Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
with SDXC...are you ready for 1TB or more memory cards?

god forbid the day when its perfectly normal to bring home 1TB of photos from just a single shoot.

10-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No way I'd want 1TB on one small plastic device. I am looking forward to the speed increase, however.
10-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering the price of a class10 64gb card is as much as a used entry DSLR, I will have to mortgage the house to buy a 1TB even after the price drops by 80%.

But if 5 yrs from now we are shooting 250MB RAW files, suddenly 1TB seems reasonable as we look forward to the 10TB models.
10-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Why would anybody want a 1tb card in their camera?

Think about it like this. You're out on vacation. You've taken alot of pictures. You've nearly filled up your 1tb card and the card fails. Nearly all of your photos are lost.

Had you have been using something smaller like 8gb cards, and one of them failed, it wouldn't be as big of a loss because you would have only lost a fraction compared to what the 1tb would hold.

1tb sounds cool, but I will stick with my 4gb and 8gb cards for now.

10-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

Think about it like this. You're out on vacation. You've taken alot of pictures. You've nearly filled up your 1tb card and the card fails. Nearly all of your photos are lost.

Had you have been using something smaller like 8gb cards, and one of them failed, it wouldn't be as big of a loss because you would have only lost a fraction compared to what the 1tb would hold.

This is a very good thing to keep in mind. I use smaller cards, and offload my images frequently, just in case. My cards have not yet failed, but I won't lose a whole shoot because one card dies.
10-05-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
No way I'd want 1TB on one small plastic device.
That'll only be about 50 photos, what with the extra megapixels and all.
10-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I suppose if we also up the dynamic range we can squeeze some more bits onto RAW files, at least.
10-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I can see it having more of an effect on laptops than cameras. Reduced power requirements, x-terabyte 'sd' hard drives, lighter weight, longer battery life....
Then again, an I 'whatever' with a P&S camera and a 1 TB drive, maybe the price of old glass will come down.

10-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Col
Veteran Member

As back up storage may be. Extrapolating from current prices I don't think I could cope with the most expensive part of a K5 DA*300 combo being the card in it.
Its the old joke
Q "How do you double the value of your Skoda?"
A "Fill it with petrol"
10-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #10

I think the huge amount of pictures stored on a 1TB card would be a bit daunting when you down load them onto your PC. Just think about the time it will take to sort through them. Even with the bigger Raw files for the big mega pixel cameras that will no doubt come in the future they will still store 10s of thousands of images.
10-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #11

I was thinking the same about a 1GB card when I had my 64MB CF in my old Kodak.
I was wrong

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

10-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I'll think about a TB card when I'm shooting images with 5-10 GB files. Very large sensor(s) with very deep wells. Quantization at very small increments. 4D video.

Silly in the extreme.

(The above opinion expires in 18 months.)
10-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Well every shot in the 645D RAW + Jpeg brings 80 MB of space taken. And this is just for the current MF camera with the small only 40 megapixel sensor. Wait for future generations.
10-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #14

as the norm for storage increase the price will come down and file sizes will go up end result is the cards will cost the same as they do now and store about the same number of images as they do now

what more interesting with sdxc is the faster write times for current cameras - that could concievably significantly reduce the time you wait for the buffer to fill and with the k5 rather pathetic buffer that would be a good thing - my only concern is that the k5 is being given sdxc support as a firmware update - and the fastest sdxc cards will actually have more contact points on them so require hardware to support them fully (though they will still work witout the extra contacts) so what remains to be seen is if the write speed on the sdxc cards without the extra contact points can go beyond 30mb/s - if they can it is great if not then really will have to wait until the k3 to see any significant improvements
10-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
my only concern is that the k5 is being given sdxc support as a firmware update - and the fastest sdxc cards will actually have more contact points on them so require hardware to support them fully (though they will still work witout the extra contacts) so what remains to be seen is if the write speed on the sdxc cards without the extra contact points can go beyond 30mb/s - if they can it is great if not then really will have to wait until the k3 to see any significant improvements
Or maybe the contacts are there, but the software needs tweaking. And with that new firmware some bugs to be repared in silence. So Pentax!