Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

studio flash incompatibility?

hi all, i'm the newbie, please please can somebody help. i have a K10 which is the 4th pentax slr/dslr i've bought. fantastic piece of kit, does everything i need, except consistently fire my studio flash kit. the kit in question is an interfit ex150 which is plugged and wired into the camera hotshoe. the only way it will fire every time is if the on camera flash fires. is there a way to make my K10 produce the trigger signal consistently, with the on camera flash in idle mode?......thanx in advance

10-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Check shutter speed. The K10D (and all current Pentax DSLRs) triggers the flash only when the shutter speed is 1/180 sec or lower.
10-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suggest you check the shutter speed, also If you are using a sync cable I suggest you get it checked out or replace it they are notorious for developing issues with the signal transmission.
10-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keithross39 Quote
the only way it will fire every time is if the on camera flash fires. is there a way to make my K10 produce the trigger signal consistently, with the on camera flash in idle mode?......thanx in advance
As others have said, 1/180s or slower is required or no signal generated. On camera flash when extended automatically reduces shutter speed to 1/180s thus solving the problem without you realizing what actually is going on.

BTW, on K10D mode dial you have "X" setting for flash. Set to "X" and forget about shutter speed, it will be locked to 1/180s. (As with any flash you regulate exposure only by changing aperture.) I am using "X" with studio lighting with no problem, or "M" if I need to balance flash with ambient light outdoors (indoors mostly does not matter, "X" does the job).

And NEVER use external strobes with manual power regulation with camera modes other than "X" or "M" or you won't be able to fully control results at all.

10-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thankyou all for your replies, i guess it's easy to overlook the obvious when you get frustrated.......it's a case of basic camera use rule 101......they don't put the manual in the box just to add extra weight.....lol