Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm old enough to have worked with 64k of RAM and 5 1/4inch floppy discs. I could never have imagined even a megabyte of storage. 1TB cards will be stock standard storage units in the near future. What is the unit name for 100 TB? 1000TB? They will be next.

10-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spring chicken, remember saving programs to tape (paper)? But yes I remember saving up a months pay to upgrade from 1K to 4K of RAM. Oh and there's an 8" floppy drive in my dad's garage somewhere. But the camera used this incredible 36 shot sensor which was much came with prepaid PP.
10-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I'm old enough to have worked with 64k of RAM and 5 1/4inch floppy discs. I could never have imagined even a megabyte of storage. 1TB cards will be stock standard storage units in the near future. What is the unit name for 100 TB? 1000TB? They will be next.
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Spring chicken, remember saving programs to tape (paper)? But yes I remember saving up a months pay to upgrade from 1K to 4K of RAM. Oh and there's an 8" floppy drive in my dad's garage somewhere. But the camera used this incredible 36 shot sensor which was much came with prepaid PP.
How about 10 inch floppies? 10 Mb hard disk stacks the size of a cake tin? Using 1/4" tape with home computers?
10-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I don't think it will be all that near future. Right now, only 64Gb SDXC cards are available. A 1TB card is 16 times as large. We'll probably see 128GB cards within a year or two.

I think that the immediate users of 64G cards will be those that do a lot of video with their cameras. A 30 minute video is, what, about 2-3GB? That means about 32 hours of video on a 64GB card. For an avid video shooter, 16 hours on current 32G cards may not be enough for a long vacation.

I suppose that 645D users may want/need 64GB or more. I haven't heard, but I'm guessing that the RAW files for that beast are around 40MB.

A hundred TB is just a hundred TB, just as 100 GB is just 100 GB. A thousand TB would be one Peta-byte.

10-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Video will the big thing that sucks up memory. I can take a lot of photos on a 16 GB card, but when I start shooting video, it tends to eat up the memory pretty fast. Some of that is due to the fact that Pentax doesn't compress the video, but some is just the way it is. I imagine the K5 files will be significantly bigger as well.
10-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Prices will come down....

It doesn't seem that long ago that SD cards cost about $1 per megabite ...now you can buy a Sandisk 4gb card for under $40.

But as already mentioned, this technology will be utilized in notebook PCs etc., and in fact already is ...think about a 1tb memory card replacing your hard drive and the ability to swap out these cards. Multiple users could each have their own card and simply swap cards when using a PC.
10-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I don't think it will be all that near future. Right now, only 64Gb SDXC cards are available. A 1TB card is 16 times as large. We'll probably see 128GB cards within a year or two.
The size of memory I use in cameras has increase by about 1000 times the last 10 years which correlates with doubled capacity every year. If this rate continue it will take about 4 years before 1TB enter the market.