Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-5 or Should I go for mixed system - Pentax + (Nikon/Canon)

I was wondering whether should I go for k-5 or a mixed system. What are the advantages of the mixed system. Disadvantages are obvious that lenses / flashes will not be compatible and hence would like to know about advantages.

Also, being a Pentax guy if I go for mixed system (adding Nikon or Canon), which one would be better. Nikon has greater register distance so my M42 lenses may not be directly usable on Nikon but possible on Canon.

While I love Pentax, I live in India where market is dominated by Nikon and Canon and Pentax support and marketing is ridiculous (may be I can write a separate post on that). Currently, I am eying on K-5 but D7000 also looks good and I am sure soon a new Canon body.

Idea I am toying with is that there are some pretty good zoom options on Nikon/Canon compared to Pentax so zoom with N/C and my existing primes with K-x.

Just wondering!!!

Last edited by yusuf; 10-04-2010 at 01:40 AM.
10-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, the advantage of mixed systems is that you can just get any lens you like and add a camera that fits it. If you're in love both with some of the limiteds, and with some of the Canon L glass, get two bodies and enjoy all of it. Still, it wouldn't be my choice since I like to get used to my camera and be able to operate it with my eyes closed, and that would be much more difficult if I used two cameras at the same time. I think that even when money was not an issue, I'd prefer a single system with not too many lenses, so I can learn to work with them. Except maybe if the two systems are for totally different things, e.g. a Canon kit for video and a Pentax kit for stills.

M42 works on Canon I'm sure.
10-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The biggest negative to me is cost. It is just a lot more expensive to run to different systems, although I know some will get a Canon body with a specific long lens to shoot wild life.

You just really need to sit down and figure out what the deficiencies are of what you shoot and what another system would provide and then consider the cost. Canon's L lenses are not cheap, nor are Nikon's upper end lenses. I don't see any particular reason to get a D7000 over a K5. Most folks that move to Nikon do so for the D700 and full frame.

Anyway, it sounds like Pentax has a poor presence in your country. They don't have a great presence in the US either, but at least they do have service centers in case of problems and there are cameras in stores somewhere (nowhere within an hour's drive of my home).
10-04-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe if yo gofor a mixed system canon is the obvious choise because of the regestry distance, you can use legacy glasss with adaptors. there are even some that will give focus indication, but none of the AF or other functions work, it is manual aperture and metering in stopped down mode

10-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

As this isn't a this body vs that body discussion, more about lenses, I see no point in shooting dual systems. Specifically the question was zooms.

Pentax has 12-24mm, 18-55mm, 16-50mm, 17-70mm, 50-135mm, 60-250mm, 50-200mm, 55-300mm 18-135mm and probably something I missing. Then there's Sigma's lineup and Tamron's. If zooms are important, fast or moderate speed, I see nothing wanting.
In primes, there may be a few gaps but a very good selection and looking at your signature, you've got things nicely covered.

So a) do you feel it's worth doubling the cost of your equipment? b) what do you feel you are missing and what does it do that you can't do now?
10-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
As this isn't a this body vs that body discussion, more about lenses, I see no point in shooting dual systems. Specifically the question was zooms.

Pentax has 12-24mm, 18-55mm, 16-50mm, 17-70mm, 50-135mm, 60-250mm, 50-200mm, 55-300mm 18-135mm and probably something I missing. Then there's Sigma's lineup and Tamron's. If zooms are important, fast or moderate speed, I see nothing wanting.
In primes, there may be a few gaps but a very good selection and looking at your signature, you've got things nicely covered.

So a) do you feel it's worth doubling the cost of your equipment? b) what do you feel you are missing and what does it do that you can't do now?
I would tend to agree with that. If there is one particular situation, say shooting in low-light at X focal length that can't be duplicated by a certain sensor format, then it may make sense to buy a body and lens for that purpose, but otherwise I would not want to pay twice for the same capability.
10-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Depends on your personality. Do you see an advantage in two girlfriends?

In all seriousness though, it's really about how much you want to invest. I could see one buying a small number of pentax primes and then owning a canon for a high quality zoom. You will just double your commitment w.r.t. upkeep, accessories, etc. May not outweigh the pros.

10-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I can't see much point in having 2 crop sensor bodies from different brands. Running dual systems makes more sense where one is FF (for max IQ and lowest noise) and one a crop (for portability).
10-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Agree with the previous poster. I went dual-system for FF and I don't regret it, but if I were shooting APS-C only, I'd probably stick to one.
10-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

go with whatever works....till pentax or its partners have what you want.

the thing about having gone pro is not what you use or how its done but what you get out of it. If going dual system fits the bill, go for it just as long as you know what you are doing.
10-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Awesome pictures!!!