Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Pentax Corded Remote Release

So, I am a proud new owner of a k-x, a great improvement over my 100d Super. Except for one thing, there is no corded external release...

Do people just no longer use them?

Also, can somebody point me to where in the camera specification I can look to find out about this feature/lack of.

10-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dummey Quote
Do people just no longer use them?
I do use corded external release, with a third-party RF remote control, mainly because my cameras (K-7 and K10D) lose wireless flash feature when in infrared remote control mode. At times I need both wireless shutter release and wireless flash.

Also, can somebody point me to where in the camera specification I can look to find out about this feature/lack of.
Go to K-x page, click on "Specifications," go down toward the end of the page, on the left side, "Drive Modes" lists "Remote control: Yes (infrared, 0s, 3s)," but no cable switch (and no "continuous").

Now, go to K-7 page, again, click on "Specifications," "Drive Modes" list "Remote control: Yes, infrared (0s, 3s, continuous) and cable switch."

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-07-2010 at 03:42 PM.
10-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #3

Original Poster
Awesome, thank you! Guess I am going to have to get a K-7/K-5 if I want the cable switch.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Go to K-x page, click on "Specifications," go down toward the end of the page, on the left side, "Drive Modes" lists "Remote control: Yes (infrared, 0s, 3s)," but no cable switch (and no "continuous").

Now, go to K-7 page, again, click on "Specifications," "Drive Modes" list "Remote control: Yes, infrared (0s, 3s, continuous) and cable switch."
10-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Awesome, thank you! Guess I am going to have to get a K-7/K-5 if I want the cable switch.
Yes unfortunately. Or you could probably buy an equivalent low-end DSLR from Canon or Nikon and get the capability. Along with opportunity to obtain a range of cheap 3rd party corded releases/timers and other useful goodies to work with it.

Pentax doesn't seem to consider it's consumer level product buyers worthy of having certain basic functions. It's their way of imposing flagellation - and as underlings to the cause, we deserve it really. |-)

Fwiw: If needing wireless remotes for shutter release for your K-x Dealextreme.com has ones like this DealExtreme: $3.27 InfraRed IR Shutter Remote for Pentax/Nikon/Canon/Sony/Minolta/Konica Digital Cameras (1*CR2025) at affordable prices that work well. Saves paying the penTAX.

.R.

10-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Pentax doesn't seem to consider it's consumer level product buyers worthy of having certain basic functions. It's their way of imposing flagellation - and as underlings to the cause, we deserve it really. |-)
Thank God for that lens compatibility.
10-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax K-x does not have provision for a corded external release but you do not need one. All control for shooting in Bulb or releasing the shutter remotely can be carried out by any infrared remote (Pentax or third-party).

On the Pentax K-x and the Pentax K-7 as well, you can configure the remote control in Bulb mode to start the exposure on the first press and stop the exposure with another press of of the release button of the remote control. Alternatively you can set to have the shutter open for as long as the release button of the remote control is pressed. These options are found in the Custom Settings Menu.

From the K-x operating manual:
10-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Yes unfortunately. Or you could probably buy an equivalent low-end DSLR from Canon or Nikon and get the capability. Along with opportunity to obtain a range of cheap 3rd party corded releases/timers and other useful goodies to work with it.

Fwiw: If needing wireless remotes for shutter release for your K-x Dealextreme.com has ones like this DealExtreme: $3.27 InfraRed IR Shutter Remote for Pentax/Nikon/Canon/Sony/Minolta/Konica Digital Cameras (1*CR2025) at affordable prices that work well. Saves paying the penTAX.

.R.
Sorry but I have to disagree with your over the top comments that I have highlighted. Pentax has incorporated the same functionality as a corded release on the K-x using any infrared remote.

10-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Pentax has incorporated the same functionality as a corded release on the K-x using any infrared remote.
Not really.

