Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those corrections take time to process and will therefore make you have to wait a bit longer between shots. This can be very annoying especially if you want to take continuous shots. So I would suggest using them if you are shooting still objects one at a time and turn them off if you are shooting movement continuously.

10-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried correction with my DA15 but turned it off because I didn't like the lag. I also don't mind how the DA15 looks without correction for the kind of shots I typically take.
10-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I don't use those settings. Normally the Chromatic Aberration on modern lenses is so low it never shows up on prints, plus it slows down writing of shots to your card.

On my K-7, it's out of commission for at least 2 seconds after I take a shot so it can process the image and take out CA.

Like I said, the level of CA in modern lenses is so low it's a non-issue. And if it is an issue in say one out of 100 shots, it's trivial to take out in Photoshop or Lightroom in PP. Like I said, although a review of a lens may say it has CA, when you actually print the image I'd bet you a nickel you won't see it.
I don't agree that CA is a non-issue with modern lenses, but it is usually very easy to remove with software either in the raw stage or in Photoshop. Hence, I do not bother with it in the camera, especially since it does apply to raw capture.

Rob
10-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The correction parameters are stored in the EXIF but at present no software, including the Pentax DCU4, is capable of using this data. Maybe one day

So if you shoot RAW and do not process to JPEG in-camera then there is little point in having it turned on. The data is stored in the RAW EXIF regardless.

10-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The latest version of the Pentax DCU, 4.31 appears to actually use the stored lens correction parameters - two new 'auto' check-boxes have appeared in the interface. It seems to work as effectively as the in-camera processing on the couple of lenses that I've tried.

Hopefully now that Pentax have told SilkyPix how to do it, it will also find its way into SilkyPix Developer Studio Pro. The Pentax DCU is such a pain to use. So slow and antiquated.
10-31-2010, 03:58 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
so lens correction is basically in lieu of actually making better-quality lenses with less CA and distortion in the first place?