Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #1

Here is an idea

Why not go with a full electronic shutter ...

Meaning?The reading is taken off the sensor by electronic means, no mechinical shutter needs to be there. when we click, the camera starts reading off the sensor, and discards the value after the specified shutter speed.

That would mean, no sophisticated spring bound shutter needs to built in the camera, resulting in longer life (spring life is approx 100000 actuations). No mechincal shutter would also mean, lower camera price.

its just an idea. i am sure the r&d people have considered. What are the general people thoughts on it. I would love to hear Falk's and other knowledgeable people opinion on it.

Adam: I dont know where to put it, Feel free to move it to the section where you think is appropriate.

10-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mirrorless interchangeable lens camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteQuote:
Micros dispense with these mechanisms: There is no flipping mirror, and accordingly no need for a bulky light box — or pentaprism — and accordingly no distinctive bulge on the top of the body. A digital display screen on the camera serves the dual purpose of an electronic viewfinder and status display for setting camera functions. Short of these mechanisms, micros can have significantly thinner and lighter bodies with fewer moving parts. Further, by placing the lens closer to the sensor, smaller (and accordingly cheaper and lighter) lenses can be used, which is particularly significant for wide-angle lenses. Thus, due to the absence of a light box and having smaller lenses, micros are significantly smaller and lighter than DSLRs.
10-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #3

Original Poster
hmmm, the mirrorless camera, as far as i understand, are a view to replace optical viewfinder .. but not the mechincal shutter ..

i am more interested in replacing the mechinical shutter all together.
10-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
Raylon

Well, the current technology in sensor's hasn't advanced enough to the point where they can be on all the time, they need cooling. So from what I understand what you are suggesting, the sensor would be on all the time. That would cause major overheating problems.

10-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It has been done before... On Nikon D70/D70s/D50.... as a result, these buggers can sync at 1/500th and can do over 2K shots on a single charge... But these also were based on the CCD sensor... and if i remember correctly, it's not easy to do with a CMOS sensor... has to do with the way CMOS-technology works... I'm sure that somebody geekier that I am can explain it better...
10-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Full electronic shutter also means full electronic viewfinder.
Until EVFs are as good as optical finders (and they are still a long way off), I'll keep my traditional mirror box and shutter.
10-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Full electronic shutter also means full electronic viewfinder.
Why ?
10-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I found this, from 2005:

Re: Why don't DSLR have shutters?: Canon EOS-1D / 1Ds / 5D Forum: Digital Photography Review
"DSLRs have shutters. Sensors (I'm not sure if its all or just most types) need total darkness to refresh between shots and a mechanical shutter provides that. Also it acts as a physical barrier protecting the sensor from dust, being damaged while the lens is removed, being fried by strong magnified sunlight etc. So still necessary in the digital age."

That says pretty much what I would have, but some years earlier.