Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ok.. I shoot 2 systems BUT I am

changing to a single system... Ok I realize I may get lambasted here but ...

1st - I am NOT A TROLL
2nd I am probably old enough to be the grand parent of many here..

I have a Canon 5d Mk2 and Pentax K-7, I do have some L glass and I have some great Pentax glass as well..

So which system did I choose to sell off... The 5d mk2

Why?

I know it is FF and yes it has some great detail and resolution!! Is it that much better than the K-7 or the up coming K-5? marginal (imho)

The 5d mk2 has slow AF and Low Fps.. It is a great landscape and portrait camera no doubt..

What would I gain great glass, better af, fps, weather sealing, and in camera stabilization.

I am looking forward to the K-5 and think it is a great tool!!

Thanks,
Kevin

PS.. I have used my K-20 for a commercial poster and think Pentax is as capable camera as Canon or Nikon.. IMHO

sample

10-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B. Quote
changing to a single system... Ok I realize I may get lambasted here but ...

1st - I am NOT A TROLL
2nd I am probably old enough to be the grand parent of many here..

I have a Canon 5d Mk2 and Pentax K-7, I do have some L glass and I have some great Pentax glass as well..

So which system did I choose to sell off... The 5d mk2

Why?

I know it is FF and yes it has some great detail and resolution!! Is it that much better than the K-7 or the up coming K-5? marginal (imho)

The 5d mk2 has slow AF and Low Fps.. It is a great landscape and portrait camera no doubt..

What would I gain great glass, better af, fps, weather sealing, and in camera stabilization.

I am looking forward to the K-5 and think it is a great tool!!

Thanks,
Kevin

PS.. I have used my K-20 for a commercial poster and think Pentax is as capable camera as Canon or Nikon.. IMHO

sample
Great job you did on this poster, Kevin.

I agree with you on the subject that Pentax gear is as capable as any other brand to produce excellent images. It is all in the eye of the beholder, or should I say, the way you use your gear.

I am also looking forward to the K5 but being cautiously optimistic about tests results which, I would imagine, will soon be posted here.

I don't think that you will get blasted here if you are going to use a Pentax-only system!

JP
10-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been told that the Canon 5d is kinda aimed at the studio shooter, which is something that Pentax excels at.
10-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

welcome to the forums troll...err i meant kevin lol

I invested in a Canon system why probably because i can but you know what i remain on this forum because most people here understand, "the image" and how you get it there are many multi system and format users in here too but from all the discussions you'll find they care primarily about "the image", yes some will talk about the tools nothing wrong with that as you'll find many respect all the tools and very little will start a brand war heck call them "fanboys" but for which brand, they own them all at one point or another lol

My main reason being here is the community and a the knowledge they have and mostly if you read between the rants, raves and trolling you'll either pass on that knowledge or actually learn something (well for me at least)...most here don't waste time arguing about brand X vs Brand Y, they might at some point but i think they're just bored and humouring the thread

that said, brand wars are a BIG no no here, just letting you know.

to answer you choice question, it's a Pentax forum lol, if the K5 surpasses the 5D and gives better value vs Canon then why not go all Pentax?

btw if you went to a Canon forum, you'll never hear the end of it...only the working pros will understand i find.

Last edited by Clicker; 10-06-2010 at 08:34 PM.
10-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All very well known and accepted knowledge Kevin.
Good money-saving move.
Is the 5DMkII focusing slow for real? Not what I'd have expected.
But then again the K-7 and now the K-5 have stepped up notches of pace in AF speed from the K20D they're significant contenders in the dSLR market.
10-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Is the 5DMkII focusing slow for real? Not what I'd have expected.
The 5D isn't really supposed to be a fast AF sports monster like the 1D or 7D. It is actually quite slow compared to them AF and FPS wise.

Most want the 5D for the wide angles and the razor thin DOF, not action stuff.
10-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yes indeed it is that slow

the 5d mk2 is a slow af machine... Now the 7d another story very good.. but then so is my k-7

Thanks for the input

10-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you think you made the right choice then you made the right choice. Right / Correct Photography is whatever the individual wants. If you really feel the the K7 (soon to be K5) does exactly what you need it to do as a professional photographer then you absolutely made the right choice.

Me on the other hand, I would love to own the 5d MKII but I simply cannot afford it. I am not a professional, I just really like amateur landscape, architecture, family portraits, pretty much everything and do not plan on ever becoming a professional but I find the 5Ds pictures to be much better than my Kx. The 5D has an almost 3D quality to them that I cannot get enough of. I have gone on a hike with my friend who has a 5D and took most of the same pic and when we got home I couldn't stop staring at his shots. That is why I want a 5D.

