Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Broken LCD Screen

Hey Guys,

I was picking up my K200d from the back seat of my car and it smacked right on my elbow...and broke the Glass Viewing Screen.

Does anyone have an idea of where I might find a replacement glass?

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

10-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Broken LCD display

Hi,
The best you can do is to send it back to Pentax, depending the guarantee status may cost you from 150 to 200 Euros to repair.
Sorry
Xavier
10-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'd call Pentax and ask if they could quote you a price. Unless the actual LCD itself is broken, it's a matter of removing the display cover and gluing on a new one. I wouldn't think that would be that expensive.

However, if you broke the LCD as well, you probably have 2 options: use it as you would a film camera, or consider buying a new one. Normally repairs like that are expensive.
10-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I'd call Pentax and ask if they could quote you a price. Unless the actual LCD itself is broken, it's a matter of removing the display cover and gluing on a new one. I wouldn't think that would be that expensive.

However, if you broke the LCD as well, you probably have 2 options: use it as you would a film camera, or consider buying a new one. Normally repairs like that are expensive.

Right, the LCD itself is not broken, just the cover. I guess I will call Pentax in the morning!

Thanks for the quick replies.

10-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jordieb213 Quote
Hey Guys,

I was picking up my K200d from the back seat of my car and it smacked right on my elbow...and broke the Glass Viewing Screen.

Does anyone have an idea of where I might find a replacement glass?

Thanks in advance,

Jordan
The below is a copy and paste from another thread I wrote some time ago. You can just call Pentax and get the parts and do it yourself. If your not the type to do so, send it in. The repair should not be much at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by mnseawa Quote
Do you use them for the rear 2.5 or 2.7 LCD?

If you use them do you use the thin plastic ones or the more permanent anti-shatter glass ones?

Thanks
Mike
I use to use good LCD protectors for my K20D. I managed even with the protector to get a very slight scratch (if I can even call it that). I also found a slight leak on the bottom of the K20Ds LCD cover. Thats the key folks the K20D and others LCDs already have a protective cover. The LCD rests on 4 foam strips that performs the weather-sealing. Many LCD covers have dust behind them, ever wonder how it got there when the LCD is sealed around the frame, it got through the two-way tape that holds the LCD cover on.

The pre-shaped double sided tape cost about .90cents, the cover about $1.80 from Pentax. Now tell me whats a better deal than that? And its super easy to replace. Just carefully and slightly heat up the tape area with a blow-dryer and gently pull up on one corner with a one inch suction cup, until its up enough to insert something gently and carefully to pull it up and swing it open like a door, then off. You clean off the old tape, clean the tape flange with alcohol (carefully not to drip any) apply the new two-way tape (take your time), make sure the LCD is clean of dust and apply your new cover. I can do the job in about 10 minuets or less with my K20D. In fact I ordered a few! Shipping was like $12 so I laughed with the Pentax parts lady and said heck may as well get my monies worth out of shipping so just send me two more of each. So now I have two backup covers and tape ready if this new one breaks or what-ever. You can't beat it. Super easy to install as the tape is not really that strong; look at the tape in the pics, look at how thin and small it is, there is hardly anything holding the cover down and its why dust many times is seen behind the cover, its not really for weather-sealing... but you want it tight I would say.

Would you know now I don't care about the LCD cover, I can't tell you if its scratched or not because I am not looking for it or worried. If there is one it must be small... the LCD cover and tape is around $2.70 plus shipping and some work, why put anything else on. Also as a side benefit you know you have a well sealed LCD cover. Also those covers are tough, it would take a sharp blow with a pointed object to crack the LCD cover enough to get to the LCD itself. And best of all, nothing looks as nice as the original cover Its there so you can't improve it by putting something on it. In fact the weight of glass on the cover could pull on the tape harder and make it not seal as well. There really is not much tape holding that cover down. All cameras I have looked into are made this way. IMO so the tech can quickly replace your cover, its known that the LCD cover is going to get marked up and so forth.

One show-stopper. You have to be a do it yourself handy guy/gal. If your not comfortable doing this don't. Its not that important. But again. You don't want to touch the LCD itself as its hard to clean, you don't want to put the sealing on wrong, or get liquid down on the LCD itself... so you have to know to use a q-tip when its needed...

BTW pulling off old LCD cover protectors can pull on the LCD cover... could happen, might be why mine developed a leak after a bit of time. I was replacing those covers every month or so... Again look at that tape. Now this may be boarder line alarmist but... just a thought about pulling off LCD protectors.

09-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

hi from Spain

Hi from Spain, i have the same issue, a pentak k200d with the protective plastic of lcd broken, i ask on Spain and the sat of pentax say me that sell me the back cover full, with the plastic cover , not the lcd, only back cover and cost for me about 70€, i don´t know how many it in dollars but in Spain its much, much money for repair a simply cover plastic, i read the article, and i want know if anyone can say me how many cost to send it to Spain and help me, i can transfer the money by paypal, or say me the exact direction on internet of the sat of pentax that jamesm007 use for buy it.thanks and sorry for my english.
06-23-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #7

I managed to use a "hard" LCD screen protector as a replacement to cracked LCD cover. Used hair dryer heat to mellow the glue tape on the edge, tiny screw driver and guitar pick/plastic lever to lift the edge of the broken cover and pry it open, 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean the LCD inside (not necessary if dry wipe with a lint free cloth works), and dremel rotating file to trim the bottom edge of the LCD screen protector so that it fits in the LCD cover socket. The LCD screen protector came with the glue on the edge, so I didn't need to add a new double sided tape after removing gunks and pieces of old tape and cleaning the LCD cover socket. The filed bottom edge also had some glue left, so I didn't bother putting any additional tape even at the bottom. The LCD screen protector, although thinner and flimsier than the original cover, fits well and looks great (except the white line on the edge). I am just glad I could replace it myself within an hour or so. Thanks @Ellsworth for referring me to the thread! Pentax never responded to my two queries and after waiting for a couple of weeks I just went ahead with using this LCD screen protector that I bought from Ebay for 20 bucks. Mock-up pictures and the picture of all the things I used for this project are attached (I didn't take pics during the real action, sorry! and used Galaxy S9 to take this pictures which I thought are pretty good!)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo