Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Red/Green/Purple????

When they say the K-r is Pentax red do they mean it's the same red as the K-x? Just wondering. I'm looking at ads for both and it always seems to me that the K-x is a bit more lipstick than say a candy apple red. I'm thinking they may be the same color but that the shots are just making them look like they're different shades. Is there anyone who saw the red K-r at Photokina and who would know if the K-x is the same shade? Also what shade exactly is the green? I've seen pics where it looks like a muted sour apple green and others where the green seems more ghoulish like a Halloween green.

I've pretty much got my mind set on some sort of K-x for Christmas (or maybe my birthday in 2011) if we can swing it, but I'm really torn between green, purple, and black and I rather like the K-r red too, but I can't afford that one. It's definitely looking like a K-x vs a K-7/5 or a K-r. Now that they can all be had for under $500 I'm happy but I'm also sitting here going "Eeeny, meeny, miney, moe" practically trying to decide "which" K-x to get when I can finally go there!

Part of me says basic black is far more practical, but I really like the green, purple, and that racy red. Don't much care for the other colors, except maybe the hot pink, but that's not on the $500 and under list so I can't grab that the girly camera version anyway.

You know I think what I need is non-ad pics, and lots of them. Show me your purple, green and red K-x's will you? I think I need to really see what they look like all in one place if I am ever going to make up my freaking mind!

Thanks!

10-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
When they say the K-r is Pentax red do they mean it's the same red as the K-x? Just wondering. I'm looking at ads for both and it always seems to me that the K-x is a bit more lipstick than say a candy apple red. I'm thinking they may be the same color but that the shots are just making them look like they're different shades. Is there anyone who saw the red K-r at Photokina and who would know if the K-x is the same shade? Also what shade exactly is the green? I've seen pics where it looks like a muted sour apple green and others where the green seems more ghoulish like a Halloween green.

I've pretty much got my mind set on some sort of K-x for Christmas (or maybe my birthday in 2011) if we can swing it, but I'm really torn between green, purple, and black and I rather like the K-r red too, but I can't afford that one. It's definitely looking like a K-x vs a K-7/5 or a K-r. Now that they can all be had for under $500 I'm happy but I'm also sitting here going "Eeeny, meeny, miney, moe" practically trying to decide "which" K-x to get when I can finally go there!

Part of me says basic black is far more practical, but I really like the green, purple, and that racy red. Don't much care for the other colors, except maybe the hot pink, but that's not on the $500 and under list so I can't grab that the girly camera version anyway.

You know I think what I need is non-ad pics, and lots of them. Show me your purple, green and red K-x's will you? I think I need to really see what they look like all in one place if I am ever going to make up my freaking mind!

Thanks!
Normally the color one do not come in kit with a second lense.
10-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry mk, I got the white one. One thing I noticed shooting this summer was that it was a lot cooler on the exposed surfaces (especially the prism bump) than my K20D. There were times when the K20D was almost too hot to touch, the K-x on the other hand was only warm

NaCl(doubt it means anything tho)H2O
10-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I saw that you mentioned that somewhere here, I think. I don't like the white much myself. Too sterile and sci-fi for me, but I'm seriously contemplating a colored version of some kind. I see what you mean though. Black in general does tend to attract heat and in my area's climate actually a lighter camera would probably be a great idea actually. Nobody does black cars here, for good reason.

The green's my first choice, I think, but I'm just not sure of that shade. If it's Halloween green, likely I'd go for it, but green apple is a bit dull for me. I like purple too and pink, and the red, well, that's a really nice color on the K-r, though it just might attract a little too much attention for my liking.

If I have a green or purple camera people I don't want to take me too seriously just might not. Could be an advantage to be seen as a harmless tourist in some places I'd like to take pics in. My black non-slr, upscale point and shoot (Fuji S7000. It looks like one on casual glance but isn't a DSLR.) has definitely gotten me noticed in a bad way a few times.

It's rather hard to tell from the same 3 pics online though what colors the K-x's actually are and unfortunately if I want to get one I'll have to order online. No Pentax anywhere near here, unfortunately. I'd have to take a very long weekend and drive to another place or a plane ride maybe even to go look at any of them in person.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Sorry mk, I got the white one. One thing I noticed shooting this summer was that it was a lot cooler on the exposed surfaces (especially the prism bump) than my K20D. There were times when the K20D was almost too hot to touch, the K-x on the other hand was only warm

10-06-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
If I have a green or purple camera people I don't want to take me too seriously just might not.

It's rather hard to tell from the same 3 pics online though what colors the K-x's actually are and unfortunately if I want to get one I'll have to order online.
I see being not taken seriously as THE greatest advantage, who would want respect from supercilious wannabes who just "don't get it"?

