Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-7 vs Canon 50D ?

Honestly what are your opinions? I really do like my K-x but I’m looking for something a little more... serious. I don’t have a fortune invested in lenses so that’s not an issue.

10-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've shot with both cameras - the K-7 is mine, the 50D belongs to a relative.

The K-7 has better High-ISO noise performance in RAW , up to ISO 3200, but the 50D has nicer JPEG output all the way.

I prefer the Pentax output "look" but that's very subjective, I suppose.

The 50D has somewhat faster AF in low light.
The 50D has no video, which the K-7 has, though many will say its pretty basic.

The K-7 is significantly smaller, easier to hold and use (for my smallish hands, anyway).
I much prefer the K-7's user controls vs. the 50D, but that's a personal taste.

The K-7 has SR, with Canon you'd be looking at IS lenses for the functionality - consider the cost if that's important to you.

Overall, I think the K-7 is a better package, but Canon sold a lot more 50Ds, of course.
10-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
haha this is one of the toughest decisions i’ve had to make in a while

I would choose the 50D for Canon’s lenses alone (not to say Pentax’s are at all worse) because of the wide variety. But the K-7 is weather-sealed and cheaper.
10-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

DxOMark - Compare sensors

both are out performed by your K-x :P

10-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own the K-7 and spent an afternoon last month shooting it side by side with my son's new 50D (DA* 16-50 and 16-35/2.8 L), both cameras slung around my neck.

Essentially I found little difference to comment on. For the most part -- now, kids, we're talking landscape here, not Michael Jordan in flight -- the AF was identical in speed and accuracy, even in gloomy Oregon forest scenes. Photos came out remarkably the same, though the 50D probably metered slightly better.

They're also priced about the same.

I shot for a few years with the Canon 20D, so both cameras feel quite familiar; I can't really say one was miles ahead of the other in ease of use. They're about the same size and weight.

Advantage goes to K-7 for video, if you're interested, for weather sealing and for the tough Nikon F100-quality feel of the body.

I could go on forever about differences in the lens lineups, but I won't bore you.

Last edited by bkpix; 10-04-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typos
10-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
i figured image quality would be rather similar with the 50D slightly sharper for some reason.

well i’d honestly be interested in what you had to say as far as the lens lineups are concerned because that’s a pretty big determining factor in my choice.
10-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The quick take on lenses is, there are lots of current AF lenses for Canon and not so many for Pentax. It's much easier to buy, rent or borrow a Canon lens almost anywhere in the universe.

On the other hand, only Pentax makes anything like the delicious Limited series, which are tiny high quality primes designed for crop sensors.

10-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
I’ve actually shot with the 21mm f3.2 Limited and it was truly amazing.
As far as being able to find lenses and whatnot easily for the Canon systems is not necessarily a bad thing, but i understand what you’re getting at.
10-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmydude Quote
i figured image quality would be rather similar with the 50D slightly sharper for some reason.

well i’d honestly be interested in what you had to say as far as the lens lineups are concerned because that’s a pretty big determining factor in my choice.
The K-7 has better image quality with RAW
The 50D's chroma noise above ISO 1600 is....bad

BTW, your current K-X sensor bests both of these cameras easily.

If you are mainly a JPEG user straight from the camera, then the 50D is better.
Pentax JPEGs have always been on the soft side, I suppose its just how the company prefers the default rendering. If you use RAW it doesn't matter, or just crank up the sharpness a bit in JPEG.
10-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It would help to know if you shoot RAW or JPG...

But i'm curious why K7 vs 50D? If you're looking to buy one from the second hand market, I guess it makes sense... but brand new... at least here in Canada K7 still sells for a little more than 60D... And although 60D is a very peculiar beast, i'd pick one over the 50D on any given day...

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The K-7 has better image quality with RAW
Not that I want to pick on words... but pixel-peeping aside, for me, one of the biggest drawbacks of Pentax RAW files is the fact that you can't change color profiles in ACR... (I really don't know about other RAW-converters)... here's what i mean:

For both Canon and Nikon all color profiles are available in post-processing... but not for Pentax....

Last edited by alexeyga; 10-04-2010 at 09:03 PM.
10-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
i shoot in RAW 90% of the time.

K7 vs 50D because in America the 50D with a 28-135mm lens is $1098 and a K7 kit is $987
Plus I’d much rather have the magnesium body on the 50D than a plastic one on the 60D and movie mode really doesn’t mean anything to me.
10-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimmydude Quote
i shoot in RAW 90% of the time.

K7 vs 50D because in America the 50D with a 28-135mm lens is $1098 and a K7 kit is $987
Plus I’d much rather have the magnesium body on the 50D than a plastic one on the 60D and movie mode really doesn’t mean anything to me.
In this case i wouldn't be the one making suggestions... I'm too biased... As a Pentax user, K7 was one of the reasons I'm not with Pentax anymore... and as a Nikon user, even though the results of my limited experience with 50D came out great, I didn't like using the camera due to Canon's ergonomics...

Though, I think both of these cameras are outdated and which ever you'd choose, you won't keep it long enough for all this horse sh@t about weather sealing and magnesium body vs plastic body, to matter.... But that's just IMHO....
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you just go by sensor quality as measured by DXOMark - ie fundamental image quality like dynamic range and colour depth - you don't gain anything by going to the 50D from the K-x.

If it's a more refined body you want, combined with higher megapickles and (probably) K-x beating image quality, wait for the K-5. That way you also get to keep using that excellent Pentax glass we all like so much.
10-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #14

Original Poster
haha if the 60D had the body of the 50D i’d have jumped on that, but that isn’t the case.
admittedly, they are outdated in some respects... but they’re also in my price range
10-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
here's what i mean:
I'd like to see the rest of that D90 image.

Also if you want full access to all the appropriate Pentax custom image colour profiles in your RAW processing, you can use the supplied Pentax DCU software. Otherwise, it is no big deal IMHO - until you mentioned it, I never even thought to look at that feature in LR.