
A Praktica with a Pentacon 30mm, 50mm and some crappy zoom, in a bag also with a flash and some filters for £50.

A local 'antique centre' ( junk shop ) has a Zenit with a 44M and a small zoom, I can't remember what, in a bag for £25.

All the lenses were M42 and perfectly useable, it's just that I have most of those already, and 4 Zenits and 4 Prakticas that I really don't need! but I bought to get the lenses I wanted.

There's good stuff out there, I've bought all the Helios, Soligor and Pentacon lenses listed above and more from car boot sales and junk shops, I've even found very tidy Takumars for way less than the Ebay prices.
10-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A great bang for the buck lens would be an old (manual focus) "fast 50" - a 50mm f1.7 would do. They can very often be found for less than 50 dollars, and take great pictures.