There's about a zillion pics of coloured K-x's strewn over the Internet and almost a zillion of those will show up as varying shades of any given colour. That's the nature, and inherent limitations of, Website graphics.

It's my belief that the K-r and K-x range are the same shades for each given colour they offer in the models range. Or so Pentax indicated in promos I read anyway.

But why get uptight about any given shade or colour variation? Remember that if and when you buy one, you will then own it... and can thereafter repaint or decorate it to whatever colours or patterns you wish.
That's what I do with my cameras. That's all part of the interest, the hobby, the passion. Or has thinking beyond the circle became a crime?

I hear many people cover their fridges in decorative magnets too! Gasp!!!
10-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Inactive Account

these links might help you. from the first link, if you look at the white kr images closely, you can see a bit of the red kr in the background. should be enough for you to judge the color..

ペンタックス、「K-r」の新製品舶\会 - デジカメWatch

http://eternalroad.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ae46b1f460ee46f789c27b264a6cb421.jpg
10-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I believe I read somewhere that the K-r's red is a much more red red than the pinkish red of the K-x.
10-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's what I thought looking at it, that the K-r looked a little darker and a bit less orangey red. I love the red on the K-r actually. Wish I could afford that one but it's $300 more and $500 for a K-x is kind of pushing it as it is.

10-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Black absorbes heat, white reflects it so that is probably what was going on. The matt black of the K20 would absorb more and the gloss white would reflect more i would guess.

Bill
10-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Wish my K-X were the red of the K-r. The former is more like a day-glo salmon - saturated pinky orange something. Quite a shock when opening the box.

Now, purple, though .... My bride (who does not use cameras) likes the purple. Probably not enough to encourage me to get the purple K-r in conjunction with the unfortunately-somber K-5. In comparison, the K-7/K-5 seem to be in mourning. With no escape to gray or purple after one year. Drat ......
10-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder how much Pentax care about markets apart from Japan?
The good idea to introduce colour to cam bodies has been blown by the mostly garish tones they have used.
10-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The good idea to introduce colour to cam bodies has been blown by the mostly garish tones they have used.
Then perhaps Pentax should employ you to be sole arbiter of which colours are acceptable for the rest of their worldwide market's population.

Meanwhile it's becoming obvious why the bigger brands hadn't exploited this market opportunity in DSLRs, apparently it's only surface paint and some K-x owners already report it wearing off in contact areas.

And gearing up to produce body parts from full-coloured resins would be quite costly to mfgr, esp. when it's only to sate wants of vanity buyers who change petty preferences on fad-of-the-moment whim.

So much for "cute" factor. I reckon there's gonna be a lot of very daggy looking Pentax k-? DSLRs destined to gather dust after relatively short lifespans.

(IMO it might have been better to create a "Skins" add-on product, and let the aftermarket run with it, ala Apple)

Otoh; The metallic colourings that eg. Sony et al. have used with huge popularity success over their P&S models ranges for so long are suitably durable, because unlike plastic/resin shelled DSLRs, most P&Ss are metal bodies.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-06-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Additional comment.
10-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

From what I see in the store, the main color are molded part . . I am in that business and it's not very expensive to do so. They produce a run of it and assemble them on the line. Painting would be a lot more expensive. Specialty color could be painted
10-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
From what I see in the store, the main color are molded part . . I am in that business and it's not very expensive to do so. They produce a run of it and assemble them on the line. Painting would be a lot more expensive. Specialty color could be painted
You could be right there re current stock Bob. I only spoke, somewhat prematurely I admit, of when I bought my K-x some time ago and the coloured options clearly appeared to be some surface coating like paint.

And then soon after I'd read user comments on the 'net that their K-x colouring had rubbed off and/or abraded in some areas of the body, which seemed to affirm my initial conclusion.

eg. The flecked metallic-like dark blue option that I was shown instore sure didn't look (or feel) to me like plastic-resin either. Plus there wasn't an equivalent blue-silver-fleck coloured kit lens available for that blue K-x either.

It all looked very artificial, just all too "shiny-shiny" for this dubious buyer - so I saw black.

Anyway, I'm with you. It's likely Pentax noticed the appeal taking off, and thus went over to moulded body parts in colour if not already. Which is Good Thing.

That might explain too why others have noticed different shades of colour available, in fact I just checked Pentax's latest website pics here:
Digital SLR Cameras - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
and would swear that the (current) red K-x (bottom of webpage) is more the "salmon-orangeish" shade that another user here described - whereas the red that I nearly chose to buy back when was definitely same red-red as their new K-r red in the top picture of that page.

I got a black one anyway, in part because it was cheaper plus came with an alternate 3rd party bundled lens instead of the native 18-55 kit variety.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-06-2010 at 08:44 PM.