Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
reverse adapters vs macro lens

i would imagine a lens designed for macro photography would be better, but can a prime lens with a reverse adapter give equivalent results?

i'm currently looking for something in the 100mm range.
any suggestions on which macro lenses give the best IQ?
also if i were to go the reverse adapter route, what qualities should i look for or any brands you'd suggest?

09-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Most people who reverse a lens onto another, are trying to do macro on the cheap. I have tried this and it does work. A true macro is the best way to do it though, and will offer the best IQ.

I made my reverse ring adapter by epoxying a step up ring to a filter ring without the filter glass backwards. Cheap and fun to play with, especially if you already have a 50mm in the bag.

I have the Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP Di Macro. In my area, it was a hundred dollars cheaper then the Sigma 105mm Macro. Most of what I read on the net also hinted that it was better then the Sigma also.