Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

specks!

There are two little dust specks somewhere and I can't for the life of me figure out where! They are not on the lens because I took that off. I do a dust check and they don't show up, but I did dust removal anyways. I lifted the mirror and cleaned the sensor, and I cleaned the viewfinder. They don't move. I'm a newbie so maybe I'm missing something?

One is right in the middle, but either hides really well in photos or doesn't show up at all that I can seem to find

10-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the specs "sharp" or blurry? If sharp, then they're most likely on either the mirror or the focusing screen. If blurry, then they're probably on the sensor. Good luck getting rid of 'em!!
10-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chucuyuco Quote
There are two little dust specks somewhere and I can't for the life of me figure out where! They are not on the lens because I took that off. I do a dust check and they don't show up, but I did dust removal anyways. I lifted the mirror and cleaned the sensor, and I cleaned the viewfinder. They don't move. I'm a newbie so maybe I'm missing something?

One is right in the middle, but either hides really well in photos or doesn't show up at all that I can seem to find
That latter statement shows that the specks must be on the sensor. (neither mirror nor viewfinder crap can replicate in actual photo output AFAIK.)

The reason why they appear to hide in some of your pics is most likely because they've been taken at wide (low number) F stops. Check your EXIF data for that.

You need to wind the aperture right down to best highlight dirt on a sensor, take some pics of eg. the sky, using Av setting on the camera, at progressively smaller apertures and you will see how the dirt bits change from light barely noticeable smudges, onto darker blur patches, then turning into much small[er] sharp blackish dots as you approach f22 - f40 ish territory.

Have a look in these 2 here at how bad mine currently is (and note the diff f-stops for each in the Exif metadata, I have more pics of this too), and I suggest you do similar tests with yours:
- Flickr: Click.Next's Photostream
then get out the delicate cleaning gear (like I must do instead of procrastinating about it).

BTW: those same scene photos taken with same lens at same time of day do not show any perceptible dirt or blemishes when the aperture is open to the f2.8 - 5.6 range.

NB: Please ignore if I misread and this answer doesn't apply to your issue.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 10-07-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Fixed some spelling missteaks.
10-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here you go..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/109456-dirty-sensor.html