But to each his own and good luck with the K5.
10-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Me on the other hand, I would love to own the 5d MKII but I simply cannot afford it. I am not a professional, I just really like amateur landscape, architecture, family portraits, pretty much everything and do not plan on ever becoming a professional but I find the 5Ds pictures to be much better than my Kx. The 5D has an almost 3D quality to them that I cannot get enough of. I have gone on a hike with my friend who has a 5D and took most of the same pic and when we got home I couldn't stop staring at his shots. That is why I want a 5D.

I'm in the same boat as you. I loathe that friggin ridiculous IQ that the 5D pictures have. They seem unreal almost. That was part of my choice to go to Canon. I will one day get a 5D(mark III hopefully) and will have a nice FF and APS-C camera to choose from, and be able to use all the same lenses.

BUT, my K200D will be sticking around for astrophotography. Can't beat that CCD sensor....
10-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a K-x and couldn't be happier with the IQ. What lenses are you using? I realise FF vs APS-C accounts for some of the difference, but the lens quality would probably be an even greater factor.
10-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I've been a two....sometimes three, system shooter ....on and off...for many years. Back in the film days I used Pentax screw mount and bayonet mount, had....still have a Mamiya medium format system with three lenses and lot's of accessories and used/still use a Leica Rangefinder....all film.

I now have Pentax digital SLR with about 6 or so Pentax digital lens....and I still keep all the film gear listed.

If it's not an economic situation, I would keep both the Canon FF (5d) and Pentax equipment...I find certain equipment is better for different shots....

When I'm traveling by car, on a trip...a lot of times I have 2-3 camera bags filled to the brim with equipment.

I use it all.....this has been my style...different brands/formats/carrying a lot of equipment for about the past 30 years or so.

BTW, it sounds like I'm in your age bracket .
10-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
Raylon

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I have a K-x and couldn't be happier with the IQ. What lenses are you using? I realise FF vs APS-C accounts for some of the difference, but the lens quality would probably be an even greater factor.

Lens' are a big factor, but in almost all instances, the FF will obliterate in terms of IQ. I can't find any direct comparisons offhand, but the first time I saw 7D pictures compared with 5DmarkII images side by side, I was blown away and I was convinced I would need one one day.
10-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I actually use a lot of lenses but I will be the first to admit that they are not the greatest. The sharpest lens I have is the M 50 1.7, telephoto shots with my tamron 70-300, DA 10-17 and a tamron 18-200. I am saving for a DA 35 and DA 21 so maybe when I get those I will see a big difference.

But even with those limited lenses (I have seen pictures from those lenses on here) I can say that the 5D is still better and that is just my opinion. Like I said before, photography is what the shooter is happy with. Some will think the 5D is the best and others will think the Kx in on par. Neither will be right or wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kx and am not complaining about the IQ at all, in fact I think the IQ is great but the 5D produces the pest picture I have seen on either a APSC or FF camera.
I have said this many times, I think the Kx is the best entry-level DLSR on the market but if I could afford it I would have a 5D.
10-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I still shoot with my Me Super as well, I would but a Pentax film MF but I am not sure where I could get it developed now days..

Gear is only a part of the story for sure.. I am out of town until the week end and have not placed the rest of the Canon gear up for sell yet.. So Lesmore49 you may have a point..

PS.. If your 50+ then your right..: ) wow I can't believed I typed that about me!!
10-07-2010, 03:54 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually use a lot of lenses but I will be the first to admit that they are not the greatest. The sharpest lens I have is the M 50 1.7, telephoto shots with my tamron 70-300, DA 10-17 and a tamron 18-200. I am saving for a DA 35 and DA 21 so maybe when I get those I will see a big difference.

But even with those limited lenses (I have seen pictures from those lenses on here) I can say that the 5D is still better and that is just my opinion. Like I said before, photography is what the shooter is happy with. Some will think the 5D is the best and others will think the Kx in on par. Neither will be right or wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Kx and am not complaining about the IQ at all, in fact I think the IQ is great but the 5D produces the pest picture I have seen on either a APSC or FF camera.
I have said this many times, I think the Kx is the best entry-level DLSR on the market but if I could afford it I would have a 5D.
Ah yes, but affording is the question for all of these cameras. If you could afford it, would you take a D3x or a 645D? I probably would, but I would end up using my K7 more due to smaller size.