Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kx custom image settings

I see that my new Kx has several custom images unlike my K10 that has only natural and bright. More interesting these modes are adjustable and in fact some seem to have minor adjustments already set by Pentax.

Taken the same image with each mode [with the exception of vivid, muted and mono] there seems little difference.

My question rather then spend hours trying to find out what I'm sure other Kx owners must have dones has any one a source of info or suggestions as to what are the best changes to be made to the various setting in each mode.?

10-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Forum Member

I have also noticed that the defaults of each mode are not much different, but by changing the individual settings of each, sharpness, saturation, etc there can be quite a visible change.
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There is no right answer to this question since everyone's tastes are different so I would suggest you spend the time to figure out what you like.

As for me I shoot 90% in Vibrant with +1 "high/low key adj", +1 "contrast" and +3 "fine/sharpness". Some people might think that will be overly saturated but I like it and can always turn it down some in PP.

Goodluck!
10-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you shoot RAW, then none of those types of settings will matter, and you can maximize each image individually later, or just batch process them with a general setting in the RAW software.

10-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
There is no right answer to this question since everyone's tastes are different so I would suggest you spend the time to figure out what you like.

As for me I shoot 90% in Vibrant with +1 "high/low key adj", +1 "contrast" and +3 "fine/sharpness". Some people might think that will be overly saturated but I like it and can always turn it down some in PP.

Goodluck!
Yep--except my settings are different, and I basically only shoot JPEG anyway.

Those preset settings mean nothing...and they're there for you to change them:

Natural, Bright, etc.--who's to say what you think each should be?

Except for monochrome/B&W, each menu option allows you to set the parameters exactly identical to the others, regardless of the name of the mode. All those names represent are Pentax's idea for those shooting results for someone who isn't going to take it to the next level at all.

So my little advice is:

Just shoot in Natural mode to start...adjust those settings depending on the situation (if necessary) and depending on what you want to accomplish...and THEN apply those settings to those other default menu options.

In other words, as you play with the different options as to contrast, sharpness, color saturation, etc.,--it doesn't matter which of the options you select, since they all default to those Pentax default settings anyway UNTIL YOU CHANGE THEM.

Once YOU decide what VIBRANT should look like, go into Vibrant and change those settings based on what you learned in Natural/Standard, and they will always default to those settings when you again select Vibrant. The settings won't "go away" when you turn the camera off.

But like I'm trying to say, you don't have to experiment with those settings in Vibrant mode. You can do it in Natural, or whatever.

So in other words again, don't get hung up on those names. They're only a means for YOU to identify the presets you've worked on and have stored in-camera, and when you change them, Natural can result in the exact same thing as Vibrant, depending on how you tweaked the settings.

I hope I'm making myself clear about this for new users.

Last edited by Ira; 10-04-2010 at 03:14 PM.
10-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
tks every one for the replies/suggestions