As stated in my post above (#2 in this thread): "I do use corded external release, with a third-party RF remote control, mainly because my cameras (K-7 and K10D) lose wireless flash feature when in infrared remote control mode. At times I need both wireless shutter release and wireless flash."

I believe the K-x, just like its brothers, loses wireless flash feature when in infrared remote control mode.

And of course infrared control, unlike RF or even cord, requires line of sight, which may not be possible in some applications.

Here's my wireless setup:

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-07-2010 at 06:39 PM.
10-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry but I have to disagree with your over the top comments that I have highlighted. Pentax has incorporated the same functionality as a corded release on the K-x using any infrared remote.
Really? Then please explain to me exactly how I can remotely trigger, on command, the K-x shutter from behind the camera, for a start.

Note that it must be from behind, or/and including from any irregular non-line-of-sight position that can reasonably eventuate by physical or other necessity constraints for taking photographs.

IOW; all I need (and presumably the OP wants too) is the exact full and complete capabilities that a standard built-in corded-connection solution provides.

Thank you in advance for your answer and I seriously look forward to it containing all the "over the top comment" solutions that you can provide. :-)

.R.
10-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep your pants on... Want features, then get the next model up.
10-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Keep your pants on...
Why? Ok Ok, I might agree that photography is the most fun you can have with your pants ON, but... as for hobbies, I think many would agree that photography comes a distant second... ;-)

QuoteQuote:
Want features, then get the next model up.
Yep, like I said before, get any bottom-of-the-barrel el-cheapo Can-hoon or Nik-hoon model and it will support it.

Some would rightly say: Gasp! that actually means the next model up from a Pentax is a Canon 1000D.

.R.
10-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #12

Original Poster
In my case, I need the corded switch because I use a BushHawk rifle stock system.

Keeps my wrists happy and does wonders for my focusing (keeps me from running my glasses into the eyepiece.
10-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Not really.

As stated in my post above (#2 in this thread): "I do use corded external release, with a third-party RF remote control, mainly because my cameras (K-7 and K10D) lose wireless flash feature when in infrared remote control mode. At times I need both wireless shutter release and wireless flash."

I believe the K-x, just like its brothers, loses wireless flash feature when in infrared remote control mode.

And of course infrared control, unlike RF or even cord, requires line of sight, which may not be possible in some applications.

Here's my wireless setup:
Well I can use the IR remote to trigger my K-7 with my external flash units with no problems whatsoever.
I'm using Elinchrom Skyports and they trigger studio or off-camera flash units wirelessly without any issues. Maybe you need to upgrade your cheap radio triggers...
10-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Well I can use the IR remote to trigger my K-7 with my external flash units with no problems whatsoever.
I'm using Elinchrom Skyports and they trigger studio or off-camera flash units wirelessly without any issues. Maybe you need to upgrade your cheap radio triggers...
Thanks for your advice. My cheap radio triggers (because I have 3 of them) work just fine. I don't feel the need to upgrade yet. Using my cheap radio trigger as an RF remote camera shutter release (as in the photo in my post above), I can release the trigger as far as 50 ft away, no need for line-of-sight (I have not tried greater distance). Of course I also use them as remote flash triggers.

I also happen to have 2 Pentax IR remotes, but I don't use them often. I don't think they work reliably at more than 10 ft, especially in the sun.

About wireless flash and IR control, try this: set your K-7 to IR remote control, with 3 sec delay. Now try to set your K-7 to wireless remote flash (using the built-in flash to wirelessly trigger external flash). Can you do that?

Last edited by SOldBear; 10-08-2010 at 12:08 AM.
10-08-2010, 02:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The lower end nikons and canon don't have it either when I had my Nikon D3000 what I did was get an L bracket mount it to the bottom of camera tripod screw now to the craft store little mirror glue to the bracket angle so that you are behind camera wireless remote now works fine aim remote at the mirror plus your behind the camera. Ended up selling the d3000 got the k100d like new plus I can use all that great pentax glass. But the mirror thing does work Great Site